[NDR] Other MLS Clubs 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 7, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Who's going to watch the games?

2. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you will look at these reports closely, and know that location, and read Precourt's statement, you will see:
    1. The city is indicating that they will do little if anything to help Precourt;
    2. The site is a large parcel in a hot area yet the city has not been able to dispose (sell to anyone) the property to anyone during an economic boon where land is in short supply and all projects here get funded and approved; (What does that suggest about the property?)
    3. The location is light industrial and there are significant expenses/obstacles to getting it fit for a stadium, and some city voices are demanding that Precourt pay for all of it;
    4. Precourt has agreed to focus on it because he has no other option left here in Austin.

So, I said there was no Austin option. Precourt has found out that I am right and is keeping Austin open by agreeing to vet a very problematic site that no private developer in town has been willing to touch. Doesn't quite sound like much of an option to me ... yet.

I don't want Precourt in Austin, but a soccer stadium at McKalla would be cool. I would love it. But I'm not holding my breath. It may work out -- but I doubt it.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Zlatan welcomes L.A.

6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Too bad we didn’t get Vela

*rey* repped this.
  7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    It’s a shame Vela left Europe. I saw him at the San Antonio friendly in January and he still looked like a La Liga starter.

Heft repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a shame the Dynamo are highly unlikely to ever be in a game like the LA derby that just ended because our ownership will never invest money in class players like that. Caught the last 30 minutes of it, good stuff

*rey* repped this.
  9. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Damn I wish maybe a 2nd Houston club with a better F.O. signing real stars from Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and Mexico and potentially create a H-Town clasico. That will be a wakeup call to the Dynamo.

I mean look at the Red Bulls and the Galaxy, they stepped it up when NYC and LAFC arrived. I won't be suprised if Chicago gets a 2nd club in the Northside because the Fire are playing in the Southside.

*rey* repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo_Forever, El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo will have a special guest handle the first kick vs. NYCFC - the actor who played Principal Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It looks like Cincinnati is officially joining MLS for the 2019 season. The announcement is expected next Tuesday.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/24/fc-cincinnati-mls-expansion-berth-announcement-2019-start

That would mean 24 teams in the league for 2019. Nashville and Miami (if they actually figure it out) are expected to join in 2020. Depending on what happens with Columbus that might mean a bit of realignment then.

If Columbus stays put then Chicago might get moved to the West or the league might go with 14 East and 12 West until they get to 28. We shall see.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not be surprised if a long-time prominent owner sells out of MLS in 1 or 2 years when they see the expansion gravy train stopping. It’s almost as if annual expansion decisions are driven by next year’s cash flow forecasts

*rey* repped this.
  15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just heard that Jason Kreis got fired.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Armas Named Head Coach As Jesse Marsch Departs RBNY
    7/6/2018
    10:28 AM

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the five years that David Beckham has spent trying to build a stadium for Miami’s future Major League Soccer team, what’s another week?

Following Thursday’s marathon Miami City Commission meeting, which was stretched out with hours of public testimony and debate, the commissioners deferred a decision to put a large-scale redevelopment at Melreese Country Club on the November ballot for six more days.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article214690475.html#storylink=cpy

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If Miami ever gets a team all 9,000 of its fans will show up at the stadium to celebrate.

El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like having an underresourced and plucky squad, who needs the Rooney’s and Zlatans of soccer?!

20. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Rooney is over the hill and doesn't have anything to offer.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad we have this great team in Houston that has a great point per salary spending ratio. We don’t need any younger talents on high transfer fees like Josef Martinez - who needs that guy???

Heft and *rey* repped this.
  23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Atlanta ever won? Come back and talk to me when they have.

(See you in a couple months)

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Orange Kool-Aid addicts come back to this all the time about "what has NYCFC won" and "who made the West finals last year on a small payroll?" but every year that claim gets invalidated.

Look at the last several years of winners back to 2011- Toronto, Seattle, Portland, LA Galaxy. SKC winning in 2013 vs. RSL is the exception in terms of small market/smaller payroll teams matching up in finals.