NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know why Sunday's games overlap at 10:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M.?

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I would guess because Man City play league cup on Thursday, they are getting an extra day of rest and play on Sunday (similar to Europa League teams), and because their game is not scheduled for tv in UK, it does not matter when they play. Looking at start times, it looks like Chelsea-CP will be on tv in UK, but NBCSN picked Man City game because they can televise either of them in the US.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bizarre. No good reason I can see for this. Wondering if it's ever happened in the EPL.

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1254 QPR Kevin H, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Everything was thrown out of whack by Spurs and Wembley. Spurs-City was supposed to be a Sunday afternoon Sky match at New White Hart Lane but the delays pushed it over to Wembley which could not be used Sunday due to the NFL games. Then City's LC match was pushed to Thursday which pushed their non-televised weekend match to Sunday. Since the PL Southampton match was not selected for live TV, I'm assuming City can set the kickoff time themselves and 2pm worked on their end. Maybe they were prevented from an earlier afternoon kickoff due to Wigan and Leeds playing on Sky/not too far away, not sure.

Edit: it's a 3pm Sunday kickoff, forgot the time changes align this weekend. Here's City's explanation -- https://www.mancity.com/news/first-...018/october/man-city-fixture-changes-november

5. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Feel like this happens every year on a few Sundays, but we usually don't notice as much because there is typically an 8:30 ET game.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some days when there were games at 8:30, 10:00, and 11:00 back when Fox had the games, but they stopped that. On November 26, 2017, there were games at 8:30, 9:00, and 11:00. The 8:30 and 9:00 games were the only overlapping Sunday games in 2017-2018. I am not counting two games at the same time as overlapping. I'm only counting games that started during another game.

The 3:45 P.M. game tomorrow will be on CNBC. On Sunday, Chelsea vs. Crystal Palace will be joined in progress after Southampton vs. Manchester City, so Chelsea fans who don't have Gold can watch the second half. When the game ends at 1:00 P.M., NASCAR coverage starts. There won't be a Goal Zone, but I'm assuming they will do Goal Zone online.

7. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    The question should not be so much as why the overlapping start times, as why NBC did not put one of the games on CNBC, so that both matches could be shown in their entirety.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't focused closely on the schedule this weekend, but the trend/priority at NBC seems to be to use the Gold/paywall for dealing with overlapping conflicts, rather than to use more of their broadcast channels. Whether we like it or not, this is their future, our future.

Redbullsnation2012 and bigtw64 repped this.
  9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah it was kind of a whacky weekend for NBC Prem coverage. City-Southampton was probably going to be the Sat 11am NBCSN match but it was moved to Sunday. The Leicester tragedy then bumped the match at Cardiff up to NBCSN. Standard NBC network slot an hour later. Then the new Saturday late match was an odd fit with Breeders Cup and motorsports on NBC/NBCSN so they put it where it would fit. And on Sunday NBCSN decided they'd rather show City than Chelsea-Palace. So in the end, Cardiff-Leicester was promoted from Gold and Chelsea-Palace pushed to Gold, same weekend totals on TV and Gold.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but what about the previous question: why didn't NBC just put the entirety Chelsea match on CNBC? I guess you'll tell me that those CNBC infomercials for carpet cleaners, etc were just more important to NBC's business plan than acting as an EPL spillover channel. :(

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was not built in to the schedule to have a match on CNBC today. Because City were meant to play Saturday. NBC probably didn’t want two matches on CNBC over one weekend. And yeah, NBC probably wants to keep a 6 TV, 4 Gold weekend schedule, which would have been the case had City remained on Saturday

12. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The schedule change was a god-send for NBC. Why? Because they promised that each team in the EPL will be featured at least 3 times on the "Gold" service. This was a good opportunity for them to put Chelsea there. It's part of keeping a balance to their TV/streaming programming and it must be a headache to choose when to send one of the top clubs to the Gold service. Especially when you consider that it's becoming somewhat rarer to see the big clubs scheduled at 15:00 local on Saturdays. This gave NBC an opportunity to at least put another 'notch" next to Chelsea's name.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this season they upped it to a guaranteed four games on Gold for each team.

