Netherlands vs Costa Rica - WC Quarter Final

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 2, 2014.

?

What is going to happen in this game?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2014.
  1. Big win for Costa Rica (3 goal difference).

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Small win for Costa Rica.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This will end in penalty's and looking at the game vs Greece, CR will win it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Penalty's, but Netherlands will win it, like the last time in Euro 2004 vs Sweden.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Small win for Netherlands.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Smashing win for la Naranja Mecánica .

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Time zone converter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Costa Rica's results so far at this WC:

[​IMG]

Netherlands results so far at this WC:

[​IMG]

Stats Table:

[​IMG]

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So with the game vs Australia still fresh in my mind, I wonder if we will see the same thing happening. Almost all players not reaching their own level. Worst of all is that we will miss this vital player in our midfield:

[​IMG]

One could argue that he is the most important player after Arjen Robben, maybe on par. This is the one player of the whole defensive block I did not want lose and of course he got an injury that will sideline him for the rest of the WC. We won the battle vs Mexico, but lost the war IMO, by getting de Jong injured in that game.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Based on the statistical table:

#1 Colombia plays #7 Brasil
    #2 Nederland plays #8 Costa Rica
    #5 France plays #6 Germany
    # 3 Argentina plays # 4 Belgium

This fell very neatly into place. Almost looks like a fair seeding draw.
    The final remaining undefeated teams are all in the quarterfinals.
    The stage is now set for the final push to the finish line !

michaelwo repped this.
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just want an easy 3-0 win.

No more nailbiters like Mexico game please, my nerves can't handle any more of that :eek:

windycity and MrOranjeBal repped this.
  7. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will be interesting what LVG does now in De Jong's absence.

Bring in De Guzman/Clasie as DM's with Blind LWB and Kuyt as RWB is what i would do probably assuming the same 3-5-2 formation.

Though against Costa Rica would be tempting to bring in Depay on the left with Robben on the right and go 4-3-3 from the start.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's interesting that we are all moaning and groaning about the loss of de Jong when only a year ago many of us considered him washed up with no chance of making the NT for this WC. My how things change. Perhaps we can bring back van Bommel to do the enforcement duties in midfield.:D

Back to the main point, this will be an interesting match but I don't think Costa Rica poses as many dangers as Mexico. Also their best midfielder is suspended for the match and I've heard his replacement is doubtful as well. Still I don't think van Gaal will let the team lose focus. It may be that they slide back to a 4-3-3 for this match since there is not the same type of attacking danger that would warrant a 3-5-2. Both teams should be well rested because of the extra day of rest.

9. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Small win probably.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal has made all the right moves so far and my hopes for this match will be to have the boys firing from the opening whistle.
    In the last match the start was slow and defensively there appeared to be lots of ball watching. Better support and coverage from all of the defensive players is a must at this stage of the tournament.
    Ciliessen also needs a better performance. He was clearly nervous and positionally lost in the 1st Half against Mexico.
    The loss of De Jong is a cruel blow and Blind is nowhere near Nigel in his ability to breakup the play or cover for that matter. That said leave Blind left.
    I think Winjaldum has done well and will continue to play. Athletically he is best served to play in that holding role imo. I think he is a very versatile player with a big future.
    Kuyt plays as well on the right is my thought, but perhaps he tucks inside and then Janmaat returns to the right. If no Janmaat then maybe Clasie gets a run which leaves Kuyt on the right. I am not sure if Fer is healthy enough to play and I don't rate DeGuzman.
    Everything else stays as is.
    1 Cilessen
    2 Vlaar
    3 De Vrij
    4 Martins Indi
    5 Blind
    15 Kuyt
    16 Clasie or 17 Fer
    20 Winjaldum
    10 Sneijder
    9 Van Persie
    11 Robben

3-0 Oranje.

11. runnerup

runnerup Member

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Start with 4-3-3, score some goals and relax in the second half with 5-3-2 and some breaks.
    Kuyt right (wing)back, hope that Blind doesn't have to defend much in midfield since he was terrible there (also against Chile as left central defender he could just about hang on, with one yellow and just not a penalty). Or try Clasie, why not, we may need him in the next match since Blind has his yellow and leave BMI out for the first halve.
    Second halve Van Persie off and Depay and Robben up front. Or Lens, as a defensive running 'attacker'.

