NBR: SC Colleges, High Schools, and Amateur Soccer.

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at Dave Tart, he sold pharmeceuticals. instead of playing pro ball and now just plays down here in the over 35 league with Clark Brisson, Tommy Loeber and Jamie Posnanski, just to mention some more USC guys.

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well i know him, he has the tools to do it, if he wants do it or not thats up to him. we do need a pdl in columbia or south carolina, a lot of talent is being wasted here.

I remember when i was a kid, they had a kid 3 years younger than me in the state team in their category, they went to Argentina to the Mendoza tournament. The kid was the superstar in the tournament. We are talking of a 10 years old kid. I think he has played for El Salvador in different youth national teams but he has not being called for the senior team just yet.

Now this kid plays for Vista Hermosa in first division. What is the difference with this kids and our sc kids?

They have options in their own hometown and they stick to it.

3. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's all about being "discovered." Unfortunately, the way US soccer is set up, it doesn't create many opportunities for these great discoveries. I also don't have a better solution, but it is what it is here in the states. These kids with such great potential are discovered EARLY in other countries and then brought along through youth academies, into the junior squads, before being finally introduced into the sr. squads, if they're worthy of it. Here, they play youth rec ball, move into academy, hope to make their high school team, are lucky if they make it onto a college squad somewhere, and then a few make it to MLS.....which for the most part is a DEAD END ROAD. The talent is not there, nor is the quality of play. It's just not.....when compared to the rest of the world.

Therefore, you don't have the premier clubs of the world even investigating the youth prospects stateside. The talent and potential is here, no question. The rest of the world sees the end product in the MLS and have decided that this is as good as it gets in the US, therefore, don't make the investment of time nor $$ to come see what talent is REALLY available at the youth level.

I've just spent the past 3 years coaching a kid that's just turned 9....WORLDS of potential. I'm convinced that if we were in another country, he'd get an invite to join a youth program at a club. And how many more like him are there in SC, the Southeast, and nationwide? Too many to count.

Now, do I have any idea that he'd eventually make it? Nope. But, I see the potential and a lot of clubs would, too. It's all about being in the right place at the right time....and about being in that place at a young enough age.

4. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    and this is the reason why i insist in asking for a PDL team in columbia. the kids wont have an excuse after they are done with the academy, if you go into pdl and you dont make it then thats your problem, pdl should get you ready for a professional career.

at least i know somebody from irmo that is already doing some training with mls teams, if he plays there thats up to him but i think he is gone go for it.

every year irmo comes out with GREAT talent and what happends to this kids? who knows.

Greenville seriously needs a usl 2 team and columbia a pdl team. we need to put this kids to follow their dreams.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    semifinals are tomorrow.

1. Irmo at Wando: Irmo HS goes undefeated as the big dog in the series, Wando hopes for the crowd to be a big factor.

2. Northwestern vrs Forth Mill: Northwestern goes for his 2nd tittle consecutive and with their superstar Enzo Martinez.

Everybody is hoping for a final between both undefeated teams, Irmo-Northwestern on Saturday.

Good stuff for the little boys of the Palmeto State.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where are the games being played?

7. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe that NW is at home on Tuesday evening, but definitely know that Wando are hosting Irmo on Tuesday evening....the latter game should be a real knockdowner....LOTS of smacktalk on the www.scsoccer.com message board under the High School Soccer tab....

If I didn't have a meeting tomorrow evening after work, I'd definitely road-trip it.

For those of you out of the loop, NW is currently ranked #1 in the US while Irmo is ranked #4 in the US.....yes, in the COUNTRY. Both are undefeated and are on a collision course, but Wando and Fort Mill would like to think they'd have something to say about that....we'll see tomorrow night!:eek:

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, dozens of years since leaving the area, and I still hate Irmo :)

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I live in Mt. P, I guess I should go root for my homeboys, it's been awhile since my 2 were roaming the halls of hallowed Wando. And you're right, there should be fireworks, apparently Wando isn't shy about getting cards.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about heading down there too. what time does it start?

11. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KO is at 7:00 pm at the OLD Wando, not the new school (new 4 years ago....). And it does cost something to get in.....$5 or so I believe....

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks IM heading out that way in a few minutes hope the rain holds off.

going to see a show afterwords so might leave at the half but we'll see.

Mikey

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irmo won 3-2 in overtime.

pretty exciting game with Irmo taking the lead early, wando tieing it up then getting the go ahead goal in OT but Irmo came back and scored two goals in in as many minutes to win the match. there was a good size crowd I would guess between 1500-2000.

Northwestern won the other match so it will be the #1 vs the #4 in the4 country this Saturday up in Columbia.

Also, July 11 will be the SC all-stars vs. the NC all-stars prior to the Charleston battery Carolina Railhawks match you can find the rosters here
    http://www.scsoccer.com/

15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i will try to make it to that game in charleston. i dont think i would make it on sat bc of work.

i heard also that the irmo-northwestern is going to be on espnU. good stuff.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northwestern win 3-1 to take the State championship. I heard that while Enzo did his thing, his little brother, Alex, was easily the man of the match.

pleanty of news articles out there
    here is a few links

http://news.google.com/news?ned=us&hl=en&ncl=duTB6ALiu0ZeqiMHxYB4fwOuPFaiM&cf=all&scoring=n

Anyone heard when (if) it is going to be televised? I would love to see this match

Bishop England also won their AA championship match. So good on the local boys.

looking forward to seeing some of the players here at the Buad on July 11 for hte Clash of the Carolinas

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Alex took the centermid, but the real show was stoled by little sophmore garbanzo.

2 goals and one of the off a rebound with a phenomenal scissors kick.

Alex had more the ball but clearly the best player on the team is enzo, anytime enzo had the ball in the second half, irmo suffered.

yeah i also want to watch the game, it will be nice in somebody post a video or something.

18. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    heard the usc women soccer team are conference champions.