Nervousness

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by sudhan, Aug 31, 2002.

1. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    I need your advice. Before big games (like tournaments), if I play with big guys or if alot of ppl are watching, I feel nervous. Not so nervous though cos' i still ask for the ball, do tricks. I am scared that my team mates will condemn me if i lose the ball. i think they are some of the reasons i am nervous. Because of nervousness, i can't perform well. What can i do? Do ani of you ppl experience this before? Pls help...

2. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, I'm the opposite like most, I LOVE people watching me play.

Maybe you could try imagining people are not really watching you, just focus your attention totally on the game.

As for playing bigger people, I'm not sure.

3. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Yesterday I played in my first NCAA D2 soccer game. I started and my performance would decide whether or not i get a pretty big scholarship. I was nervous as fvck! I had to take a piss about 4 times within a half hour. I was also pretty nausceus on the bus ride over. But once the game started, man, I was up for it. I posted a shutout with some good saves in there and the team and coaching staff were very confident on my performance.
    Best way to overcome nervousness is to just smile, have fun in warm ups, and during the game, keep telling yourself to bring it on. Everybody is going to lose the ball, even Zidane. Don't worry about that. You'll play a lot better if you have no worries going into the game.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've heard loads of stories about pro footballers who get so nervous before games they throw up, so it's not an inexperience thing.

Nothing wrong with doing tricks, just don't do them in you own penalty box. You didn't state your position but if you are a defender keep it simple until your nerves settle, and remember the saying "nobody ever scored from row Z".

5. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    i play as a forward. so i need to do some really good passes but i am feeling nervous...how?

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Cannon, for one.

7. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Well everyone loses the ball. Just score a goal a game and it wont matter how many balls you lose.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Keep it simple for the opening minutes until you play yourself in and pretty soon you’ll wonder what you were worried about .
    After you’ve scored a couple of goals then you can relax and show your tricks. Remember to save something for the second half….;)

Or this from one of Liverpool’s top managers..
    "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."
    Bob Paisley

9. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Didn't always help Andy Cole though..........

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As for playing bigger boys...

I played waterpolo for 13 years. I usually had to play bigger guys since I was pretty good. If the ref wasn't watching.... POW.... right on the chin. This would make them very mad (duhhh) so they would be focussed on me instead of the game. Even if not completely so... they will start playing very physical. The ref will see that and they will probably not get away with to much.

Now... I wouldn't do the exact same thing on the footballfield... a bust on the chin will still be very obvious in a game that's played primarily with the feet. But you probably get the idea. Good luck. And most importantly enjoy playing... it's a fun game to play!

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    PS. before you start thinking I'm a lunatic... this was not common but the opposing player usually didn't see it as an outrage. It's a very physical sport.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Nah...You're a lunatic..:D

We had a striker like that, the first couple of times he faced the center defender he'd smack the ball straight at him and run into him.
    "It was an accident ref..!!!"
    The third time he'd blow right by as the defender was bracing himself for another round.

13. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nerves - totally natural and there's nothing you can do about them...

Just be aware that you will become less nervous as you become more experienced... Most people are nervous when they join a new team as you may not know people but as soon as you play a few games you will feel more comfortable...

Do NOT worry about playing badly or losing the ball. Have condifence in you're ability and be aware that by making mistakes you are learning at all times and try not to make the same mistakes again - and before you know it you're a better player...