Nelson Rodriguez Career Deathwatch

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Sep 20, 2015.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly one week from now, I expect this thread to be rendered redundant.

He must go.

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have been the second the game ended, what's the point of keeping him another week. It's not like he can get anymore funny money in 7 days.

xtomx repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everytime I come into this thread I'm expecting to see that NRod has been FIRED,

Come on Joe make this happen

#NRodOut

xtomx repped this.
  4. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This will be my first post in this thread (I think?). Basically I believe NRod was brought in by MLSHQ to strong arm Hauptman after the Editorial. Once the albatross of Chivas USA was shuttered NRod came in as "the fixer" to force some big signings and find a new ownership group and try to drum up some sponsorship and interest in Chicago which was (and is) the new albatross. He has accomplished that...pissed off a good portion of the fan base in the process I would be absolutely fine if he would just take his bonus and leave now. Thanks for everything...

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Nelson said the team’s environment was a reason why the team missed the playoffs. I asked about Paunovic’s role in building that environment and now Nelson is talking about Finland and Russia. ‍♂️

— Danny Santaromita (@TheDanSanto) October 14, 2019

[​IMG]

xtomx repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocker!!!! Snakeskin oil saleman throwing Pauno under the bus. Yeah I know Pauno isn't the best coach and shouldn't be coaching us, but what an asshole.

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team had some traditions, but I don't see them. That's because Andi KILLED it.

xtomx repped this.
  9. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We're the Tradition.

And we're not going anywhere.

10. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    thing is, he's throwing himself under the bus as well.

He picked Pawno. He stuck with Pawno after building a creative attacking roster. Literally anything that is Pawno's fault is Nimrod's fault.

I hope Mansueto is paying attention.

Joe in CO and xtomx repped this.
  11. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I hope Joe has a trusted friend following along here and seeing things through the supporters' eyes.

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  12. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From what I know, he knows how the fans feel. He just wants to make sure he does things methodically. I don't get it, but he seems to have a plan and it does not involve a future with Nelson for much longer.

Sparky98 repped this.
  13. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Bad environment? In a place where the culture grows from the top down? So.....Do I need to buy that damn Cassowary back?

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was wrong. :notworthy:

15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    willydonc repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He bleeds hair gel and that is all.

willydonc repped this.
  18. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
  19. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Nelson helped broker the deal. At the very least he’ll be given cover and a professionally graceful exit as a thanks for his efforts. He should be ignored.

Martininho, xtomx, willydonc and 2 others repped this.
  21. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2524 xtomx, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    This has fallen to Page THREE on BigSoccer Chicago Fire Thread?
    No way!
    (Oh, and let us all be thankful that we do not have The Sun, as "Page Three" takes on a whole new meaning. A naked Nelson Rodriguez on Page Three is not something I need to see).

From today's Sun Times article:
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/soccer...e-nelson-rodriguez-joe-mansueto-soldier-field

They have to be cognizant of their history and how supporters view the club’s past, which Rodriguez acknowledges isn’t easy as the franchise undergoes its bulked-up transformation. Rodriguez also sounds ready for some criticism, which goes with the territory.

“There is a challenge,” Rodriguez said. “There’s a balance, because we have proud fans. The brand refresh will be a part of that. There will not be universal acceptance of anything that we do and we understand that. But trying to honor and respect the past is important.”

No, is not a "challenge." You just do it. You balance the tradition with the forward thinking action. It is one team, one tradition, one history. This is not something that most teams would find a "challenge." Hell, it is not something that most teams even have to think about, at least not teams in Chicago. The Sox, Bulls, Hawks, Bears and Cubs all manage to maintain the continuity through changes in ownership, management, focus, uniform/"brand" updates, etc.

Hell, the biggest break with the past for any of the teams in recent years is that Cubs deciding to end their 100+ years of failure and ineptitude.

Also, Nelson, you incorporate the past, present and future together into a single cohesive entity (which is already should be), while not also being a condescending asshat about it.

To help do that, the Fire have created an alumni network and are looking to hire somebody full-time to manage that group. Rodriguez said he wants the club’s past to have a role in the future, and former players liked and recognized by the fans are a key part of that effort.

“We’re trying to reach back and say ‘you are part of the club. You are the club. Please join us in celebration every time we come to Soldier Field,’” Rodriguez said.

To say that Rodriguez "wants" the club's past to have a role in the future is both disingenuous and idiotic.

It is disingenuous as Rodriguez has been actively hostile to the club's "past" (particularly the supporters' groups) and hostile to the present (the treatment of season ticket holders in recent years has been pretty dire).

It is idiotic considering that, under his leadership, the Fire have largely abandoned the Ring of Fire, have undermined most links with the first 10 years of Fire success and have treated long term fans with derision. Yes, much of this preceded his tenure (the "Editorial" for example), but it was not abated and, in fact, accelerated under his watch.

I hope this is changing. Having an Alumni Network makes sense and is a good start.

They should hire Logan Pause to run it.

As you ALL know, I have been pretty rough on "Chicago Fire Legend" Logan Pause, so you might think this choice is a bit odd for me.

I was only hard on him for his play on the field and certainly not as a person.

He is a very bright, capable, well educated and well connected person. He has links to the past and the present, having played with the Fire from 2003 (playing with Razov, Thornton, Marsch, Armas, Beasley, Bocanegra, etc.) through the next few years (playing with McBride, Blanco, etc.), and up through 2014 (playing with Rolfe, Accam, Nyarko, etc.) and serving as VP through the end of 2017 (having a connection with Schweinsteiger, Nikolic, etc.).

If there is anyone who would excel in that role and have the experience and recognition to be that individual, it would be Logan........Pause. The other, of course, would be Klopas, but he only played with the Fire for two season.

Old Man!, GHjelm, bunge and 2 others repped this.
  23. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IM000572.jpg