NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about school/team spirit. Given the fact that the show doesn't feature your team but 2x per year if you're a good team (and far less if you're FCS), those fans are going to show up. They did South Dakota vs North Dakota last week. They've never been to South Dakota (where the show was) and it's been a couple years since they visited North Dakota. There's some talk they could make a first-time visit to Minnesota coming up. This week is a first-time visit to Memphis as they host SMU, who has come back into national prominence for the first time in decades after a major scandal.

It's also all about the hype for the show and the game itself. People can get to those games hours and hours before, especially if the weather is favorable. When you have up to 120k people in the same area...why not get there early and take it all in? People who get there closer to kickoff risk traffic and parking headaches.

It's choreographed to the point where they have the scripted intro and know what games they're going to talk about and at what times. It's the same with commercial breaks, the public interest features (so-and-so fan with cancer) but a lot of it is off-the-cuff.

If you're a fan of college football, 12 hours on a Saturday can pass by in a blink.

sitruc, Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State. There are separate schools South Dakota and North Dakota.

Kryptonite repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I was even thinking State, but for some reason, it didn't follow through to typing.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that at least for the next two weeks, starting tomorrow (maybe today, for all I knew), NBCSN has an additional hour of Sky Sports News at noon ET.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not seeing that on my DVR guide... still just 1hr. So if anyone can actually confirm if they're actually showing a 2nd hr, I'd like to know.

6. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps my guide is (was?) wrong. It had a two-hr listing for ESPN's coverage of College GameDay this past Saturday, where's ESPNU's listing was correct. My U-Verse app still says two hours. If it updates, it'll be during the early AM on the east coast, as per usual.

Other information I see (nbcsn.com and titantv) both have a one-hr listing.

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe some guide settings were thrown a little out of whack by the time change this week. I see an hour via FIOS

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was exactly my theory

9. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's a time change issue, but my provider has been uploading various incorrect info on occasion. I reported it and hopefully it'll be fixed.

It is sort of crummy that NBCSN puts their own crawl at the bottom, covering up the Sky crawl, but oh well.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious who your provider is.

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You should use zap2it instead...

12. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-Verse.

But, at 12:21pm ET, I am watching Sky Sports News. It was also on during the previous hour.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. On NBCSN?!

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answering my own question: my DVR also recorded two hours of SSN today.

So apparently this is a new thing, at least once in a while.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks permanent to me. At least for every weekday they have on their schedule. Nice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings/full

16. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the two-hou Sky Sports News is permanent from the TV listing schedule.

17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Coming off the international break, there's a proper slate of Saturday 3pm UK kickoffs. This gives NBC one of the four chances to put Liverpool on Gold (and before they discount subscriptions after the holidays :p)

Saturday 11/23 10:00 AM EST

Bournemouth v. Wolves
    NBC Sports Gold

Brighton v. Leicester City
    NBC Sports Gold

Crystal Palace v. Liverpool
    NBC Sports Gold

Everton v Norwich
    NBC Sports Gold

Watford v Burnley
    NBC Sports Gold

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoying the 2 hours of SSN these days, but today has to be the worst 2 hours I have a recorded on my DVR: wall to wall to wall Moaninho.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games start on Saturday at 7:30 A.M. with West Ham vs. Tottenham. The only clubs who haven't won any of their last five games are those and the bottom two, Southampton and Norwich. The televised 10:00 A.M. is Arsenal vs. Southampton. Arsenal is sixth, but with a -1 goal differential, and they should improve that hosting the club who has allowed the most goals. At 12:30 P.M., NBC has a big game with Man City hosting Chelsea. Man City is fourth with 25 points, and Leicester and Chelsea have 26. Man City leads in goal differential at +22, but Leicester is +21 and at 11th place Brighton. When Leicester won their only title in 2015-2016, third place Tottenham had the best goal differential, so I'm assuming Leicester has never had the best goal differential in the top level. There will only be one game on Sunday, when Sheffield United hosts Man United at 11:30 A.M. Sheffield United is fifth with 17, which is 1 more than seventh place Man United, who has struggled away. Liverpool has double the points of Sheffield United. In the six seasons from 2003-2004 through 2008-2009 that had the same top four except for Everton above Liverpool in 2004-2005, the highest points ratio of first to fifth was 1.64 in 2004-2005 when Chelsea had 95 and Liverpool had 58. Aston Villa hosts Newcastle United on Monday at 3:00 P.M.

20. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Ugh, such a hassle to get the Liverpool games that are on Gold. Are people in my shoes really forking over the full $65 or $40(live) for 4 games?

21. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not when they are "other means" available...

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Liverpool fans are known for their "other means"

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Liverpool to Gold again this Saturday. Spurinho-Bournemouth on NBCSN

[​IMG]

bigtw64 repped this.
  24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom two clubs are on NBC against each other, and the top two clubs (by points, not popularity) aren't on TV. Clubs in the Europa League can't play until Sunday, which will have 2 games at 9:00 A.M. and 2 games at 11:30 A.M. At 9:00 A.M., NBCSN will show Norwich vs. Arsenal, with Wolves vs. Sheffield United on Gold. At 11:30 A.M., NBCSN will show Man United vs. Aston Villa, with Leicester vs. Everton on Gold. 6 of the bottom 7 clubs are on TV, and 6 of the top 7 are not on TV. After Man City starts the weekend, the remaining four games on TV don't have a club above eighth place Arsenal. West Ham is tied with Crystal Palace for the worst Form with 1 point from their last 5 games. West Ham is seventh with 13. The relegation zone has Norwich with 10, Southampton with 9, and Watford with 8. Clubs in eleventh through eighteenth all play clubs in the top half, so Southampton and Watford have an opportunity to move up. The only games between clubs in the same half are Southampton vs. Watford and fifth place Wolves vs. sixth place Sheffield United. When the fixtures came out, people wouldn't have expected the latter to be the only top half game this week when games include Chelsea vs. West Ham and Leicester vs. Everton.

25. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    The overflow games to CNBC seem to happen like they're throwing darts at a calendar before the season.

NBC still the gold standard for coverage, but feeling increasingly trapped that they're in the Comcast family and will seemingly never go fully over the top with all games on a streaming service as I'm only forced to stay on "cable" for this and one local sports team.