Alert: Need some help covering the 2012 US Open Cup and more at TheCup.us

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by olujosh, Nov 10, 2011.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're reading this, you're likely a big fan of the US Open Cup, and if you are and have some writing, sales or website skills, I'm looking for some help with TheCup.us

As many of you know, TheCup.us (and USOpenCup.com before it) is basically run by myself and a couple of people who do this in our spare time. We're journalists who have day jobs (or night jobs, in some cases) and it's always a challenge to cover the tournament every year, in addition to doing some much-needed historical research, but we do what we can.

My wife and I just added a pair of twin girls to our family, bringing our (final) total to 3 kids, and slashing my free time (any of you with kids, can relate).

I just don't have the time to do as much as I would like to do, and I could use some help, especially with Open Cup qualifying in the USASA. Some states have qualifying (Illinois, Wisconsin is already complete), and I need some help in covering that. More often than not, the teams involved (and the people who run these tournaments) aren't that helpful, so you have to do a lot of the legwork yourself. Contacting the teams to find out what happened etc. There aren't that many tournaments, and the tournaments aren't that big, so if I can get a couple of people to help with that, it would be tremendous. Or even if you're not a writer, just gathering the information would be a lot of help.

And finally, since I'm a journalist/broadcaster/website manager and not a salesman, one of the biggest things I need help with is selling ads for the site. If I can find someone who can do that, I can then pay the people who write for me and after that, somewhere down the road, I might get paid to do this myself. (Crazy talk, I know)

My ultimate goal is to find enough people to cover the tournament itself, so I can focus on managing the website, working on historical research and promoting the site (maybe get my radio show back on the air?)

We're also working on a massive website redesign, but I think we probably have enough cooks in the kitchen to handle that, but I'd certainly be open to anyone who would like to help with graphics, Wordpress, design ideas etc.

If digging in old newspaper archives and tracking down old info is more your thing ... we could always use help with historical research too.

If you can help out in any way, or know someone who can, drop me an email here: http://thecup.us/contact-us/

Thanks in advance for your help.