By the way, it's not just the general opinion about Nigel that shifted, also on Kuyt, although about Dirk it can be said the finally he is used properly so his (coaches') former critics were right.

12. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I doubt Van Gaal will play 5-3-2 against Costa Rica. Their 5-2-3 would put them one on one with our defenders will they still have one man free at the back. 4-3-3 on the other hand means the wingers will have to track CR's wingbacks, something Van Gaal doesn't like either, but in this case I'm not sure he has a choice.

This will not be an easy game. Costa Rica has defended well as a unit and can break with pace. They are also dangerous at set pieces. I don't think they will defend as high up as they did against Italy. Shutting down their wings will be key.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Which is why a 4-3-3 makes sense. With proper wingers the fullbacks/wingbacks are going to have to defend much more or they risk being torn apart. Sneijder will also need to step up and be the boss of the offensive midfield.

14. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where was that taken?
    And when??

15. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In Amsterdam but I am not sure when.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

This guy.

JC-14 repped this.
  18. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One game at a time now...next up...Costa Rica...and Holland has no business losing to COSTA RICA period end of story.

DeJong was playing well...but he's not a WC all star midfielder and one player does not make a team so hopefully whoever LVG picks to start can and should step up and do the job. Janmaat should be back in and hopefully Fer is fit and Depay is starting or subbed in early.

What color jersey's will Holland be wearing?

19. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How's Interest In WC2014 In Canada?

FIFA World Cup on CBC attracts record audiences...

Very impressive numbers especially considering many of the WC2014 games were played weekdays starting at
    12pm & 3pm est when many people were working...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/fifa-world-cup-on-cbc-attracts-record-audiences-1.2694743

CBC is engaging record audiences with its comprehensive, multi-platform coverage of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Analytics compiled since June 12 show a record 29.5 million Canadians have tuned in to soccer coverage provided by CBC/Radio-Canada and its partners.

That eclipses CBC's cumulative reach for the entire World Cup tournament held in South Africa in 2010.
    Five of the eight knockout-stage matches averaged audiences in excess of two million, highlighted by 2.7 million viewers taking in Belgium's extra-time win over the United States.

Overall, the Round of 16 averaged 2.1 million on CBC. That's up a whopping 42 per cent from 2010.
    Numbers Game
    • 29.5 - Millions of Canadians who have tuned in to coverage
    • 5.5 - Millions of viewers to have consumed content digitally
    • 8 - Million hours of coverage streamed by fans on web or app
    • 95 - Percent of new Canadians engaged in CBC's coverage
    The FIFA World Cup resumes Friday with quarter-final matches featuring France vs. Germany (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 11:30 a.m. ET) and Brazil vs. Colombia (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 3:30 p.m. ET).

sonicdream repped this.
  20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    In a World Cup of stand-out goalkeepers, (Neuer, Courtois, Howard, M'Bohli, Enyeama, Ochoa), I think Costa Rica's Keylor Navas has been at the top. Navas was also considered the top keeper in La Liga this year. He will be hard to beat on Saturday.

Speaking of keepers, Cillessen often looks like he is just hanging on. Why not give Krul or Vorm a try?

21. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The "Flying Dutchmen" of World Cup 2014!!!
    [​IMG]

Radu Razvan and Antario2 repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watch a lot of Spanish football and had not even heard of Navas until this tournament. He certainly was not the top keeper in the league as that honor went to Courtois and he was miles behind Valdez until a knee injury knocked the Barca keeper out of action.

Cillessen has been passable and nothing more. I was as surprised as anyone that he got the #1 shirt above Vorm and Krul but then I'm not the manager. He will certainly start on Saturday as it's quite risky to switch keepers at this point. He's also much better at ball distribution than the two substitutes.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well we got assigned one of the worst match officials left in the pool for the Costa Rica match, Irmatov from Uzbekistan. He is having a very bad tournament and there's lots of criticism of him on the Big Soccer referee forum: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/world-cup-2014-refereeing.1612/ where you can read comments on every match. I would have much preferred Webb.

24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not good to hear or read this. As a longtime supporter of Holland I can never escape the facts of piss poor referees that have caused much heartache. Remember 1994 and 1998.
    Enough of the 3rd World Referees Fifa!
    That said Oranje have more talent and should win this match.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Museumplein. Probably the final 2010.