Netherlands vs Italy - Monday 9th June [r]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Dutch Treat, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a match to look forward to!

I think the Italians are favorites in this game. They have a well rounded squad and are not really lacking in any department and showed so in the qualifiers. Tough team to beat.
    The Dutch have lots of firepower in midfield & attack, but the defense is not up to par. Will they be able to outscore their opponents at the Euro2008?

Netherlands qualifying round :

G W D L F A Pts
    12 8 2 2 15 5 26

Italy's qualifying round :

G W D L F A Pts
    12 9 2 1 22 9 29

We al know qualifying is what it is, qualifying, but we have some interesting data here.
    As I've said earlier, The Italians have a solid team. Topped the group above France & Scotland. Netherlands ended 2nd in their group behind Romania and just one point above Bulgaria.
    But looking at the statistics we see that, strangely enough, the Italians conceded more goals ( 9 ) than the Dutch( 5 ) , while the Italians ( 22 ) outscored the Dutch ( 15 ). Still I believe that Italy's main strength is their defense & midfield, and the Netherlands main strengths is their midfield & offense.

I think there's going to be 2 key factors in this game.

1. Is Italy going to be there right from the start? They often start a bit below par, slowly growing into the tournament. Their first game at tournaments often seems to be a cautious one, but this is not a game to do so. If they do, I can see the Dutch take the win. Choosing defense against that much firepower is asking for trouble.

2. Marco van Basten. The Dutch coach has been criticized a lot for his player management, player selection and field tactics. There seems to be a bit of a shift lately, he actually started to listen to the players. Is there still time to change, or will he hold on to his believes and start with a 4-3-3 again? Since Cocu stopped international football, we just can't seem to be playing the 4-3-3 as effective as we used to. If he choses the 4-3-3, I think our midfield disappears as it's too offensive & lightweight, and I can see Italy take the win.

I'm not going to post line-ups, going to wait for the final squads to be announced first.

My prediction for now : 1-1 ( subject to change )

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Netherlands vs Italy - Monday 9th June

shit, holland only scored 15 goals in 12 games??? I knew we were spoilt with 35 from 12 games but that really is a surprise

3. Khaloisha

Khaloisha Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Milano

There's something strange here, same win/draw/lose but different points? :p

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

I predict a boring 0-0.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They were actually 8-2-2.

But 15 goals in 12 matches is a shocking total considering they got to play two matches each against Luxembourg, Albania, and Belarus. Actually, Belarus scored more goals than the Netherlands during qualifying. But we all know qualifying means little when the final tournament kicks off. I wouldn't be surprised if Holland explodes at Euro 2008. But I'm gonna stick with my earlier prediction that neither the Dutch or Italians will make it out of this group.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

I've been trying to tell this forum for years that the Dutch have played ultra-conservative, defensive football under Van Basten's leadership. But he's changed a lot over the past couple of months so who knows.

I'm still going for Italy & the NL to go through.

7. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

I think Heitinga/Mathijsen could struggle against Toni, while our defenders are lacking a bit of pace so Robben or RVP could expose them.

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Oops my bad. Damn that copy & paste stuff. :)

Spartak is right, the Dutch have a 8-2-2 record.

9. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I'm more worried about out RB, that's our weak spot.

10. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Who's likely to play RB? Melchiot or Ooijer?

11. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald

italy will underestimate the durch. the dutch will win 2-1.

12. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Melchiot probably. He's played the last games, but is currently coming back from an injury. Not too convinced about him at RB, though. Then we have Kromkamp, he has something to add offensively, but I don't really consider him a fine RB either.

I think van Basten should have included Zuiverloon. He has had a very good season.

13. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008

Is this just a hunch? I would hope people would refrain from predicting outlandish group results until AFTER the actual squads have been announced. Don't get me wrong, it's entirely possible that neither Italy nor Holland will make it out of Group C... possible, but not probable, in Italy's case at least. The only way I can see Italy being buried alive in Group C is if they insist upon starting as slowly as they have in past tournaments... but when one considers the awe and trepidation that surrounds this group of death, I honestly don't think Italy has any choice but to start out strong. And they play very, very well when they're backed up into a corner :rolleyes:

14. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, it's a fact. I don't know why all the bookmakers are even taking bets on this group when all the facts point to France and Romania finishing in the top two. If I were you I'd take all your life savings and place a bet on France and Romania progressing. It's easy money.

;)

15. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Really?

where are these facts?

16. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008

He was kidding. Oh well, we'll just have to see, won't we?

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Our full backs are mediocre but then again I don't expect Italy to play an adventurous system of football with two wide wingers up front so that shouldn't be that much of a problem. The Italian style of football doesn't suit us though. I've got a feeling that you've got the best track record against us out of all European nations.

Our best quality unfortunately is that even when we play rubbish football we've got a whole bunch of players with the individual quality to score on a whim and out of nowhere. So I predict a lot of 'the Dutch didn't deserve to win that game' posts on this board once the tournament starts.

18. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Just wondering, what was the last game NL won although you thought they didn't deserve to? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So what you're saying is NL have not won many games :D

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

90% of all qualifying games we've played under Van Basten's leadership.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Holland were ridiculously short on goals in that campaign...what was the most goals scored in a match? Two I'd guess?

22. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Are you seriously saying Holland did not deserve to win against Luxembourg, Belarus, Albania and Slovenia? I can't judge that as I haven't watched these games. You might be in a bit of trouble then....

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Three. I just looked this up:

Qualifying round
    02/09/06 v Luxembourg (A) 1 - 0
    06/09/06 v Belarus (H) 3 - 0
    07/10/06 v Bulgaria (A) 1 - 1
    11/10/06 v Albania (H) 2 - 1
    24/03/07 v Romania (H) 0 - 0
    28/03/07 v Slovenia (A) 1 - 0
    08/09/07 v Bulgaria (H) 2 - 0
    12/09/07 v Albania (A) 1 - 0
    13/10/07 v Romania (A) 0 - 1
    17/10/07 v Slovenia (H) 2 - 0
    17/11/07 v Luxembourg (H) 1 - 0
    21/11/07 v Belarus (A) 1 - 2

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Yes that is what i am seriously saying. Check our goal difference in the last qualifying campaign.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

But like I said, even when we were extremely rubbish, there was always the individual class of one player to save the day.

Oh and Van Basten has completely changed the tactics in recent months btw. We're no longer playing a 4-3-3, the whole team now evolves around Sneijder's free role. Which led us easily past Croatia recently.