(NCR) Coaching Youth Soccer

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve not used it but my brother used beastmodesoccer.com with his daughter.

I think this was a program which was all about # of touches on the ball and trying to get a bunch through several basic moves.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will look at both suggestions.

Thank you.

Last night Markus slept hugging a soccer ball. I took a picture for photographic evidence later in his life. Maybe for those senior year collages.

3. DOGSO

DOGSO Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 24, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    https://www.technefutbol.com

Cost involved and I believe requires a mobile device (which is why it might be popular) but seems to be gaining some steam. Started by Yael Averbuch

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about Beastmode. My daughter was a voracious consumer of online training videos.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always going to be somebody better. That's life. But it is a good spur to improve and put the time in. As the coach in Chariots of Fire noted "you can't put in what God left out". But you can be the best you can be with hard work and practice--and remembering that it's supposed to be fun too, especially at that age.

And once it a while, you get a great moment, even against the best. I recall when I was just learning the game properly, as a college sophomore, we had a local NASL player hang around our club practices to keep in shape. One evening, I stole the ball from him clean. I still remember that, though it was over 40 years ago.

I was never the most talented player on the field--and usually not even in the top half on any given day. I got started too late. But I'll always remember how much fun it was, most of the time, and how the time I spent working on the small skills I did have paid off later in games.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I used it as a teaching lesson.

7. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our club has a membership so all players can access it on demand.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Markus' last indoor practice was yesterday. A few months reprieve until spring rec. I need it. A few weekends without major commitments. Before the onslaught of spring, summer, and fall.

One main thing I noticed yesterday about my son is how he hustles. All the time. They scrimmaged the entire time yesterday. He goes to the ball. No fear. I have been working with him to move even when he does not have the ball. We will sit and watch for short bursts a part of a game or some highlights. We watch the passing between players. How players move on a reset - free kick, throw in, corner kick. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the game.

I can see he loves the game, as well. He is the kid giving others high fives when they do well. He is the kid who does a "cool" celebration after he scored a goal (which Timo later asked, "were your coaches okay with that?"). He had a smile on his face the entire time.

As we left Hall of Fame the last time for the season, Markus started a Crew chant. So we walked, hand in hand, chanting the chant he wanted to chant.

zman31, hardhead and chr1st repped this.
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    And he's a Meram fan?

jairadballerina repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Love ... bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is already changing as a fan. I can see it. Becoming more managerial and practical than whimsical and magical.

I need to try harder to have him keep the whimsy.

12. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son has been doing this in the basement 3 or 4 times a week (or more) all winter, it's made quite a difference in his ability with the ball.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy's channel is great here are 2 that have some nice basic skill moves that can be easily learned and practice but more importantly can show up in a game.

Stepovers:

Body feints:

He has a ton of training and skill videos to explore.

14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok. Not coaching, but my little girl finally expressed an interest in playing! Anyone have any advice to finding the right team (or whom/what to avoid) east side of Columbus, particularly in the Gahanna/Blacklick area near her school, etc? Or in general what to look for, and what warning signs to run from? Some of the horror stories you've all told over the years has me cautious.

TIA

15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, the problem is everyone says the right things. My daughters coaches last year said it was all about fun*, they said they didn't want to play kick ball, they said their first priority was player development and not winning (except tournaments). Their actions were often anything but.

If you have the chance, I'd ask the other parents. Not "do they like it" etc., but ask parents what position their girls play. Ask if they play other positions as well (to gain experience). Ask what formation they play (my daughters last team played a 1-1-3-1... which was good for winning games, but not good for development for the girl stuck back at sweeper). Ask what kind of playing time the girls get. Ask if the coach looks like s/he has fun out there*., etc.

*my daughters coach for last year send out an email early spring at the end talking about how #1 priority was to have fun. But I had just prior to that made the observation that I never once saw him kick a ball for fun. Another parent commented to me that they never saw the coaches having fun with the kids. So far, it wasn't detrimental to most of the girls on the team, but I do think it made taking getting into the team a lot harder for my daughter (and a few others)

16. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs have mostly had their tryouts for the 2019/2020 season. That could make finding a club difficult. A rec league/parent coach might be the best place to start. A practice or 2 a week with a weekend game and very low stakes can make things fun and that fun can grow in to a desire to have fun while competing and getting better. That's how it worked for my son. He played a few different sports enjoyed soccer in a rec league as part of that. He wanted to step up so finding a club started for us when he played u11 ball in 18/19. He had to work hard as he was behind a lot of the other players who had been playing club ball for 2 or 3 years.

If you could sign up to coach a rec league team, that might be the best. Make it fun, learn a bit, see if soccer is a worthy pursuit for your daughter and then go from there.

If you've decided on going the club route, as suggested above, talk to existing player parents. Observe a practice if you can. It could be very hard now as the season and tryouts are over. You could certainly ask about a supplemental tryout.

chr1st repped this.
  17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the transition to club? Eight/Nine?

18. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club we are part of now, Ohio Premier, has U8-U10 "academy" teams. I think that is the norm. My son played rec ball until u11. I go back and forth on if I made the correct decision in waiting. He was one of the last capable players in rec ball. He certainly would be more advanced now if he had gotten involved in club earlier, but the cost and commitment was maybe not right for us at the time.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it's different for every kid. But odds are high that you made a good decision. We went club in U8, but only on accident - I went just to help out with try outs for the club I was semi-involved in, and other girls she went to school with and played with on my indoor team tried out too, so a small group of them decided to play club so they could play together, even though the majority of them had planned to do another year of rec.

zman31 repped this.
  20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a "Columbus Soccer Moms and Dads" Facebook group that has a lot about teams still looking to fill out players. Though I do know our new club is going to be ordering jerseys in a weeks time, so time may definitely be running out. Certainly can do rec for a year, not knowing what age you're talking about though. A lot of rec programs seems to cap out at U10 or so as clubs have moved into the rec and "academy" world, seemingly crowding out a lot of more traditional rec programs.

zman31 repped this.
  21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #221 Draghignazzo, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Thanks for the responses. She's 9, and previously had showed no interest in sport. She'd fail a tryout, I'd expect. I'm just expecting the normal learn to be in a team, gain some more coordination (Kung-Fu has gone a long way to give her a sense of balance, coordination and confidence in movement, she will be continuing there for sure). I'm not so concerned about her development as a player (yet) as she's already way behind.

So the gist I'm getting is that rec is where we'll be, and honestly probably the right place right now. Anything to know about rec teams? How to find them, etc.? I don't have a Facebook account, but I can probably have her mom handle any FB research/connecting.

Appreciate all the info.

22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recommendation from me for that age to get better FAST if she's interested and motivated. Do the rec thing, have fun doing it. Add some home work on foot skills. Just 15 or 20 minutes a couple times a week. Do it with her, make it fun too. Lots of basic solo foot skill videos on youtube. It will make a world of difference in a short amount of time.

tick tocks, sole rolls, v cuts, push pull, inside outside. In fifteen minutes she can get 500 touches on the ball which is likely 3 times as much as she would get in a hour team practice session.

shoplifter and Draghignazzo repped this.
  23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually had a couple girls on my daughters U9 team last year (2010 birth year) that had never played soccer before. Granted, it was the B team. One of the players ended up being one of the best players on the team (mostly just because she was aggressive and fearless, still has a long way to go skill/touch wise).

But at this age, a year in rec won't hurt her. At least some rec programs will also have a skills session for rec players, that will essentially get them the 2 practices a week they would otherwise have playing club.

Unfortunately I don't know your area very much to help out either way.

24. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been away from the Columbus area for far too long -- but one program I can vouch for (in general) b/c it's a national thing is the Upward sports program. (They do basketball & flag football as well as soccer -- though basketball programs are far more common.) Each of my kids has played in their soccer program & 2 of them have played in their basketball program.

I thought of Upward because it sounds like this is going to be a first time team experience for your daughter. They really do focus on taking each kid where they are at, helping them develop their skills, having fun, and playing them (and allowing them to play a variety of positions), period. (The rules / games have set rotation times w/ the understanding that each game / over the season each kid is going to get equal playing time; coaches are encouraged to find a way to make sure each of their players score at least one goal during the season; etc.) The leagues in my area all pretty much go up to age 10 (at least), w/ some going on for upper Elementary and even Junior High age kids.

Disclaimer: it's a Christian organization, and each "league" is sponsored by a church (or several churches together). So if that's a turn off, it may not be for you / your family. But it's pretty low key. They do have little mini "character" type chats during the break at practice or games, but it's generally stuff most people would be happy with their kids learning (be respectful of others, encourage your teammates, tell the truth, etc) & not heavy on the religious tone (IMO).

A quick search on their website shows that there are soccer leagues in Etna/Reynoldsburg & Pataskala (https://www.upward.org/find-a-place-to-play#search/43230/Soccer/All/rec). Most leagues are pretty flexible on kids joining after the "official" sign up period, as well.

Hope your daughter has a great experience & can learn the joy of playing soccer, wherever she ends up!

25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew