NCAA D1 women's semifinal, Duke vs. UCLA

Discussion in 'Referee' started by magres, Dec 4, 2017.

1. magres

magres New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I was watching the semifinal between UCLA and Duke and saw UCLA perform two "trick" corner kick plays that I thought were mishandled. In the first (near end of regulation), UCLA player, with foot on top of ball, gives a little kicking motion with the top foot but doesn't appear to lose contact with the ball. A second player comes over and dribbles in towards the PA. In my opinion, either the ball is in play and the first kicker played the ball twice, or the ball was never in play, and the second player was guilty of a second touch. In the second instance, in the first overtime period, two UCLA players are at the corner, and it appears that one player played it to herself.

Am I misinterpreting the rule or did I miss something?
    Mahalo

2. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 tomek75, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    On the first one, approximately 1:41 in the video, it is a poorly executed trick play. If I saw that I would call is a double touch because of the dribble by the other player.
    On the second one, approximately 1:45 in the video, it's not a trick play it's a double touch and a pretty blatant one. The AR should have seen that. On the second one,

3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The second was a blatant double touch. You would like to think a garden variety ref would see that and flag it.At that level absolutely. Yikes.:(

4. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    After the first use of the trick play, as AR I'm watching every corner after that and this one would get flagged for double touch. You can't play it both ways. If the foot on the ball is a legal touch (as in the first one) then the next time it is, too.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Ref asleep on both plays

6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like both were missed. Can’t be missing/ignoring that kind of stuff at this level.

7. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second is definitely a miss. First one harder to tell but looks like two motions of the foot.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  9. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Brings up a long held thought of mine- if one assumes the first play is legal, who would call handling if the second player, instead of dribbling, had picked the ball up to reposition it for a regular corner?

10. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If they try to play games with corners I will apply the rules of their game to all subsequent corner kicks. I've only had one high school game that did that kind of corner and they never hinted at doing it again, but I was watching. I was ready to flag a double touch, handling, what ever they did wrong after the play with a foot.

It was funny, because they never fiddled with the ball with their feet after that. Always positioned the ball with their hands and then never touched it until the kick.

OK, I'll admit it. I really wanted to catch them.

swoot and CPT_Hoolie repped this.
  11. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As a college referee, I find this miss for this level of a game to just be horrible. This is the national semi-final. The top level of college crews--particularly since the final has "professionals" on the crew.

The second one is on the AR. She sees both touches!!! I expect the CR's focus to be in the GA. A blatant double touch as I've ever seen. If the play ends up with the ball in the net, Duke should have felt aggrieved.

12. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 tomek75, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    The 4O has a white badge, but I don't expect him to make this[​IMG] call :)

13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    But do they have corner kicks in Futsal?:rolleyes:

PH

SouthernYank and me116 repped this.