[NDR] Other MLS Clubs 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 7, 2016.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure you were talking about Dallas not your own stadium and fans.

Here is the final data on home attendance around MLS:
    Good to know that our numbers are solid. Which is what we all know our FO banks on going on to year 4 of such a crap product on the field. our Dynamo Girls getting axed and no more end of the year parties or the like for all of us.
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...rd-in-2016-as-seattle-sounders-lead-all-clubs

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* repped this.
  3. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Not sure if this is right place to post this. Wanted to ask about Will Bruin's contract situation as rumor mill has FC Cincinnati (my club) interested in his services and would be a huge signing for us. Not sure we can afford him or if Houston would let him go. Thank you for any information.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I doubt he'd be interested, drop down in league and probably pay. He makes $312k/year which would be a ton for a USL side. He's 27, has some recent productive years, and, no offense, some players would retire before they'd drop down to minors. You're more likely to get an older international player who'd just like to play in America a year or two, or rank and file lunchpail domestic players who just want to play pro a few more years. Bruin probably still has club and country aspirations despite this season.

More likely we trade him within MLS.

5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston would probably let him go to clear cap space.

I think he would tear it up in that division.

Traumer and *rey* repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm sure we'd be happy to cashier Bruin any way we could. However, unless he's actively seeking this transfer, he has a decently lucrative MLS deal, and perhaps still delusions of future MLS and USA success, why on earth would he drop down to USL, lower level of play, lower pay rate. End of NT interest, potentially doomed there for eternity like Adu. He's 27 and I can't believe he'd "give up." No offense to the minor league fan but a lot of the more successful MLS players would retire with MLS rep intact before they'd keep playing down a level. Davis notably went to KC and retired, as opposed to back to StL but in the minors, even though that put him opposite side of the state from his hometown.

I am sure we're shopping him but the more likely destination would be lateral within MLS. Keeps his pay rate, retains MLS reputation and competition level. I could see him being dangled in the expansion drafts and offered in trade after that process is complete.

Those are the obvious scenarios. Another less obvious "out" is he goes and plays in Mexico or Scandinavia, we mutually tear up our deal or agree a fee. I think he's the same age Cameron was when he left, this would actually be the prime time to try it.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A highly paid MLS player on a guaranteed contract dropping down to USL isn't one I've heard of before

8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    His question was "if Houston would let him go", and given the chance I'd say most likely.

The odds that he takes a pay cut are slim, so it would have to be lucrative of course.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The real question is not whether Houston would be willing to end the relationship in one way or another, it's what would Bruin accept. That was arguably part of "Not sure we can afford him" voiced by the poster (although you could quibble that might cover both salary and the transfer fee we would probably demand for a domestic move). Even if it wasn't part of his post, are we going to pretend the biggest barrier doesn't exist? The existence of a lucrative contract, probably containing guarantees, would give Bruin a say. Bruin only doesn't have a say if it's a MLS trade and he lacks a no trade clause.

Put yourself in Bruin's shoes. You have a contract you can hold us to. You are making $312k, in MLS, probably think you could produce someplace else again at this level, have been called into US camps, may still think that's a possibility. I think with how this is evolving, he'd be open to leaving. But he is not going to go play in USL for a paycut on purpose. That's a risk that he could get back to MLS again, likely end of NT aspirations, less money. You really think someone who produced 10+ goals within a few years ago gives up at 27? The poster may have framed it up as "would we let him go," but there's little chance this is an acceptable scenario to Bruin, a necessary willing passenger to the idea.

The acceptable scenarios, more likely, are he allows us to dangle or trade him, because he wants to play and thinks he's not done even if he's usurped here (think Romo), since his MLS deal is binding on whomever takes him. He keeps his money and at least in his mind gets out of town and in a fresh start. Club and country aspirations remain viable.

Only scenario I can see a mutual tear-up of his deal is he free transfers out of the country.

If he wanted USL or NASL -- I don't buy it but let's suppose -- we and perhaps even he would be naïve to not demand a transfer fee. So it's not just $300k salary demand, it's another six figures' transfer fee on top.

Only way he is leaving for free is out of the country, or in the expansion draft.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  12. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it wrong that all the talk of getting rid of Stumbledore gave me a chubbie?

what's that?.......T.M.I.??

my bad

PS

hey Cinci, give us a plate of Skyline chili, signed pic of Sam Wyche and the box set to WKRP and we have a deal!!

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    This league will struggle until they tighten up on ownerships and how they manage the franchises.

If there are limitation of maximum spending on players then they need to set minimums because obviously it has become somewhat of an arms race to entertainment / competitiveness and some ar enot playing along. Either that or they reign in these cities trying to be 'super clubs'.

MLSsoccer.com has links to the highlights of all the MLS cups in it's history. Do yourself a favor and watch how the nature of the teams have changed over time. One key is having several of the special players with a strong supporting cast.
    2006 / 2007 NE was slightly better than us but we had key plays made by special players Ostadt, DeRo, Brad Davis, Ching, Mullan.
    2011/1012 LA was clearly our Daddy - Boswell versus Omar G., Old Ching / Bruin versus Keane / Donovan

It's now costing more and more to get those special players that make the key plays you need to win games that matter. We haven't had that since we wouldn't pay DeRo what the league was growing into compensation wise.

FCD may have lost their chance at the MLS cup this year when they decided that they wouldn't pay their special player in Castillo.

Maybe it's time for MLS to absorb USL and introduce relegation and promotion because that is the only way to get some owners to have accountability to the fans by punishing them in the pocket book.

OK daily rant over.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbf to Dallas, not paying Fabian wasnt the only issue. That kid was leaving come hell or high water. After the mess of his exit, i wouldnt blame them for not wanting to spend anything on him.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't foresee pro rel relative near term to protect owner expectations. "I bought a first division team not a demoted one." Which is somewhat circular logically but can be justified by the investment everyone makes in not just teams but stadia. Long term we need stable and growing fanbases and investment in infrastructure more than we need to obsessively copy Europe. Many European big clubs deliver a good product but the leagues are not truly open competitions and give or take the odd Leicester the title is decided among 3-5 teams per league.

Longer term, if MLS ever reaches USL numbers, I could possibly see MLS 1 and 2 and USL 1 and 2. That would deal with the expectations issue and the glass ceiling between MLS and USL can be justified in many instances by the notion that II teams in Germany can't get promoted past a point.

Personally I don't think it's in US pro soccer's best interest to encourage too much risk taking or punish big league fan bases for ownership foibles. You demote the two worst teams right now and that's two big TV markets and two big league stadium bills and in our case a fairly loyal fan base in spite of what we're handed lately. What is the idea, replace them with NY2 and KC2? Who's gonna watch them? With all the II teams, many of whom are the better USL teams, the league is now a mix of well attended and relatively self sufficient independents, and II clubs that are loss leaders for the primary outfit, and pull maybe a 1000 people for a game.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo look like they have a real shot at winning USL this year if they dropped down with the current roster

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team has nothing compared to the AAA glory that was the Astros a few years ago.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    At least that is a good way to rebuild in MLB and provides hope for the future..... with the Dynamo it's just a disaster with no hope at all from what I can tell.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, an Astros-style tank job and rebuild isn't feasible in MLS the way it is structured. Could do a mini version but not as dramatic.

Dynamo doing a good job of executing the mini-tank job right now

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    MLS draft picks are pretty much worthless... successful teams in recent years have done it through free agency.... the problem is we are cheap and won't spend the required money.

CeltTexan repped this.
  21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not worthless. You just need a top 5 pick to be almost guaranteed a solid player. We have one so there is hope.

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Even among top 5 picks it's very hit or miss.... looking at the teams that were in it at the very end.... Seattle, Colorado, TFC and Montreal.... they've done it almost entirely off the back of signing big money and big time free agents.... nobody builds much through the draft.

You can turn it around in one season... look at TFC.... Bradley, Altidore, Giovinco..... in one season.

Unfortunately.... I know our crappy franchise won't be doing anything like that.

It's amazing to watch how aggressive some teams are and ours just flat out sucks and we have nothing to look forward to.

We scrap the bottom of the barrel while other clubs are killing it in the market.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Wenger and Bruin, both relatively high picks (Wenger was 1st overall in 2012). In 2011, Omar Salgado really turned out to be a superstar, eh? Solid player, yeah probably. But we need impact players not solid players and even if you draft top 5 for 3 years you may only get 1 solid player.

CeltTexan repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that article:
    "Lanus midfielder Miguel Almiron on Monday.
    The MLS expansion club will pay a transfer fee of around $8 million to the Argentina club, according to multiple league sources, after initial reports had pegged Almiron's fee as high as $13 million.
    Almiron signed a Young Designated Player contract after acquiring the right of first refusal from the Seattle Sounders in exchange for general allocation money.
    The 22-year-old plays as an attacking or left-sided midfielder. He excelled for Paraguayan club Cerro Porteno before moving to Lanus in August of 2015, where he has made 34 appearances, scoring three goals."

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you Ace. There can and should be some way to get the owners in MLS to have some way of witnessing with ease if their FO, coach and players are held accountable.
    The owners will never vote that in and Garber could never convince them to rethink it all.
    However, there is the concept of self imposed promotion and relegation between the USL and MLS that could work.

Basically in year one of implementing promotion, promote to MLS the USL champions and make sure MLS is at an odd number of teams thus giving the league an even number of opponents to play against. Then have the USL Champion compete in MLS. IF, at the end of the season said promoted USL side finishes dead last in the MLS table then they are relegated back to the USL. The next USL Champions thus take their place.
    IF, however, the USL promoted side finished in the MLS league table anywhere but last then they secure their spot for next year in MLS and no relegation or promotion occurs that season.
    MLS teams do not suffer the drop in my line of thinking. I would think that if my MLS club finished below a promoted USL side, that would be embarrassment enough. The embarrassment of being relegated. Specifically on our players and our FO. Thus the owner does not lose out financially, which I think we all know is their concern, but the owner does take finishing below a USL side as a big sign that changes in management, coaches and or players is clearly needed.
    As it stands now, with no type of punishment for finishing last of our Conference and second over all last in the league table, and yet strong attendance and a robust home atmosphere, there is little that the owner can easily look at as a clear barometer that change is needed at the top.