NC Courage 2017

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Jan 12, 2017.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that your primary reason for wanting the Courage to sign Bronze is because she went to UNC, not because she fills a need. If I'm wrong, then I apologize, but the point is that if the team were to try and sign her, it should be for positional need first, with the UNC factor being less important.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 babranski, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    The Courage need both a CB & a wide back.

thomas57 repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. Erceg did not perform well as CB last year; she was more beneficial to the team as defensive mid. The Courage need a very good CB- someone who is better than either Erceg or Kennedy right now, or will be that good very soon - to play next to Dahlkemper. The Courage also need a right fullback who defends better than Eddy. IMO, the team needs to keep Eddy - she is a vital organ in the emotional body of the team.

I may be wrong, but I think Sampson had Lucy Bronze playing the right CB alongside Houghton vs. Norway a couple of days ago. I think he had Alex Scott at right fullback

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. thomas57

thomas57 New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The Courage need both a CB & a wide back

Anyone notice the NC Courage did draft a CB on January 12th? Claire Wagner from Clemson University. She was part of a 2013 freshman class at Clemson that turned the program around, co-champions of the ACC in 2016, playing for Coach Eddie Radwanski. Wagner is a local girl, CASL product, who was part of a two-time ECNL National Championship team from Raleigh, playing for Damon Nahas, current Asst Coach for Anson Dorrance at UNC.

Big, strong, physical CB, strong in the air and very good on set pieces. Her resume includes numerous ACC accolades, quite an accomplishment playing in that conference. Perhaps she can come in, earn a spot, and contribute on the backline for The Courage.

CoachJon and BlueCrimson repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. thomas57

thomas57 New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    RE: CB Claire Wagner - there is an article in the Cary Citizen from Jan 24:
    http://carycitizen.com/2017/01/24/cary-local-joins-north-carolina-courage/

Found this from AWK (Chris Henderson) on Wagner:

20. Claire Wagner – D (CB) – Clemson (click on highlight link)

What I Said Before 2016:

Leader of a hard-nosed Clemson defense that has helped turn the Tigers into a contender in the ACC. Understandably, it was pretty tough for Wagner to get recognized as one of the nation’s top young center-backs early in her career with Clemson’s diminished profile, but as the Tigers have soared up the ACC ladder, so has the profile of their defensive bulwark. A starter from day one here, Wagner’s been an unshakable presence at the heart of the talented rearguard for three seasons and finally got much deserved All-ACC Third Team honors after her strong showing as a junior in 2015. Like some of the other members of Clemson’s defense, Wagner’s got some scoring punch as well and showed as much last season, finishing tied for third on the team in goals with three and second in assists with five, both strong totals for a center-back.

Anything New?

Wagner again was at the heart of the defense for Clemson as they won the ACC title and finally completed their surge from the league’s basement a half-decade ago. The center-back also continued to shine in front of goal with four more goals to take her career total to eleven, which is pretty impressive for a central defender. I’m not sure I’d reach for her in the first few rounds, but Wagner looks like a steady hand who could be a gem from the last few rounds for a team needing defense.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Wagner, but I can't help but say I hope the Courage are not relying on her to fill the Kennedy hole at CB. I do hope she gets to play in front of her home crowd, though.

9. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I couldn't resist....Sorry BlueCrimson. Ha.

Trade Proposal (In June): KC sends HAO to NC for either Eckerstrom or Rowland and the rights to Jaycie Johnson.

* You guys have an extra keeper any way and Jaycie Johnson is recovering from her 2nd ACL tear and is another natural attacker...which you guys have an insane amount of already.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You need to catch up on the news

11. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It was more of a joke directed at BlueCrimson.

I know reports have been conflicted on HAO's return from Arsenal but KC is reporting that she will return in June. Hence why I said (June).

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oak City Supporters are starting to work on supporting Courage

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Would be funny if KC traded to get Rowland back. (At the time it happened, I thought it was a perfect example of why the NWSL should allow intra-league loans, so if they wanted Rowland back that would just confirm it.)

Myrtle repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 CoachJon, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Da Band is officially back together.
    826097680212426753 is not a valid tweet id

This is huge! I totally feared that they would end up with a different coach.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lynn Williams - what a sweetheart.
    You guys should thank Steve Malik every day. BUY TICKETS.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not find a clip of Lynn Williams' USA v GER post- game interview, when she charmingly and correctly praised Christen Press for setting up the goal opportunity. I am so stupid in love with Lynn Williams, I'll post this one instead:

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody still think my desire to see Lucy Bronze play for this team was wishy washy UNC nonsense? One of the best right backs in the world & she proved it tonight vs the US.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That doesn't mean it isn't wishy washy UNC nonsense. Especially since your whole point was about getting UNC players - and you picked a player with only the most tenuous of connections. A one-year dropout who is one of only a handful of UNC women's players ever who do not have a national title on their resume.

Being an international caliber player doesn't change any of that.

23. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, that wasn't my whole point. It was the point you tried to project onto the argument because she was a UNC player. All *I* said was that I'd like to see her play for NC, much in the same way I would say it if it was any other player who didn't play at UNC. There is nothing, zero, nilch, nada... nothing wrong or misleading about that. There is no additional context required for someone to say something like that. If I like that player, I like that player... & I shouldn't have to worry about someone picking apart my reasons for it. Asshole.

The ONLY thing UNC had ANYTHING to do with it was my awareness of her... if she hadn't played at UNC I wouldn't know much about her & then wouldn't know what incredible form she was in at a position that NC Courage could really use the depth at. The topic of whether her being from UNC had any additional value for NC did eventually come up in the course of that ridiculous argument, but it was not in anyway a motivation for my original desire to see her play.

You also, for whatever reason, decided to point out the negative aspects of Lucy Bronze's career at UNC. Who gives a shit if she wasn't the poster child of NCAA student athletes? She's really, really, good at wide back & would be an incredible addition to the NC Courage, or any team for that matter.

Stop being an arrogant pedantic asshole, Andy.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes sense to me and rings true.
    Regardless, NC Courage do need an excellent right back and Bronze fits the description.

Vauxhall ad wishes England footballers good luck in World Cup semi-final
    [​IMG]

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm trying to recall what Bronze did that was so amazing that it warranted bringing this topic back. I'm not saying she was bad or anything, rather that she just didn't stand out to me. Perhaps she'd be a better defender than Eddy, but she didn't show to me she'd be any better going forward than her. And wasn't she defending the right side? The side Lavelle was on...