NBR: SC stuff, news, columbia, charleston, anything.

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Dec 15, 2008.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well so I was told that there is one soccer bar in columbia, its called bulls or something. mike told me that there is about 3 soccer bars in charleston, what about myrtle beach? or greenville?

the other question i had, i may end up going to coastal carolina, is it really a bad school? kind of hard to get he 3.0 gpa to get into USC, im not a very good student.

what else? oh and whats in charleston, any big year event that i should be aware of? like a big party or something?

2. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bailey's Sports Bar in Greenville (Laurens rd, between Haywood and Woodruff, next to Hooter's) is listed as having FSC, though when I went there to watch the USOC final, the only soccer they could find was a replay of an EPL game. I suspect they still have FSC/GolTV, they just aren't soccer-intelligent. They will put on any sports channel for you if you request it to your waitress (and they can find it); I went there to grab some lunch watch a Champions League game a while back. They have pretty good sandwiches and fish, and my friend really likes the Newcastle Cheese soup.

CCU, as far as I know, isn't a bad school. I didn't apply there so I'm not sure about their standards. If you want to go to USC, try to get decent test grades. I was on the lower end of acceptable GPAs when I graduated, but my SAT scores were high above the average.

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i think i only need a 2.0 gpa to get into coastal.

nah dude i fall sleep in bio clases, i cant even do begining algebra exercises. i mean i will try to pass those clases this time but im like a complete joke in the classroom.

anyway, i can always be a coach, sell insurances or something like that.

being a good student is not an easy thing for me, but i guess now than im about to be done with competitive soccer maybe i can stay more focused in school.

ill let you know when i hit greenville, i have a couple of friends there. i also have a few friends in aiken and rock hill, kids i met at the latino nights at usc.

i need more friends in charleston and myrtle beach though, i used to know somebody that played for socastee but i think he is gone already, that dude was pretty good.

i know a couple of people i know go to the college of charleston but i just played soccer with them i never really chilled with them, i talked to zack prince a couple of times when i used to be a coach assitant at irmo jv.

drew sams i think is in charleston. wow i have to get around sc again.

i met this dude from greenville in los angeles when i was training with a pdl team, idk if he was from greenville but he said he used to play for gfc black, and he was pretty good too.

how about charlotte who lives in charlotte here?

4. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Coastal grad and it all depends on what you major in. The people at Coastal are VERY open minded. You have to be because 85% of the students are from somewhere else. Since a large amount of student from outside the state want to go to school in/near Myrtle Beach (aka party school, which is true), being accepted is getting harder and harder. Good luck though. Are you thinking about joining the team? If so, throw me a line and I'll "warn" the coach about you.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    im a little too old to play college ball already, i wouldnt really brag about schooling 18 years old kids. alex acre, one of my good irmo friends play for them i think. he played odp for sc.

i think my best option would be coastal, i really dont know what im going to go for, prob business since i have to take a loan and eventually pay for it.

yeah i passed my college age era already, if anything i may start playing pdl or try some usl. thanks though.

i will have to visit the school to make sure that is really where i want to go, myrtle beach may be nice but i may get stucked partying too much there. ill see.

for now im concentrated on fixing one of my knee and then i will see what i can do about soccer, also getting this algebra courses out of the way.

6. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it IS a party school and you there's almost no way around it. It's like the Anti-Citadel is so many ways: surviving the miltary lifestyle vs. surviving a liver transplant. It actually made me stop/put on the brakes on drinking. You grow up REAL fast.

If you do decide to go to Coastal, MAJOR IN BUSINESS!!!

7. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Im interested in filming, usc columbia may be the only one with a program, and their program is not any good. it will much cheaper for me to go to school here.

about the quality of the program i dont really care, i work my way up from the bottom, im a 3 times state champ so the phrase "working hard" doesnt scare me.

i like charleston, i heard so many good things about it. getting the college of charleston i heard is difficult though, there is not way in heck i would try to get into the citadel, too many dudes out there with not hotties around.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what about the Art institute of charleston? or the Trident Tech College they have a two year film program
    http://www.tridenttech.edu/film_media_visual_arts.htm

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    trident i think is in clemson, if that is the case i dont think i want to leave that far from the city, im a city boy.

i gone have to research this art institute in charleston. very important.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trident is here in Charleston, only about 10 min from my house and seem to be growing all the time.

11. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    thanks for the info, ill google it, maybe i can go to visit and see what is like.

sounds interesting.

everything seens like i gone have to for business and is sad, making money may sounds great to many people but to me, office work is boring. i have some accounting experience and if if wasnt bc my friend who is training me is hot, she is a former cheerleader, i would have quit accounting already.

i gone have to get around charleston a little more, i guess is bc you have soccer in there, it just gives me a good vibe, just like back at home in el salvador and los angeles where i had the beach 20 minutes away.

idk about myrtle beach, too much party is not always good.

12. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of my friends who graduated last year go to Trident actually. Ive heard nothing but good things about the school.

13. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah i did research the 2 schools. Charleston School of arts is super expensive, so thats out of my budget.

I like the technical school but the big problem would be the living expenses. I had to run out of LA bc it was too expensive to live there, Charleston for what I've heard is really expensive to live too.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I prob gone have to go to SC if anything Ill have to go for business at Coastal.

But living in Charleston after getting a degree would be nice. Is between Charleston, LA and Miami, I like South Carolina just bc my "glory" days were in Columbia but many people tells me that I guy like me should be out there trying to get the big fish in LA or Miami.

We will see how it goes.

SC is somehow special, most of my friends are here, my family loves the South, I kind of missed Irmo when I was in Los Angeles ;)

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed Irmo???????????????:D

15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

LA is great man, but hey is the big city, there is a jungle out there with a lot of wild things...

i prob going to travel every year to the city of angels but for now im good in irmo south carolina ;)

16. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    for the dude that lives in columbia.

we're having a pick up game tonight at blasst fields. 7pm, go there and bring your boys if you want or girls, we gone have a few latina girls playing too.

peace and anybody in the columbia/lexington area are invited.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What are good places to go camping in SC? We are planning a camping trip with the boys over the weekend.

Anybody who enjoy going camping here?

18. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goindownsouth (or anyone else that may be able to help),

What (if any) pick-up games do you know of in/around Greenville? Currently I play on Tuesday evenings in Duncan (exit 63 on I85) but can't always make it to that one, and would like to try to play at least once a week.

If you (or anyone else nearby) would like directions and information on the Tuesday games, shoot me a PM. The more the merrier.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a good website here in Charleston www.spoccer.com that list all the pickup games. I know the guys who started are looking to add other cities. Might be worth getting some details together and see if they can help.

20. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Hello folks Brigade members and Battery fans:

I recently acquired a new job for Examiner.com as the NY Soccer Examiner. For this position I will be writing strictly about news and information relevant to New York soccer. So, unfortunately I won't have much Battery involved (unless there is a showdown with the Red Bulls). It is unfortunate that New York didn't play in the Challenge Cup again, but I hope to get down to Charleston again in the next year (I know, a long time, but I am super busy). Anyway, if you have some extra time and feel like reading about New York stuff, I would appreciate it if you guys gave the site a click (I am on a pay by click basis). Maybe even if you just want to check out "This week in New York soccer history" every Wednesday for a neat, short read. Thanks guys, and good luck this season. If you make a road trip up north at all, let me know. I might be able to get to Montreal or Rochester. Here is the link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4801-NY-Soccer-Examiner

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  22. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dinosaur Jr will be performing at the Music Farm in Charleston on April 25th. I'm very seriously considering going. Anyone else a Dinosaur fan?

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    today is one of the biggest soccer clasicos in high school soccer for the state of south carolina.

dutch fork at irmo high school. 14 times state champ and #2 ranked irmo host the #5 in the state dutch fork. ill be there tonight, good old days in high school ball :cool:

24. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    Doesn't Irmo have 15 state championships?

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i love high school soccer. the quality is not there yet. but the entertaining and the drama is there. even better than mls :p

the irmo df match has a lot stuff for the fans.

im def going for the rematch. almost a fight, 2 red cards, and irmo showing some great players.

good stuff.

irmo should face Enzo Martinez in the championship, im def there.