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I kinda knew this already... not seeing Arsenal showing up on my dvr's recording list.

I feel like we've been on Gold 3 times already this season. Did NBC say each team would be "at least" 4 or "at most" 4??

HomietheClown repped this.
  16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    At least 4. Huddersfield and Brighton might end up with about 30 Gold fixtures!

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. Duh! My bad for asking.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Arsenal may just happen to be the sacrificial lamb here.
    They are not the most popular team although they are more popular than most clubs here in the USA.
    And out of the teams in the upper echelon of the table they seem to be a victim of their own self-inflicted wounds every year and reputation.

Nobody believes they will find a way to finish at the top so might as well use the following they do have to sell some subscriptions.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And, in my opinion at least, one of NBC's goals in setting up Gold was to lower the risk of cannibalising audiences for their biggest matches on their main channel (NBCSN). They want as many eyeballs as possible on Man City-Man Utd on Sunday. Putting Arsenal on CNBC might push some casual Arsenal watchers over there which would hurt NBCSN's audience while not really being worth using CNBC.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. But wait a minute! If you mean winning the league then yes very few imagine us beating Citeh to that. But if you mean finishing within the top 3 or 4... there are quite a few of us that still have some hope for that.

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hope springs eternal.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  22. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Arsenal can definitely finish in the top 4 lol

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1273 EvanJ, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    30 in an exaggeration, especially for Brighton. Assuming that they were on TV and will be on TV any time they are the only game, here is when they have been on TV without checking if they were on Saturday at 10:00 A.M.

Huddersfield:
    1. Game 2 at Manchester City on Sunday at 8:30 A.M. (there were two games at that time but I'm sure Manchester City was shown over Burnley vs. Watford)
    2. Game 9 hosting Liverpool on Saturday at 12:30 P.M.
    3. Game 11 hosting Fulham on Monday at 3:00 P.M.
    4. Game 13 at Wolverhampton on Sunday at 11:00 A.M.
    5. Game 23 hosting Manchester City on Sunday at 8:30 A.M.

Brighton:
    1. Game 2 hosting Manchester United on Sunday at 11:00 A.M.
    2. Game 3 at Liverpool on Saturday at 12:30 P.M.
    3. Game 5 at Southampton on Monday at 3:00 P.M.
    4. Game 6 hosting Tottenham on Saturday at 12:30 P.M.
    5. Game 8 hosting West Ham on Friday at 3:00 P.M.
    6. Game 12 at Cardiff on Saturday at 7:30 A.M.
    7. Game 19 hosting Arsenal on Wednesday at 12:15 P.M. (Boxing Day)

That goes through Game 24. For the last 14 games, the times within the weekend have not been determined.

CNBC has paid advertisements during the whole length of the two games at the same time on Sunday.

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I thought someone might fact check that :laugh:

To NBC, it doesn't matter if CNBC is available, it's whether or not they want to show the match on Gold and emphasize the biggest match of the weekend on their main channel.

800k viewers on NBCSN is better than 600k viewers on NBCSN + 200k viewers on CNBC

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since my team is on Gold today, I figured I shouldn't take a chance of missing any action, by logging into Gold early on my computer.

Good thing because I spent a good 3-5 mins trying to login and stream something on Edge. It would log me in PL (and display my name at top right) but then when I went to watch some Gold content it just would come up with an endless loop of the login/subscribe screen.

So I switched to Chrome and it worked much more smoothly. Not sure why, but don't really have time to figure it out. But just an example of how streaming comes with inherent balky functionality.

OK, fine, that's nothing new. But here's another thing. When I was trying to find some Gold-only content to stream I ended up choosing "Match Pack" but that was only after I wasted more minutes trying to find my favorite old "PL Review" show. I couldn't find a single one in the past month! What's up with that?!

Maybe @QPR Kevin H can put me straight on this one, since he's been trying to convince me for a few years now that their removal of that show from broadcast TV doesn't really hamper me much. ;)

<end of gripe session>