NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WWC_Movement, Nov 10, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Virtually all of the heavyweights won tonight.
    Ohio State lost to Vanderbilt, and Georgetown lost to Wake Forest.

Stanford was rewarded with the hardest bracket.
    The committee loves to punish the #1 overall team.
    Penn State and Florida State now look like a machine, at the right time of year.

UCLA just scored recently, so it looks like they are going to prevail.

Nothing too dramatic happened tonight.
    Tough loss for Ohio State in the final moment. They need to find more goal scoring.
    And Georgetown seriously under-achieved, after over-achieving last year.
    Different Year, Different Beer.

[​IMG]

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Stanford will be fine. No one sniffs a game against them before the colllege cup. They are sooooooo loaded

Soccerhunter repped this.
  3. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    I never saw the teams by conference accepted list. Can anyone point me towards it?

How many teams from each conference this year?

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It would not be all that shocking to see FSU or PSU beat them.
    All 3 teams are LOADED with pro & international talent.

Got Jukes? repped this.
  5. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... UCF is out, 1-0 to Washington St. Shocking!

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCF was a pretty clear #2 seed, so I can't criticize the Committee for that seed. It makes the Committee's selection of Washington State as an at large team look pretty darned good. And, let's not forget that WSU beat UCLA.

hykos1045 and mpr2477 repped this.
  7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On an own goal! I am heartbroken for the defender. justr freakin crazy! All credit to the Dederick who came up with some huge saves. Pac 12 represents!

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    So much for the ascension of the Mid-Majors.

Kurt Kline and mpr2477 repped this.
  9. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mentor5959 repped this.
  10. calcio1919

calcio1919 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 11, 2017
    I am new to this forum so forgive me if the question is dumb haha (my daughter is being recruited and I am trying to get a better understanding of the landscape).
    Mid-major schools seem to be struggling but historically which are the best ones that have made runs in the tournament?

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    There aren’t any consistent mid major teams these days, but in the 90s/early 2000s, Portland and Santa Clara we’re serious threats year in year out. Going back further, George Mason we’re consistently good and won the ‘85 natty

calcio1919 repped this.
  12. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Is that a criteria for selection of a school for your daughter.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Send her to Santa Clara.
    She'll get to play for a legendary coach, and player as well (Brandi Chastain).
    If this were the early 2000's, then that school would be Portland.
    They used to win more National Titles.

But Santa Clara is in a better geographic location, especially to get noticed.
    They are in a prime spot in California, and current US Women's National Team players Julie Ertz and Sofia Huerta both played there. As does potential USWNT future prospect Dani Weatherholt, who plays for Orlando in the NWSL.

No other mid-major school can claim that level of recent success at developing and sending players on to the highest level (pro league, and national team).

The other good mid-major programs are UCF, Georgetown, Pepperdine, Princeton, and South Florida. Portland has the best atmosphere.

calcio1919 repped this.
  14. calcio1919

calcio1919 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 11, 2017
    Just me trying to figure out what the difference is between the mid major and a power 5 schools. Many club coaches I have spoken with seem to think power 5 is the best option. Looking at latest results it seems like this may be true but RPI wise there were many mid major schools who finished the season ranked well.

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    If she is good enough to go to a Power 5 school, then send her to a Power 5 school. I think that is a no brainer. If she has the blend of talent and academics to get into a Stanford or Duke and get a great education, then even better.

Here are some other good athletic/academic schools to select from:

Florida State (great program for internationals, especially Euro players to come in)
    North Carolina (legendary program, legendary coach)
    Vanderbilt (great academics, NCAA tournament in women's soccer)
    Northwestern (great academics, NCAA tournament in women's soccer)
    Notre Dame (great academics, great tradition, plays in toughest conference)
    UCLA (a great school to get exposure in the women's game)
    Virginia (they play a great brand of soccer, and have good soccer tradition)
    Texas A&M (fun program to be a part of, great fans)

16. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I disagree with that. Find a coach she likes first and then the power 5/mid major thing next. W Soccer has the second highest transfer rate of all college sports. A lot of kids are picking schools based on stupid reasons. I've worked in admissions and hear all the transfer stories from kids who pick big schools and regret it once they have the day in day out with their coach/staff. Having a great fit and being somewhere she loves will matter way more than what round of the NCAA tourney she went to. And I say this as a former college athlete at a big time pac-12 school. How often do I talk about our wins/record/prestige? Rarely. How often do I talk/think about the impact my coaches had on my life? Every day. People always say don't pick a school for the coach and while it's true you want to be somewhere you are happy regardless of sports, your coach has so much influence on your life and experience.

And as a west coaster with loose ties to schools out here I will weigh in and say never Santa Clara. NEVER. They are shady with their scholarship offers (don't tell some kids their offer and/or change the offer the week of the NLI when it's too late for kids to go elsewhere. Pull money mid career...). There's also a lot of interesting feedback from their alums.

