NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1451 NorthBank, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Been streaming the ManUtd-WestHam match live on my laptop.

The whole time the audio has been crap, tons of drops and buzzing (like Darth Vadar's voice). The video in first half was OK but not great, but at HT it went to crap too, freezes & drops all over. Their signal strength icon shows me generally at current=5.17, max=5.17 to 7.0.

This is a lot worse than I typically used to get, but I'm not in the habit of streaming the late Saturday match, nor when ManUtd are playing. Anyone else having similarly poor results with this match?

Edit: I'm not even complaining about the fact that their stream is a full 50 seconds behind my TV. ;)

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The 3pm Saturday kickoff TV ban is a great thing and certainly does help get ticket buyers to the 72 non-Prem League clubs (and more below). With the wealth gap widening more and more each season, it would be a terrible shame if it ever went away. The only downside IMO is that it does cause more matches to be shifted to Fri/late-early Sat/Sun/Mon, which is crap for Premier League fans who travel to matches.

The TV license is brilliant too because it helps keep the BBB properly public and powerful. Unlike watered down public media in the US.

3. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'd have to use VPN for NBC streaming outside the US

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So NBC blocks streaming (regular or Gold) from outside the USA? You sure about that? I feel like I used in in the Caribbean once.

5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Regular means you would have to have a participating US cable/sat account, which is unlikely for an overseas resident. For blocking streams outside of the country, I would imagine that's the case because its technically a violation of the rights deal with that country's partner (Sky, BT and the BBC in this case).

Add: checked with NBC:
    https://www.nbcsports.com/FAQ
    Q: Can we watch video on NBCSports.com/Live outside of the United States?

A: Due to broadcasting regulations, NBC is only allowed to show NBC Sports content on the internet in the United States and U.S. Territories. Users outside of these locations will still be able to access an extensive set of non-event video content on NBCSports.com.

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That's not correct. Sky Sports channels are on Sky TV packages and BT Sport channels are on BT TV packages. Until later this year when you can add BT Sport channels to your Sky TV package there's no true crossover between the two on any one TV package/subscription.

The only options available now are being a BT TV subscriber who uses Now TV to purchase pricey day/week/month streaming subscriptions to Sky Sports, or to subscribe to BT/Sky TV and then get your mobile/broadband service from the other so you can get access to mobile versions of BT or Sky Sports. Because I don't subscribe to BT TV, broadband or mobile, there is literally no way for me to watch BT Sport channels as of now.

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first one is something many people here know. There are occasionally topics here about how Sky and BT buy packages. For the second one, is the license something you have to pay once total, once a month, or some other frequency?

I would think people would have seen that right at the start of games, it says on the screen:

"This match is only authorized for viewing in the United States."

I may not have the quote memorized, but it's close enough.

8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The TV license is annual, I believe. Ultimately, it won't impact me once I've settled and chosen a live TV package since it will come with the freeview channels (BBC, Channel 4, ITV channels, etc.). Also, there are very few live sports on these channels anyway. Unlike CBS, NBC, Fox and ABC in the U.S., you rarely see sports on BBC, etc. I watched the Man City FA Cup Semifinal on BBC One and have caught a bit of a Women's FA Cup SF and a rugby match on free TV. But it's slim pickings and the freeview TV license is only really necessary if you eschew a TV package from Sky, BT and the like.

NBC Sports and Gold have worked just fine with my existing subscriptions (the former accessible via my YouTube TV credentials) and a VPN. In fact, I have a leg up on folks with UK TV since I can watch those mid-afternoon matches that way. However, YouTube TV wasn't really working for my local networks and regional sports channels because of location services (even with VPN and me tweaking various GPS settings on different hardware/software), plus the price went up to $50/mo. because they added a bunch of BS reality TV channels so I canceled. I'll likely subscribe to one of the U.S. streaming services again in the fall for football, etc. It isn't very useful over the summer especially if I can't access my local baseball team via the regional network. YTTV worked just well enough for the NCAA Tourmament.

It looks like there are a couple more options for getting Sky Sports and BT Sport together, but they are fairly convoluted, expensive and/or available only in certain areas. And none are streaming services like the wealth of those now available in the U.S. And, naturally, there has been a crackdown on Reddit streams, etc. very recently, so I simply could not get a stream of the Benfica-Eintracht Frankfurt match to work the other night.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of unfortunate that an attractive Newcastle-Liverpool match is set for 2:45 this Saturday, when Derby coverage starts on NBC. While a not-so-attractive Cardiff-Palace match kicks off at 12:30.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by "Derby coverage starts on NBC"?

11. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He means the kentucky derby as if the Premier League would consider the American sports schedule when making fixture changes. And I use the term sport very loosely when I refer to a horse running around in a circle.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh duh!!!

I'm so damn english footy focused I thought he was talking about Derby County! But NBC having no rights to EFL, I was puzzled. Apparently my brain is showing its age. LOL.

13. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Kentucky Derby coverage always amuses me, it's 5+ hours of coverage for a 2-3 minute race.

By the ratio of pregame:game, it makes the Super Bowl pregame look concise and to the point.

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Haha, yeah I should have been more specific!

Derby County's big match is on ESPN+ early Sunday

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well the nice thing about a big horse race is that there's like 10 not quite as big races before it :).

NBC has been scheduling their Derby Saturday like this for awhile, so I'm guessing people tune in as they warm up at parties as they pay attention to horse racing for their 1 to 3 days per year.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems like forever ago when Sky Sports News left FSC.

It's a sight for sore eyes on NBCSN.

NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see your point, but it's also the party with the hats and all that. There's a plethora of races all day long, but most of that could easily be NBCSN. I'd imagine it's NBC for ratings/cost/lack of other programming.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They have Bobby Flay grilling up some food and making mint julep cocktails.

They have ex figure skaters talking about the fashion and hats.

They have some comedian guy going up into one of the main twin spire towers and taking selfies.

Former Hockey star Eddie Olczyk talking about how he loves horses and promoting the NHL playoffs on NBC..

They have Costas, I mean. now Tirico talking about how some little dude ran away from some Latin American county's persecution only to become the best jockey in his family.

Etc. Etc. Etc,

Much like their Olympic coverage it is more a cultural event than a sporting event. Focusing on all the subplots and human interest stories instead of the actual race at times.

And boy to they milk it for all its worth to try to make it intriguing for all ages. sexes and demographics.

bigtw64 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Hey, it's all well and good for those who enjoy it. It's not like it's keeping NBC from showing something else worth watching.

I'm a watch-the-actual-event guy rather than a watch-people-talking-about-the-event guy but that's just me.

bigtw64 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a restaurant. A woman asked how long the race lasted and guessed 10 minutes. Horse racing is reliant on three days per year that are just for that sport. Even among people who have only watched Michael Phelps or Lindsey Vonn in the Olympics, that's part of an event with many sports. Furthermore, I don't know how many horses have a chance to be invited a year or six months before the Kentucky Derby. People don't hear the horse names until a couple of weeks before the race, and the same horses don't compete for multiple years. Even people who never watched Phelps or Vonn between Olympics X and Olympics Y four years later will know their names when Olympics Y starts.

One of my co-workers says it's hard for her to get in and out of her house one day a year because she lives near the Belmont Stakes.

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR Kevin H repped this.
  23. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's funny whenever NBC posts something about NBC Gold on their Facebook.....the comments........man oh man. People are still pissed about it lol

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't do FB. Are there common themes to their gripes? And are they rational?

25. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Have they announced assignments and networks for the weekend?