NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. They showed it on GoalZone so i'm sure it should be findable on the Internet.

2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They even got the hastag #boycottgold going lol.

I think it's just the normal "well this was free for years on overflow channels and now u are making us pay"

I think another gripe is when they throw a bigger team on there.

And I get it.

I mean I'm not gonna pay whatever amount it is now to watch a couple of Arsenal games on gold lol.

My gripe with it is the lack of content. I'm into so many other sports so to me, ESPN+ is a way better deal.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

4. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    QPR Kev posted the schedule, but those are the assignments.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ss-nbcuniversal-this-sun-may-12-at-10-a-m-et/

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southampton vs. Huddersfield will not be on TV. Crystal Palace vs. Bournemouth will be on NBC Sports regional networks, but the New York channel owned by NBC is SNY and they don't have it listed. Does anybody know what national channels had games last year but not this year? All the games can be watched online with paying for Gold.

There's not match to be decided other than the title. Chelsea is third and 1 point ahead of Tottenham, but with the top four starting in the Champions League Group Stage, there isn't much difference between third and fourth. Arsenal needs a win, a Tottenham loss, and to make up 8 goal differential to pass Tottenham for fourth. Arsenal is 1 point ahead of Man United. If Man City wins the FA Cup, Arsenal and Man United start in the Europa League Group Stage, and Wolverhampton (who is seventh and can't go up or down) starts in Qualifying Round 2. If Watford wins the FA Cup, they and the better of Arsenal and Man United will start in the Group Stage, the worse of Arsenal and Man United will start in Qualifying Round 2, and Wolverhampton won't qualify. Wolverhampton and the relegated clubs are the four clubs who can't go up or down.

NBC Sports' survey asked what else you subscribe to, and included MLS Live, which no longer exists.

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Took the Gold survey the other day. I already had a more positive view of Gold/PL Pass than most and moving to the UK has only bolstered my belief that it's actually a good deal for many.

I literally just bought a month pass of Sky Sports (all 11 channels) today through Now TV (a streaming app), which is really the only way to get the channels w/o having a Sky or BT TV package. It'll allow me to watch the Championship playoffs (have West Brom-Aston Villa on now), Liverpool/Man City matches tomorrow, UEFA Nations League Finals, and NBA Playoffs (kind of, it's only live access with no DVR options, so it'll be live games in the middle of the night or the occasional replay).

The cost for one month of Sky Sports? £33.99 (or $44). Could you imagine paying that for one month of the ESPN TV channels a la carte? I paid ~$50/mo. for YouTube TV, ESPN+ and Gold together.

Anyway, my primary suggestions while taking the survey were: add team and/or daily/monthly subscriptions, allow viewers to start live matches from the beginning (rather than force them to either wait the match out or bite the bullet and tune in late), and improve the picture.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not much of a Premiere League fan other than watching Colombian and USA players play at their clubs.

The only thing I can think of that would inspire me to pony up the money for Gold is if they offered the matches in 4K on Amazon Fire TV.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about subscriptions by club is that clubs are on Gold unequal amounts of times. Even two clubs that aren't popular could have a big difference if one club has more games that are the only game at that time. Should 12 games of Southampton cost 20 percent more than 10 games of West Ham? It would be possible, but the pricing would be complicated. That's a hypothetical, not the actual amount of games each club was on Gold.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. it would be more likely they go the B/R route and create a pay-per-match option rather than a follow your team option.

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm pretty positive about Gold. I find the $50 to be worth it when you get daily content + matches for 10 months. The Gold streaming site is reliable in browsers. I wouldn't downgrade to a club or a la carte option because I like having all the content during the week and weekends.

My small gripes are that I would like for the Gold browser player to be responsive, for PL daily content to keep going in a constant feed (like a channel) and for programs to be a little easier to find on the site.

TJNash repped this.
  11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That's true, a team pass doesn't really make sense considering the matches-per-club disparity and the fact the weekly TV schedule isn't determined preseason. That said, the disparity already exists with the current model. As a Wolves fan, I got ~20 matches while a Man City fan got ~four - we each paid $50.

A match or day/week/month pass makes more sense, but they could hypothetically offer something like a $30 team pass. That's a more palatable price for like four Arsenal matches, but would likely cut down on the number of people buying the full subscription. I would guess I only really watched a handful of non-Wolves matches on Gold and often the review show, so I'd be one of those into a team pass if it existed.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the suggestions I gave them was about making their pricing (more) reasonable, and allowing monthly subscription a la ESPN+

I won't bore you with all the other suggestions. ;)

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1488 NorthBank, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    One thing I just picked up on (not that it's a big surprise) is that this looks like it may be the first year they don't broadcast an EPL Season Review show on NBCSN*. This is one of the many things I've traditionally saved onto DVD for posterity.

For those of us who've tended to do stuff like that for decades, it's sad how so much of the content has shifted to digital, where this options of time-shifted viewing and of making long-lasting personal copies of shows/games is just not an option.

