NCAA and traveling to Europe for trials

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by jeremys_dad, Dec 20, 2015.

1. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I maybe a bit cynical, but in my mind, these tournaments, camps and trips hosted by or in partnership with foreign teams, whether in the States or aboard, are more marketing and making a bit of coin, then they are actually/seriously scouting, trying out, and recruiting US youth players…I am very skeptical these “auditions“ are anything more than very expense overseas trips, with little soccer thrown in, and that most kids with parents willing to shell out $5000 can’t send their kid to one or something similar…

3. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    A player can play games with or against pros before he starts college without violating current NCAA rules, so long as he is not paid (beyond expenses) and does not sign a contract or have an agent.

After he starts college, the player cannot play a game on a professional team, which includes any team with even one paid player. But college players can play on an amateur team against a pro team/pro players ( for example, friendlies or U.S. Open Cup etc).

College players can and do attend informal "trials" or camps with pro teams, both domestic and abroad, without losing eligibility, so long as they do not play in any games, and so long as they are not paid and don't sign a contract or have an agent.

Finally, in all situations that might involve the NCAA rules, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.

mwulf67 repped this.
  4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Any time you train with a team it is a tryout because if they like what they see, they can offer you a contract. Here is Bersano's story about his training stints before his final year at PSU

5. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Austin Martz, story about signing with Pembroke Atleta FC
    "Sitting in my hometown of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania at a trendy coffee shop called Juice and Java, I completed the payment for a combine — a kind of tryout — in Washington, D.C. It was held by Pro Soccer Consulting, an agency in the United Kingdom that likes to bring American players over to Europe for football tours with the intention of seeing them earn trials or contracts with European clubs. I didn’t really know what the combine would offer. Only a few players possess the skills to stand out at a combine. However, I hoped to impress a few European scouts who would be there, particularly those from Scandinavia.

I felt nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous that I had just wasted money, thinking the combine was a long shot. Excited, for the once-in-a-lifetime chance I would have to play in front of Scandinavian scouts. "

6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interesting reads…seriously….I am glad US men can find work in Europe playing soccer, even if in smaller/lower leagues…

However, I am still skeptical that Big Name Teams are seriously recruiting our 13 year olds with these two-week camps/trips overseas that parents are paying for…when aspirating US kids get recruited, like Erik Palmer-Brown, it’s the clubs that whip out the checkbook, not the parents…

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/club...old-prodigy-erik-palmer-brown-move-to-europe/

7. gshoe10

gshoe10 New Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Agree 100%. These tours are put on by travel agencies and are just a money grab. We've got one local club that is touting that they had 5 players go to the "US National" camp for a Scottish club and all 5 were invited to Scotland to continue on the process. The local DOC is either an idiot or a genius marketer, I haven't decided yet. A few of the kids are going to Scotland and their parents can't stop talking about it. They act like they're getting their big break, when in actuality it's just the club and travel agent making a few bucks. I have no problem with parents that want to shell out the money to give their kids a once in a lifetime experience, but the ones that think it's their kids extraordinary talent that got them the invite makes me feel sorry for them.