NBR: SC Colleges, High Schools, and Amateur Soccer.

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Dec 30, 2008.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just to keep up with soccer around the state of South Carolina.

I couldnt keep up with the gamecocks or the tigers. College soccer super ignored by the media.

In High Schools I think Northwestern is the 4A Champ. In clubs I heard Greenville paired up with another club, and CSC is Columbia United now.

I though it will be cool for now that the season hasnt started.

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    any of you follows high school soccer? college soccer or club soccer in the state of south carolina? :confused:

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I dont really follow High school. some College and check out club stuf every now and then

Mikey

4. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well ill update some.

SC did terrible this season, Im not sure how clemson did. cofc did alright i guess the same with furman.

Some of my boys are doing fine. Zack Prince is doing ok at the cofc, Danny Cates is going to be brilliant with the years to come for Berson.

I heard a lot of good stuff about Enzo Martinez. I may go to watch him play at the Lake Murray Challenge, my younger brother saw him last year and he said he is pretty good.

IrmoHS is ready to have another good year, idk about Dutch Fork. I think Spring Valley is the current Champ for 4a. I heard good things about Wando coming up really strong this season.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Bridge FA here in Charleston is a pretty well organized and accomplished club

http://www.bridgefa.com/

Wando HS has a good team as well as Bishop-England HS

here is a cool website I found that has tons of High School stuff
    http://www.scsoccer.com/

6. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bridge won the u16 national championship. Clark Brisson is their drector.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda disappointed that Summerville does not play any home games while the CCC is going on for me to run up and relive the good old days :) They play at Bishop England (I vaguely remember such a school), but it is the night of the pub crawl. I know my priorities :)

8. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    when i was in hs i used to visit sc soccer like everyday im a big boy now so i hang out here with the battery boys :cool:

northwestern is supposed to be another superpower oh and greenville, our neighbors from chapin too, some of my friends used to play for chapin.

i heard of an article about enzo martinez on espn, something about he is not a "legal" so he may not be able to play for clemson instead his best shot would be to go pro... interesting.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill have to keep an eye on this Martinez kid. sounds promising.

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i gone look for him on facebook, im sure he is there :D

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Clark talking about this kid in the pub for that very reason.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the firewall at work wasnt so restrictive. thanks for the links

One thing I read somewhere is that the kid was illegal. glad one of the articles cleared that up. He's not illegal, just not a US citizen. Im not sure how that effects his college eligiblity as there are tons of players (and students) from overseas going to college in the states.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is a video link from teh summer.

kids got a level head on his shoulders

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjfthGCkW3I"]YouTube - Enzo Martinez[/ame]

there is a related video titled Enzo and Alex. im sure that is him in that video as well.

15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i was talking to hugo arzalus yesterday, one of my boys that goes to sc, and he told me he is good friend with enzo, alex is his little brother and i guess a alex is good too.

as far as other kids in the state.

Zack Acre used to be impressive when i was helping as an assitant coach at irmo jv, im sure zack is on his way to a professional career also.

im wondering if enzo won the "all american" thing last year, in the last years they usually come from dutch fork, we had corey lugger when i was there, then we had danny cates. i used to work with danny on dutch fork im 80% he is going MLS, very humble kid and hard worker.

anybody here is up to date with colleges in south carolina? i need to catch up with some more college ball.

this is cool since the battery is on break, once the battery starts we are not going to have time anymore to talk kinder soccer :D

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Enzo disses the teams in South Carolina and heads across the state line to become a Tar Heel...

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1120699.html

Apparently none of the SC schools were even among his finalists, though obviously the writer goofed when he said Texas was one Martinezes final schools because the Longhorns don't have a men's soccer program and I doubt he'd be allowed to play for the women.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    interesting? but why north carolina i wonder?

i would have gone to texas or california.... new york. he prob knows he has not chance on mls...

wouldnt it be much more easier to play for mls if you already live in new york or LA?

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow, you continue to amaze me with the stupidity of your posts.

Eddie Pope, Greg Berhalter, Kerry Zavagnin, Carey Talley, Logan Pause, Chris Carrieri, David Stokes, Dax McCarty, Jamie Watson - they all played at North Carolina and went on to either be high MLS draft picks or play in Europe.

Pope and Berhalter combined to make 5 World Cup teams.

Tab Ramos and Pablo Mastroeni played a few miles down the road at NC State and they combined to play in 5 World Cups as well.

The proximity of your college to an MLS market has nothing to with your chances of success in pro soccer. Nothing.

19. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus, North carolina was in the fianl four this year, if I'm not mistaken.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    easy man. pm me if you want to be tough.

21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VANCOUVER, B.C. - Former College of Charleston men's soccer standout Wes Knight (Easley, S.C.) has agreed to a two-year contract with the Vancouver Whitecaps, a member of the United Soccer League's (USL) First-Division.

Knight, who finished his career with the Cougars after the 2008 season, joins the Whitecaps, who are the defending champions of the USL First Division. The team also captured the title in 2006.

Knight was a four-year starter for the Cougars as a defender, logging time in 78 matches.

This past season, Knight anchored a Charleston defensive unit that paced the Cougars on a run to the 2008 Southern Conference Championship Match, as the team picked up 11 total wins on the season. For his efforts, he was named to the All-Southern Conference team and to the NSCAA/adidas All-South region squad, both for the second consecutive season.

22. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Anybody keeping up with the Lake Murray Challenge and high school soccer?

What about Columbia Mans League?

23. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northwestern was just ranked #1 in the country. Not all states play high school soccer in the spring so, maybe an asterisk next to this ranking. i.e. I think big soccer states like Florida and California play in the fall. But still, can't do better than #1. I've been hearing about this Enzo kid for years, he must be something special.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1152290.html

Wando's girls are the defending state champs and they should challenge again this year. The boys side is usually very competitive. Irmo is traditionally the team to beat but NW, Wando, Spring Valley, Riverside and several others are always in the playoffs.

24. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    when I was coaching at DF I coached Danny Cates for a big whos probably going MLS.

Now I was checking out the highlights for the Lake MC and my surprise was that Enzo comes as the big star but another kid that I used to coach, Zack Acre is next to him as the SCHS super stars.

I guess studends are all rock stars :cool:

Im going to try to catch up with some of these games.

25. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't you think he's got a lot to prove before making that claim? I recognize that he was a good high schooler, but so far, that's it. He's yet to break into his college starting lineup and a lot can happen in these next three years.

There have been certain former USC superstars that opted to forego continuing their standout careers for something as silly as say....to play in a band? Can anyone say Jim Sonefeld? aka Sony? Hootie and the Blowfish? Point is...a lot can happen to change his course on top of the fact that he hasn't yet even charted his course....

I agree that the kid is a good player and has tons of potential but to say he's probably going MLS is a bit of a stretch for me at this point. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'....:cool: