[NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston article

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by El Naranja, Jun 22, 2008.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Fan Clubs of Houston

Dynamo ain't exactly a common name in World Soccer, compared to say, FC or United, for example. Even so, who cares if we "copied" someone else's name? Plenty of great clubs have "copied" others names. It's no big deal.

2. BerlinTexas

BerlinTexas Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: [NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston

I was wondering what they called themselves. More power to all our supporters groups. They make the game what it is and give it energy that the other sports wish they had. Forever Orange!

3. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

sori wit mei speling, propabli gifes yu al te teime ah hartache!!:D

4. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    say what you will , but it's good to see some passion out of Houston Sport fans.
    From no tailgating at Oiler games to old folks gripping about my foul language at Astro games, this town used to be like stale bread.

That was until the Rockets/Dynamo won back to back rings.:D

VIva La Zona Norte!:D

5. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since you are talking about it, why did the groups decided to separate?, I liked the way you looked together, like a huge supporters group, but now I don´t see the same punch, separated you look like 2 medium groups, visually you looked very impressive, that and the fact I loved to see the 2 groups showing that different groups in Houston can be united by the same game.

6. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are right. tt is no big deal, and as I said earlier, I have no trouble with the name, it works, everything seemed to come together to create a real and personal identity, I can´t imagine our team with a different team and/or different colors.

My problem is with the Front Office and how at the beginning they wanted to copy evertything from other teams, like the name of the supporters group, my problem is that after the 1836 incident, apparently they just decided to say "the heck with everything, lets just copy everything", my problem is that they apparently didn´t care about creating our own identity.

In the end it worked out, we have a very distinctive personality and identity, but not because of the FO, despite of the FO if you ask me, thanks to the players, the fans, the supporters group, but despite the FO

7. Re: [NDR] The Fan Clubs of Houston

ask the army... we didn't move. We are still in the north end. I think they moved because they want to start their own thing and grow with their own chants, but like i've said.... the funny part is that they keep singing our songs and just added 2 of their songs. we will keep growing don't worry about that... the north end will look even more impressive, just give us a few more games.... we are working in some new stuff.

8. SARay

SARay New Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio,Tx

That just it. 2 groups cannot coexist, or at least not in this town. Actually there are 4 groups that are trying to grow. The ironic thing about EB/TA is the large number of people that still support both groups. So it technically isn't a split. Maybe another championship will just make everyone play along together, and then we can fight SG's from other teams like it should be.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After reading this post you obviously have no clue as to what happened.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    jezzy crissy who cares!

El Batallon, Texian Army, Houston Pulse & Texian Army Ultras will have to 2 very important things in common on Thursday:

#1 be there for the orange.
    #2 piss on the inferno.

everything else is gravy. end of story, have a nice day. :)

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    *edit*

what upsets me the most is that i used the Lord's name in vain. i apologize and hence the edit.

ps - go to mass/church/temple once in a while it centers you.

12. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you added the VA Cemetary I would say that I've been to all those places today. Buried a good son/husband/father and Career Navy Man today.

Makes all the adolescent angst over whose SG does/does not/do/did/will do/won't/can't or any of this sophomoric name calling by someone who has been on these boards for all of a two months seem rather trivial.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, the FO got off to a rough start, but they didn't exactly have a heck of a lot of time to get situated and it took until 07 to see a real professional FO working smoothly with just the usual kinks. I suspect that a lot of the "ideas" from the FO were AEG's ideas, not OL & Co's idea.

14. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be honest, it shouldn't have taken "after the 1836 incident" to figure out that not only the FO, but that the league were steering away from originality. I mean, they had already announced that the league wanted to go for a more traditional approach...and adding a founding year to a team isn't exactly original.

15. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, not very original, but in my opinion a little bit more original than using Dynamo when almost 30 teams (a couple of them famous among soccer fans) are using the name, let me try to explain my point, even tough the concept of using the founding year is not original, 1836 would have been original in the sense that cities tend to have different founding years, obviously some cities share the same year, but I don´t remember right now any teams with the year 1836 (which doesn´t mean there aren´t any).

As I said, not very original in concept, but at least you could tell the FO was trying, trying to be somewhat original and trying to get the fans involve with the online survey, and at least a lot more original than using "Real" when we don´t even have a monarchy in this country or the fact that you have to be granted a royal patronage or simply copying the name of a famous soccer team, like the Mexican team that decided to use Santos, even tough the original team is called that way because they where born in the municipality of Santos in Sao Paulo (Torreon is not alone 3 or 4 more teams use the name Santos, not Santos in their language but in Portuguese).

There are still original names out there, I hate LA, but at least no other soccer team is called Galaxy, yes there was the Frankfurt Galaxy from NFL Europe, but that is another kind of football, you have Columbus Crew, don´t know if Crew is a great name or not, but it is original, Fusion was also an original name, Earthquakes is also an original name, Houston 1836 wasn´t as original as those names, but it was more original than adding "United" or adding FC or using "Real" or using the name and uniform of a Mexican team because you are supposedly the US version of them, it was sort of in the middle of the originality spectrum.

As I said, we got lucky, we have a distinctive identity and personality despite of.

16. El Cheesehead

El Cheesehead New Member

May 21, 2008
    Aka por la pulga
    I wanted them to be called the Houston Chuntaros or Cara de Simios :(

17. SARay

SARay New Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio,Tx
    Ouch... :( I'll just go back and hide in my corner....

18. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray, that was not meant for you even though you have not been on these boards for very long either. ;)