NCAA DI Women's Soccer Selection Show

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 6, 2016.

1. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    So?

It's the DePaul team that wins and loses no matter who they put out there for what reason. Injury, national team duty, big donors kid..... All that matters is the score sheet.

Here is what I don't follow. You make it sound like Texas Tech or Oklahoma St got your NCAA bid. To my minds eye they got Virginia Tech and Miami's.

I agree the two Big 12 teams, did not belong, not because of where they finished in conference but because their resume was just not that good.

2. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
  3. Merlin13

Merlin13 New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    NCAA should take all the bubble teams and have a one game playoff to see who gets in.

4. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    ...then BS can argue about who is a bubble team.

Gilmoy and cpthomas repped this.
  5. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Question, where is the elite 8 played?

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    The highest seed's home field.

7. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016

as I thought, thanks

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one I've always not liked. It's seemed to me that if you've upset the highest seed, you should succeed to their place and be able to host.

goaleemama and mentor5959 repped this.
  9. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    There are 32 mid-majors in the field of 64 or 50%.
    In the 1st round mid majors played 22 games vs Power 5.
    Their record was 0-20-2 and they were outscored 8-65.

I would say your theory that more mid-majors should get a chance is not founded.

Outside of traditional power Santa Clara, and unseeded mid major hasn't won a game in the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

I am not arguing that OSU, Texas Tech or A&M should have gotten in or not, but results do not support your comment that the best teams are not being invited. Their is an enormous gap between mid majors (not counting BYU, Georgetown and Santa Clara, and the Power 5.

10. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    #135 mentor5959, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    I have always tough of DI womens soccer as being 3 tired.

1) ACC
    2) the other Power 5 conferances
    3) the rest

11. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a bit unfair way to look at what I said. How many of those were at large selections? and what was the record of the teams with sub-500 conference records for comparison?

My argument is I still think the tournament would be better if the rule for entry required a better than .500 overall record AND conference record.

And for the record, DePaul played Georgetown twice and won 4-1 and tied 1-1 (losing in pk). Both at Georgetown. I think they were good enough for the NCAAs and the selection process needs to be reviewed ...

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you'd better start talking to Athletic Directors and basketball coaches, since these rules are basically the same for all sports. They're not going to change this just for women's soccer. They'll have to change it for all team sports.

Gilmoy and goaleemama repped this.
  13. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    That is a grad total of one top 50 win on the year.
    VT had 4.
    You had a sub 100 loss, VT had none.
    VT did not make the tourney.

Let me ask you this, why do you favor inferior teams be selected to the tournament because they don't play competitive schedules?

and how does including inferior teams enhance the value of the tournament as you say it would?

14. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    ACC's #8 seed the last few years have been to the NCAA championship game (Duke) and a Sweet 16 (NC State). The conference deserves 8-9 teams each year. The occasional first round upset (like BC in 2015) doesn't happen often.

European football fan repped this.
  15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Agreed! Well stated.

European football fan repped this.