Nelson Rodriguez Career Deathwatch

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Sep 20, 2015.

1. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    holy sh1t. (bolded by me)

This is like if my Ops manager said to corporate, "Sure, sales are down 40%, but nobody quit on Friday, so that's awesome"

Pawno can't be this dumb, can he? "Nobody walked out of my meeting, so I'm pretty happy about that"

followed, of course, by his almost weekly game of "how many Fire players can fit under a bus?"

jesvs wept

Joe in CO, xtomx and LIZZIE repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, he can be that dumb.

Joe in CO and lethargytartare repped this.
  3. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cross Posted for effect... emphasis mine in bolded section (not bolded quote section).

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/major-letdown-soccer-or-the-zlat-in-the-hat-came-back.2085808

"..and certainly don't take advice from the Chicago Fire on how to manage an unhappy fan base.

I understood the task Nelson Rodriguez faced with Chivas USA, which was basically to drag the Exxon Valdez back to port for repairs. Sure, their tickets sold about as well as bacon cheeseburgers at the Wailing Wall (stop me if I've told you that one), but Chivas USA never finished last after its first year. Despite budgets and leadership intelligence that could both be described as shoestring.

I have no idea what Nelson Rodriguez is playing at with the Chicago Fire.

Front office reactions tend to overshadow the fan shenanigans (or "shefanigans," if you like, which now that I see it actually printed out I'm fairly sure you won't) that brought on the responses. Usually because what the fans did is usually some feat of childishness it wouldn't be worth the trouble to type out.

Unless you set fire to the other team's stadium or something. Good job, Toronto FC Inebriatti, you've given the green light to every security crackdown in the sport for the next five years. But I digress.

Otherwise excellent recaps of the current situation from Dan Santaromita of ProSoccer and José Luis Sánchez Pando from some rag called the Chicago Tribune don't address what Sector Latino or its members did in the first place. But then…neither does Nelson.

From Santaromita's article:

“The group and its leadership to the time I’ve been here has never voluntarily submitted those who were guilty of breaking the fan code of conduct,” Rodriguez said of SL. “In one particular incident, the number of participants in the incident was large. It was more than a few people, many of whom were trying to obscure their faces, many of whom were wearing a sweatshirt identifying them as members of Sector Latino. The leadership was given every opportunity to bring forth those who violated the code of conduct. They did not. That’s what led to the final warning. That’s what led to: if you can’t control your membership, if you can’t modify your behavior, if you can’t identify those few bad apples who are ruining it for all of you, you will leave us with no choice.

“And on the very next opportunity, there’s a violation of the code of conduct, there is no submission of the guilty party and everything was clear. So we made good-faith efforts, but in the end what I’ve said and will continue to say, we cannot allow a group to hide or allow to be hidden within them, those that endanger the safety of others.

“From our perspective, we gave multiple opportunities for the leadership to step up and they didn’t. The last thing I’ll say is we have reason to believe that members of the leadership engaged in violating the fan code of conduct.”

Since it's Rodriguez himself who chose to focus on both the collective punishment and the vagueness of "code of conduct," then it would be fair to judge Rodriguez by that alone.

Not to put too fine a point on it,
    Rodriguez is being an idiot. As general manager of a private business, it's his right to be, but casting a net to include season ticket-holders who had nothing to do with the violation of the code of conduct would be poor business practices for a band of Tusken Raiders.

What Sector Latino did, as it happens, was set off a smoke bomb in the supporters section.

If Rodriguez wanted to address that, in my opinion he had plenty of room. Smoke bombs are stupid. What do you think the other team is going to do, stop playing and gawk at the smoke long enough for the Fire to score a cheap goal?

And this is the United States of America. Not because it's against things Latino, but because we are a lawsuitocracy. Here's a three-act play of every possible discussion of supporter sections setting off combustibles:

FRONT OFFICE REACHING OUT TO SUPPORTERS: We love flares and smoke bombs!

LAWYERS AND INSURANCE COMPANIES: No, you don't.

FRONT OFFICE: No, we don't!

But the entire section obviously didn't bring in and set off their own individual smoke bombs. So the collective punishment relies on the idea that the fans should have turned over the guy responsible.

Ethics of snitching aside, that's just a confession of incompetence. If you don't have a camera pointed at your most excitable fans, and if your professional security are baffled by the Moscow Rules tactic of "covering one's face," that's a problem for the general manager.
    Outsourcing fan security to fans is, if nothing else, cheap and lazy.

Those are the most obvious examples of misguided front office policies towards fans, but I'm sure there are plenty of others. In ye olden times, a lot of this was because inexperienced front offices were facing challenges no other pro sports team faced regarding fan culture. (Several universities could have given some helpful advice, looking back, but the kinship between student sections at college football games and soccer supporter sections remains unacknowledged as of this writing.)