But lastly, don't take advice from us on an anonymous message board. We could be crazy or have an axe to grind. Visit lots of schools, talk to players while you are there about their experience and ask coaches questions not just about soccer. If you take the time to dig past the conference and name you can find a great fit for your kid. If RPI and winning is important, check conference winners and NCAA participants over the past 4/5 years. Some schools may be smaller but are there consistently. And some massive schools are there every year but lose first round...OR carry a roster of 30+ so is that really a great experience? Just dig around.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 McSkillz, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Santa Clara. They have a great program and gave UCLA a hard time this season. The Bay Area is a wonderful college experience as well. I attended UC Santa Cruz which isnt too far so I'm familiar with the area.

EDIT on second thought don't listen to me. I had no idea about the shady scholarship stuff there so apologies. Don't listen to us, many of us are just fans. I'm a UCLA student currently but in grad school so I don't know how their athletic programs work. There are some fathers here that have their daughters enrolled in some good schools, maybe they might be able to provide better advice?

calcio1919 repped this.
  18. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015

Well put: In the end the student-athlete and the parents must do a lot of digging if they want to make a good choice. I'm not sure how well one can really get to know a coach during the recruiting process, but the more contact you have, the better read you will get if it is a school in which one is interested. Recruiting personalities and day-in, day-out coaching personalities can be quite different. At big schools in the P5 you will get better facilities, generally--but in the end there are /many/ factors to consider.

The chances of being recruited over at higher at a big school, and little or reduced playing time is the main reason for transfers, I think--good players who aren't quite good enough to get the minutes they want at programs with lots of good players. That said, one shouldn't shy away from a big school if one is confident in one's abilities. The transfers I don't like are those when a good player leaves one P5 school to go to another that is performing better. Georgia's best player of two years ago quit and transferred to florida. That is BS, in my mind, as there are always going to be programs doing a bit better than yours (with a tiny number of exceptions). Everyone has his or her priorities. As for mid-majors, there are about 24 mid-major conferences and thus about 230 or so mid-major schools. I don't know how anybody chooses a college frankly--students or student-athletes--as there seem to be too many of them. We do not lack for colleges in this country--there are a huge number of them.

calcio1919 repped this.
  19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    OK....I think we covered that issue...can we get back on topic. We are in the middle of the best month of the year. Some juicy games lined up for Friday
    My eyes are on these
    Texas AM vs Notre Dame
    FSU vs Arizona
    Penn St vs Wake
    Rutgers vs WVU
    Colorado vs North Carolina
    Pepperdine vs Virginia
    USC vs Baylor

Good stuff so far....good luck to all with skin in the game

AnsonBlonde, Persin and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  20. CO18

CO18 Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I'm going Pepperdine over Virginia as the likeliest upset... at least from a seeding perspective. Pepperdine is great defensively and Virginia looks sluggish on offense to me.

SpeedK1llz and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  22. SpeedK1llz

SpeedK1llz Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Same here. Pepp defense is one of the best in the country and GK is a machine and makes video game saves (see matchup vs. UCLA earlier this year). Offense is a little banged up for Pepp but they are playing inspired soccer and will find a way to get it done. Pepp 1-0.

23. SpeedK1llz

SpeedK1llz Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That first song has a nice beat...

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Gilmoy, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    2017/11/17 Fri
    (+15=0-2) #4 Princeton - North Carolina State (+15=1-5) [ESPN3]
    AET 1-1. Kicks!

NC State kicks first:
    1 | 1 _ _ _ _ | #14 Taylor Porter, right instep to back left low (Grossi frozen)
    0 | 0 _ _ _ _ | #19 Mimi Asom, right instep soft chip to right post low, Wootten dives and catches

2 | 1 1 _ _ _ | #2 Tziarra King, one-step right instep to back left low (past Grossi's dive)
    1 | 0 1 _ _ _ | #20 Courtney O'Brien, right instep to center 2/3 high (Wootten dove her left)

3 | 1 1 1 _ _ | #4 Hannah Keough, left instep to 1/5 left back low (Grossi frozen)
    2 | 0 1 1 _ _ | #4 Vanessa Gregoire, right instep pull to 1/4 left 2/3 high, off Wootten's fingers into back left high

4 | 1 1 1 1 _ | #7 Ricarda Walkling, right instep opens hip to right post low, under Grossi's dive
    3 | 0 1 1 1 _ | #23 Emily Hilliard-Arce, right instep pull into left side netting low (past Wootten's dive)

4 | 1 1 1 1 0 | #3 Kristina Schuster, right instep to 1/5 left low, Grossi dives and saves
    4 | 0 1 1 1 1 | #2 Tomi Kennedy, right instep to left back low (Wootten dove wrong)

4 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 0 | #6 Lulu Guttenberger, right instep just high over center
    4 | 0 1 1 1 1 | 0 | #10 Mikaela Symanovich, right instep juuuuuust wide left low (Wootten dove wrong)

4 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 0 0 | #4 Dakota Stephens, left instep to 1/3 left 1/4 high, Grossi topples and blocks
    5 | 0 1 1 1 1 | 0 1 | #12 Carolyne Davidson, opens hips right instep off right post 2/5 high, bounces across goal into back left edge (Wootten stepped wrong)

NC State was one kick away, but Princeton survives!

25. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Don't mess with Washington State.
    They'll put lead in your Auss.
    They have nothing to lose going forward.
    Very dangerous team right now.