NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that Peacock will replicate the offerings for the cheaper Gold (live games only) and the Gold with the archived games and extra content will exist separately. If so, hopefully the “full Gold” will be available as a cheaper add on to Peacock. Just guesses.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Maybe they can use former Newcastle defender Darren Peacock to promote it.

QPR Kevin H, HomietheClown and daniloni repped this.
  3. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Could be nice if you can nip in and out at $5/month for the gold games and some of the other gold perks. Guessing they're going to get rid of the whole gold thing by the start of next season.

Also, actually throwing some resources behind it rather than the bare bones, not very user-friendly gold. But we'll see what actually happens.

I'd pay a pretty high premium if they unlocked ALL PL games and gave access to regional sports networks and it's probably years before that could happen, but this is at least a start.

4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if Gold is a part of Peacock Premium which would be free to authenticated cable subs or $5/month for others, but that would put the economic model back pretty much where it was when cable subs got these for free on the overflow channels.

My best guess is that PL well end up referring to reruns of MSNBC/NBC matches and Gold is still a premium add-on, but housed within the Peacock app.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RSNs include games owned by leagues that can't be shown around the country. For example, if you don't live in or near New York and you get YES from DirecTV, the Yankees games (and I'm assuming Nets games) will be blacked out and you need to pay for MLB Extra Innings or MLB.TV to watch the Yankees and I don't know what the name of the NBA package is. If I got every RSN in the country but with MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS games blacked out, there could be NCAA games and maybe other games or shows I would watch, but not much.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/01...ming-service-to-include-premier-league-games/ says NBC Sports Gold will still exist. I haven't watched the shows other than games in a while, and I won't pay for Gold just for the shows if I can get the games through Peacock. I'm hoping that the $5 per month rate with ads will not show ads during soccer. Since I wouldn't use Peacock for anything else, I won't pay $10 per month to avoid ads. World Soccer Talk says the higher Gold cost is $64.99, but I paid $59.99 with a $5 returning customer discount. Paying $5 per month for Peacock is a 1 cent increase, and it could be cheaper considering next season's Gold will probably go up and/or eliminate the $5 discount.

Comcast and Cox subscribers get Peacock with ads for free and can upgrade to Peacock without ads for $5 per month.

6. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll still get Gold because I like the PLP and Sky shows. And it's really not that expensive when you use it consistently 10 months a year.

8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    They do this every year and it annoys me each time even though I happily subscribe for the full season.

There are only 14 PL matchdays remaining. That's ~37% of the season. 37% of $60 (the full-season cost of Gold) = ~$22.

And yet they extend this "special price" that's twice what it should be. The full-season cost is $1.58 per matchday; this "special price" is $3.64 per matchday.

Don't be a sucka!

bigtw64 repped this.
  9. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the DirecTV Sports Pack. You do get all the RSN pre and post game shows, and NHL replays are not blacked out. If you buy a league specific package, the game feed on the local RSN's is clear, so you don't have to go up to the 700 channels to watch.

10. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With the Final being in Colombia I hope Los Cafeteros spoil the Messi party.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    May the best team win.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham hosts Liverpool at 2:45 P.M. on NBCSN which is the game postponed while Liverpool was at the Club World Cup. It's hard to get out of the relegation zone without playing, but if West Ham loses by at least 4 they will fall into the relegation zone on goal differential and Bournemouth will pass them. At the same time, there's a Manchester derby in the EFL Cup, but there's not much suspense as Man City is at home after a 3-1 away win in the first leg. The winner faces Aston Villa in the Final on Sunday March 1. That day is scheduled to have three Premier League games all at 9:00 A.M., but that includes both Manchester clubs so one of those games will be postponed. I didn't see the Final start time, but I'm expecting it to be at 11:30 A.M.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone remember EPL FanZone?

Is this still airing in England?
    Considering NBCSN aired Sky News a few months ago and I assume they still do, who do I have to bribe to get EPL FanZone on in the USA?

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken the only "bribe" you have to pay is to NBC Gold, which is where they've moved virtually all of the ancillary EPL content, most of which used to be on TV.

They have a suite of shows that come from Premier League Productions: Fanzone, PL Today, Weekend Review, PL World, Goals on Sunday, etc, etc.

From what I can tell the only 2 PLP-branded ancillary shows that they've kept on TV are: PL Preview & PL World. Both of which I still watch on my DVR, using liberal fast-forward sometimes.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard what NBCSN is going to do with all of the hours of EPL programming they had for this weekend?

Are they going to do anything live? (I assume not) Are they going to re-run some old EPL content like the Download, Soccerbox, Match of the Week, etc?

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'll answer my own question then! This morning they just did the later... chucked some old EPL content up as filler.

p.s. Man BigSoccer is a ghost town in the last few days. Even without our beloved footy to obsess over, I woulda thought people would still be talking on here. Guess not.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is late notice but I just noticed on my guide, that this morning at 7am NBCSN is rerunning the old Goals of the Season shows for 6 seasons 2011-2016. That's 6hrs worth of fun to put on your DVR!

19. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    bigtw64 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  20. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    bigtw64 repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. But maybe they should consider doing prorated refunds to the people who bought the package this year???

22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    A 2020/21 discount at the very least

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But if a provider previously charged for a subscription period which still has X months left, and then they decide to waive that fee for new customers (presumably temporarily) then don't they have a kind of ethical obligation to credit something back to the paying customers?

I'm sure that people can come up with various counter arguments. But probably the credit I'm talking about is a drop in the bucket to NBC compared to the lost revenue they're about to be dealing with in terms of, for example, the postponement of the Olympics this summer.

Wouldn't customers think really well of NBC if they did this fair, ethical thing? Rather than the potential contrary feelings if they don't?

24. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #1775 portugamerifinn, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    I'm all for any concession they're willing to make.

A quick calculation shows that there's about $14+ of the season remaining (on the full $60 subscription), so a $15 credit in some form would be nice.

But I'll be honest...they could raise the price and offer no refund and I'd still subscribe in a heartbeat because Premier League match coverage in the UK is BS.