*The weekly PLP email from NBC says that 18-19 Season Review show will be shown online this Friday at 8pm. Not sure if or how long it might be available to view on-demand, afterwards.

Edit: Actually I think I'm wrong. This is not the first year they stopped airing this show on TV. I'm confusing it with the Arsenal Review Show which aired last year on GolTV. I think NBC may have nixed the EPL Review Show already least year if not earlier. So Kev et al will tell me "you should be used to this loss already!!!!"

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of surprised the NBCSN isn't doing their own season wrap-up show. But I guess when the live content is gone, they're done. Rebecca and the guys deserve a vacation.

Don't 100% hold me to this, but I feel like the Premier League Productions Season Review stays up on the Gold site for awhile. Even up to the August changeover to the new season. If I'm remembering last Summer correctly.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be right. I just wish someone could give me a good explanation of why these old shows "expire" at all. Surely it doesn't take that much effort or money to be legally able to offer old review shows indefinitely online.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's not NBC's content, it's owned by Premier League Productions, available to license owning networks for a certain amount of time (a month, a season, etc) not forever. I think you need to make a friend at IMG or PLP that can help you with answers and maybe slide you some DVDs on the DL :)

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you cite evidence of this? i.e. that PLP by default disallows showing old shows after X months/years? It's curious because NBC does regularly show "classic" matches from years past. And on top of that, everything's negotiable between NBC & PLP, I would to assume.

Edit: IOW, my gut still says that if NBC really wanted to offer longer expiration dates, they could make it happen. But I'll admit that the key word here is "wanted" and unless they hear from viewers, they will no doubt take the path of least resistance/cost.

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Classic matches and content are made available to NBC by PLP.

I posted a message with a lot of this info awhile back. Not sure where it is but you can dig back.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. That's what I was saying too. Doesn't is seem a little odd that they could show a classic match from years ago, but not show last year's Review Show(s)?

20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There's levels to how this content works, I'm sure. Stuff like Premier League World, Goals of the Season, some classic matches I guess are allowed to hang around as filler content where more specific week by week live/highlight content has to go away. Seriously you should talk to some PLP/IMG people :)

IMG/Premier League Productions Studios
    Stockley Park, 5 Longwalk Rd, Hayes, Uxbridge UB11 1FE, UK
    https://www.img-studios.com/
    +44 20 3314 5000

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I'll ring em right up. ;)

In the meantime, if you ever come across some real evidence of the contract, specifically about how long NBC is allowed to air shows, I'd be all ears.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Here's what I found for you earlier in the year

NBC Sports Networks thread

Interesting note in that IMG content: "*No current season footage is available to licence until 1st June (UK) & 31st July (WW)."

So there's evidence that footage goes back to the Premier League after a season. As for week/month restrictions, I have always thought that was down to the limited license for main holders and opening video rights up to other holders (like YES here in the US for City stuff).

Even the BBC removes archived MOTD shows (I believe after 6 days)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007t9y1/broadcasts/2019/05

That's all I have for you. This is your obsession, so I again recommend you inquire with the experts at NBC, IMG, PLP. Maybe take a course on intellectual property and global broadcasting rights law?

TJNash, Redbullsnation2012 and IU Gooner repped this.
  23. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I'm probably one of the 4 other people in the country(2 of the other 3 in this thread) interested by this, but I do wonder what benefit that is? Like how are they monetizing that? Maybe licensed back to clubs for MUTV, LFCTV, etc? Doesn't seem like it, but it's mildly annoying that rights holders seem to just sit on stuff.

They showed some footage of the Istanbul final during the CL Semis and I realized I had never seen that in HD before and I had been watching grainy highlights for the last 14 years. Would be nice if you are dropping all of this money on season passes and could have access to classics in high quality.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This!

And don't let people convince you that there are only 4 of us in the country who'd like to have long-lasting access to quality content! ;) Especially if we're currently paying our local "distributor" a monthly/annual fee for similar content for the current week/month/season.

And to @QPR Kevin H, I doubt that me taking an IP class would help a ton. Certainly not be very cost-effective. Contracts can most likely be written any way the parties want to. Emphasis on the word "want".

My "obsession" as you state it could be defined as this: Now that we finally have the technology and infrastructure to deliver "Information at Your Fingertips" which Bill Gates opined about in the early 1990's, the goal should be to provide long-lasting (why not indefinite?!) access to old/archived content.

The streaming Sports providers seem to be behind the streaming TV/Movie providers in this regard.

25. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Have you not seen what Disney does with their movies? In the past with limited release hard copies for sale and now pushing/pulling movies from streaming platforms. Yes they were ahead of sports providers in that they managed the distribution of their product. Though the NFL (NFL Films) were masters of that too and it played a big part in the league's rise.

And Netflix comings and going are such a big deal that they're clickbait feeder
    https://www.google.com/search?q=com...2j69i57j0l3.5272j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The fact that a program is streamed, televised or sold via hard copy doesn't change the fact that rights to the product are retained by the owner for distribution as they determine. The Premier League owns the content, rights holders, err *hold* it for an agreed to amount of time.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.