It's not acceptable any more, however. We are not Among the Thugs here. Treat your customers like you want them to come back."

Der Stich, Joe in CO, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd worst, will be first once the NW owners of DC take over.

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xtomx and bunge repped this.
  7. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Glad Dirty Nelly got all of the fans to stop saying the Spanish goal kick word. It was pretty loud on Saturday.

loonixxx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  8. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The team is called the FIRE. How about approaching the village of Bridgeview Fire Department and ask them if they're willing to loan some off-duty firemen to the team to supervise the use of flares and smoke? Give the FD free season tickets and food with the stipulation that a couple of firemen supervise the supporter's group how to do these things safely. Conduct an outreach seminar with key, designated members of the groups on safe practices. There should be a "fan appreciation"-type game that is dedicated to all the firemen in the Chicagoland area. Display your FD badge, you get in free.

A team called the FIRE needs to embrace their heritage. I want Toyota Park to look like Ali Sami Yen in it's heyday.

[​IMG]

People with no imagination suck.

Joe in CO, HerthaBerwyn, xtomx and 8 others repped this.
  9. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Twitter tonight, a few people are noticing that the players are unfollowing them.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not suppliesed.

[​IMG]

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/players/bacary-sagna

Montreal's new singing, August 8, 2018 ten days ago.
    Is he waiting for his visa? No
    Is he shipped to Montreal's USL team? No

Look he's in Montreal's starting 11 tonight against us.
    How's that possible? I thought it takes weeks to get your visa.

loonixxx, seamuslush and willydonc repped this.
  12. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nim Shady - Freestyle
    "The Chicago Fire of Infinite Sadness"

Hi kids do you like soccer?

Want to see a bunch stuff that makes you think I'm off my rocker?

I'm Nim Shady and I'm at it again

Architect. Think Wayne Brady with a more expensive pen

And a rubber stamp, with the word "rejected"

I'm the real soccer don self appointed not elected

Process, that's the motto, don't mind the crazies

How bout a nice night out at the end get checked for rabies

All the haters officially on notice this is my show from the ceiling to the floor

********ing with me? You won't have a section no more.

Five dollar water I'd charge more if I could

Just imagine the inflation if the team would be good

Put myself in the ring of fire, I'll give the keynote

Make it special, pyro by Sector Latino

Free-No! Haha. I'll drink to that grab your cup

Raise your glasses, take a swig, pinky up.

You can wollow but it rings hollow buy your f*cking tickets and I'll tell you what to swallow

Unstoppable been that way for years

Grab your wooden spoon, bake your cake, salty tears

13. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wayne should be replaced with Mike Brady. It's been awhile since I've seen the brady bunch.

14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    That was beautiful.

Ke1n repped this.
  15. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because why not...

Nim Shady - Freestyle 3 (Special Japanese Release Only Bonus Track)

Nim Shady… survivor… still shaking up the mother ********ing soccer world, start quaking

Straight out of grad school, not out of the academy

you’ve got some learning to do, im tired of explaining, im tired of you mad at me

Insanity.

Go ahead and have your fun, show respect to the chosen one and keep it Clean like Mr.

Don’t throw that you wouldn’t want to get your wrist hurt

Or worse, up in smoke. Tarp the ashes. Nothing you can do.

Won’t see it coming, no final warning, no video review

I like Sector Latino, 500 yards away

Do you like that scent? Its protection by Monterrey

Players too, gather round open twitter

this is what you'll do so you don't have to get your lips hurt

I get a bad wrap like boogeyman, people all “how could you man?” and the others go “whats the plan?”

This genius cannot be contained by a mere mortal

meddlers go through the portal

to Tulsa, roughnecks for no checks

I only want the best, but I will take the rest, if it fits the plan, and they take the GAM

Monopoly. On top its me. I don’t write the checks cause I don’t need to flex.

Nimrod. Greatest Hunter. Biggest Wonder. Loudest Thunder.

See you on the golf course first weekend of November

I’ve got my eye on you kids; never forget, always remember.

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The 'shady' shit for brains still has a job.

17. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I for one would like to sing the praises of out intrepid leaders as we enter the Yura Movsysian era.

Id like to. But instead here is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.

[​IMG]

18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I hope that’s today’s starting lineup.

19. #2144 willydonc, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Raccoon And Chocolate Chip Pancake
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think we've identified 2 of the starting back 4 for today. Rabbit & Raccoon. Rabbit is a new signing and Raccoon the seasoned veteran of the roster.

loonixxx repped this.
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bunge, cchchaplain, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  23. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    well, with bradley coming to town, it probably wouldn't be good to compare the then and now.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...hicago-bob-bradley-reflects-fires-1998-double

loonixxx and xtomx repped this.
  24. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland