Need Help with a Lot of uLittles

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Val1, May 6, 2019.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I'm taking over this spring/summer skills and drills program for a local Y. We meet once a week for 50 minutes for each age group. I've got 6 u10s, 12 or 14 u8s and 35 (!) u6s. My first year coaching 35 years ago was u6s and I haven't had them that young since.

I have no idea what to do with 35 kids this young. There are a lot of parent volunteers so I can break the kids down in smaller groups, and one or two of those parents might have even played soccer.

I will have all the space I need and I may even have four goals. One limiting factor is balls: I may only have one ball for every two players.

I've got six sessions. What would you recommend?

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the u6 just create a list of fun games. It’ll get them lots of touches in a fun environment. End with 1v1 or 2v2.

U8 can be more soccer like activities like 1v1, relays, and competitions

U10 trend toward more soccer activities.

Massachusetts youth soccer has a whole set of session plans by age.

Maybe don’t sort by age. Call them Anteaters, Birds, and Cheetahs- not age related sorting because there may be 7YOs that respond better to playing the kiddie games

rca2 repped this.
  3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks El....

The kids will already be sorted and I've got stuff to do with the order kids.

I just don't know games to play with u6.

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I have 5 training plans for each age group posted on our club's website: https://logansoccer.com/resources.

I would break your 6Us into four groups and rotate them through stations with each station being a different activity from one of the training plans. Have one parent stay with each group as they rotate and one parent stay at each station. That way there's always someone herding each group of kids, and there's always someone at each station who knows the game.

Val1 repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like that idea. I don't know if I have 8 parents, but I was told I had a "lot" of adult help. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Red light green light
    Freeze tag
    Fox tails
    Crocodiles- coach in middle zone and they try to get past you
    Kick the coach-hit the coaches with balls
    1v1/2v2

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks. I will use a couple of games you provided, esp the Wreck-it Ralph game. I can see several variations on that game that I can build on throughout the course. Very nice, @stphnsn :thumbsup: