NCAA Tournament - Selection Show (2017)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WWC_Movement, Nov 5, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Predicting the seeded teams:

#1 seeds:
    Stanford, North Carolina, Duke, UCLA
    #2 seeds: South Carolina, USC Trojans, Texas A&M, Penn State
    #3 seeds: West Virginia, Ohio State, UCF, Virginia
    #4 seeds: Florida, Georgetown, Pepperdine, Texas/Oklahoma State

South Carolina lost in the SEC Quarterfinal in a bad loss.
    UCLA snatches the final #1 seed from them.
    West Virginia did not win the Big 12 league or tournament title.
    The Big 12 is inferior to most Power 5 conferences.

Texas A&M is on fire, and just won the SEC tournament.
    Penn State is on a hot streak, and just won the Big Ten tournament title.
    They just had 3 really good wins over Rutgers, Ohio State, and Northwestern, to propel them to a #2 seed.

Oklahoma State just got crushed 3-0 by Baylor in the Big 12 tournament.
    A closer loss would have gotten them a #4 seed potentially.
    They may still get it over Texas, due to beating them head-to-head.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The NCAA women's soccer selection show is on tomorrow.
    4:30 (ET), 1:30 (PT).

Nacional Tijuana and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking for bracketology predictions, yet every time I look at the blogs, I just find a list of teams in no particular orders. Can anyone advise of the definitely in teams, followed by the bubble teams in aRPI order (with last four in and first for out)?

4. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree with your placements, however I am unwilling to ever define losing to a 50 RPI in the postseason as a "bad" loss, 1-0. I really am skeptical that Georgetown would get a seed either. It really ought to be Princeton, instead if you ask me.

5. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MY prediction:

1_Stanford ___________ 2_UCLA _______ 3_Ohio St _____ 4_Rutgers
    1_North Carolina _____ 2_Penn St ______ 3_WVa ______ 4_Florida St
    1_Duke ______________ 2_UCF _________ 3_USF ________ 4_Notre Dame
    1_South Carolina _____ 2_TAMU _______ 3_Texas ______ 4_Florida

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out post #46 here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/20...urnament-bracket.2066628/page-2#post-36029311

Also, see this link: http://rpiford1wsoccer.blogspot.com/2017/10/2017-ncaa-tournament-bracket-simulation_30.html?m=1

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I don't think Georgetown deserves a #4 seed. I am only predicting it, as I think the committee has Last year College Cup bias syndrome in them at times. I've seen it before in how they've seeded teams in the past. And with all of the remaining 2016 College Cup teams seeded here in 2017 (USC, West Virginia, North Carolina), then I could see Georgetown getting a seed as well, based on previous committee behavior.

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Good stuff, but Notre Dame does not deserve to be seeded.
    They have won less than half of their 19 games, at 9-6-4.
    That sort of record does not deserve a seed.

9. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Santa Clara not in Stanford's quadrant this year. Wonder if this was done in memory of last year...

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gtown doesn't even get a home game after all. People spending countless hours drawing up brackets but missing the most critical factor and that is the bidding of host sites. IMO, the AD's and presidents who don't make efforts to close those loops and jump thru hoops are shooting themselves in the foot and handcuffing their programs. We know how important home field advantage is, so why doesn't Gtown administration?

12. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Are we sure it's a not bidding issue?

I was shocked we weren't given a home game. I'll be pissed if it was because we didn't put in a bid.

I assumed the committee just screwed us and had Wake ahead of us for no reason.

EDIT:
    Just talked to a friend in the athletic department. And he believes Georgetown did bid. So that wasn't the issue. Seems like we just got screwed.

13. pridefan

pridefan Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Hofstra has won 12 straight games and is undefeated in their last 14. Better RPI than Auburn, still sent to Auburn even though HU should get a home game. And of course should they win that, they get to play the #1 overall seed. I figured being 22nd in the RPI would’ve had some perks, but I guess not.

hykos1045 repped this.
  14. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll never know and can only speculate. I was scratching my head at the Hofstra pick, it reeks of conference bias. I thought Hofstra could have hosted for sure and was even starting to look at travel arrangements because I thought my favorite team would wind up there.

15. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Money, Money, Money! Women soccer bracket is set up to make it easier for the NCAA, travel to host sights and cost for fans to travel to those host sights. I'm sure there are going to be some skeptics but if you look at the past 15 years you can see the pattern. Lastly, the NCAA bracket committee has a sense of humor when putting the bracket together. Proximity teams, league teams, upsets, rivals and wouldn't you like to see so and so play each other games? Check it out!

http://on.ncaa.com/2j63Z1e NC St. vs Princeton, Denver vs Colorado, Rice vs. Baylor, Butler vs Northwestern, Clemson vs Alabama, UCF vs Florida.....you get the picture! Games within games, it's not perfect but does anyone other than the folks on Big Soccer really care about Women's Soccer?

hykos1045 repped this.
  16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Marquee wins could be the other differentiating factor here since those four teams I think are relatively close in the RPI rankings. Hofstra and GU don't have any. Auburn has two and Wake has three. If there's anyone that should be complaining purely based on RPI ranking it's Rutgers.

Regardless, the Penn State/WVU side of the Stanford quadrant is brutal, with Georgetown, Wake Forest and Rutgers alongside Penn State and WVU. That side of the quadrant is anyone's for the taking. Stanford has it easy until the elite 8.

If I'm UNC, I'm not happy about getting UCLA as the two seed in my quadrant (would have rather had TAMU). Otherwise that quadrant looks favorable. Duke has got to be happy as well.

The South Carolina quadrant will be exciting. Pretty wide open there too.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bid scream video!

Other schools, plz post your reaction videos here! This thread is about the selection show itself, including reactions to it! (We can also discuss the field, but we'll have so many other threads for that)

Soon, we'll have a separate thread focusing solely on the snubs, and whether the committee followed or broke precedent :coffee:

18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Happy for Wazzu, but sad for UW...again they don’t get in. Coach needs to do better next year, or I’d say she’s on the hot seat

19. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    We (Duke) are happy!

20. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Just glancing quickly but was georgia the only sec team not to get in????? I thought a significant criteria for at large selections is -who is playing well at the end. Some of these teams won 1 game in Oct/Nov. What are mirage....

21. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    LOL no. LSU, Mizzou, Kentucky and UGA didn't get in. UGA wasn't even eligible because sub .500

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  22. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Any thoughts on who were the last 4 left out?!

I’m a bit surprised Minnesota, Washington, Cincinnati and even Boston College didn’t get in

23. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    NCAA just posted the final RPI. Does anyone else think the RPI is way off this year? SEC seems overrated and ACC underrated (though i will admit this is an off year for the ACC). Of course I am 100% biased. Also seems like many mid-majors are performing well in the rankings despite not having any notable results. Guess we'll find out this weekend...

24. pridefan

pridefan Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Hofstra's reaction video:

25. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And Miss State left out. Five did not make it.