NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think more people want to start live than from the beginning. One possibility would be to make two links, one for the start and one for live. By adding "&t=_s" to a YouTube video, it can start from _ seconds in. Maybe the same thing could be applied to live games, but it would be more work for NBC.

2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    From what I can tell, you can only join a broadcast live, which makes sense from a technical POV considering you can’t rewind, pause or fast-forward live streams via NBC Sports. I don’t know why those capabilities haven’t been implemented, but the easiest workaround is to simply wait a bit until the match ends and watch the replay (rewind, pause and fast-forward included).

Fortunately, the Roku version of the app doesn’t show scores of completed matches. I’d be so annoyed if it did (I think it used to). As it is, about half the time I’m watching a Premier League match I don’t want to see the live score updates within the game broadcast either, but there they are.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to find the setting that suppresses the scores at top.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night they aired Match of the Week. Well sort of. They showed the first half, and the halftime show and that was it! Classic Soul Ballads just absolutely had to start on time! And so it did.

MOTW had started late because of NASCAR programming which was 1hr late and included a 60min show on the history of Darlington Raceway.

So my conclusion to all of this is that sadly EPL content is just not as important to NBC as some of us would like it to be. In this case it took a backseat to a documentary and an infomercial.

Not the first time. Nor the last time I suspect.

Shen-O and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    MOTW is filler that is less important than paid programming. The only EPL content pieces that matters to NBC from a broadcast perspective are the live matches, which bring in ~50x the audience as replayed matches.

My advice is to give up on MOTW and MOTD. You have Gold, watch the cherished Premier League Review. I do! :)

TJNash repped this.
  6. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    You’d be surprised how many people are watching these 3am informercials. Lots of insomniacs channel surfing.

NBC gets paid for these so of course they will prefer airing that to match replay/highlight show that gets practically no viewership.

7. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Even when they aired the Review show, it regularly used to get delayed by NHL games or postgame going extra, so you end up with half the show on dvr. It was very frustrating. Of course it had bad ratings because you could never reliably count on seeing it.

8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Now the Review Show hits Gold around 7pm every Sunday. Bam, Bob's your uncle.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I recall you stating this mantra many times before, and my post acknowledged this harsh reality. But still it seems stupid for a channel devoted to sports to market and produce a show like MOTW or MOTD and then let it be co-opted by a music infomercial! And I'm curious how you come by your 50x number... does NBC publish ratings for specific infomercials at specific time slots?

The other thing I was lamenting is that they chose to run the entire Nascar documentary on Darlington. Is that paid programming too?? Is Nascar paying NBC to run that, just like the Classic Soul Music company does?

Yes. But watching TV on my TV/DVR is still a whole lot easier/better than watching it on my laptop, or with an HDMI cable (I even tried Roku & Chromecast but they both cut off a ton of screen real-estate around the edges of my 9YO TV so I bagged them until I someday buy a new TV).

That's true, and I'm a veteran of DVR'g (and sometimes missing) EPL shows after NHL overtimes. In those cases, if you missed the 2nd half of the EPL show it was because you didn't add enough time onto your recording... and not because NBC decided to truncate the show half-way in, which is what they did on Monday.

I know, I know, I'm just kvetching again. I guess there's a little part of me that hopes some NBC producer follows this thread and that my comments might someday induce them to improve the "reliability" of their schedule. ;)

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Production for MOTD and MOTW now consists of a pre-recorded welcome from Rebecca and some rudimentary editing, nothing else. It's quick work for filler programming.

The 50x number is repeat match/late night highlights (~10k viewers) vs a live match in the morning (~500k viewers). That's why the hierarchy is 1. live games/events 2. infomercials (which pay for the right to be shown) 3. repeats/highlights. You can more about category 3 than NBC because NBC only loses money from category 3 programming.

I too am surprised that they still bother with MOTD and MOTW, the likely option is just killing off them all together. Maybe they licensed the MOTD name for x years and they want to use it for something? Who knows - it's something that is cared about more by you than anyone at NBC.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I thought your 50X number was comparing MOTW rating to infomercial ratings. So are infomercial ratings published? Or maybe not because they are 100% income from one company who pays for that 1hr slot? (Perhaps I'm learning the TV money business ;))

And I'm still curious about that Darlington documentary... why is that more beneficial to NBC than an EPL replay? Is it simply that the NASCAR audience is just way bigger in general, compared to the EPL audience?

I don't care much at all about MOTW... I was just commenting (as you are) on the pecking order. MOTD I care a little more about but still not a ton. But if I was a sports network/channel executive, I would take pride in showing my sports content intact, and as advertised, rather than truncating them for an infomercial. But I guess then my boss would tell me to do otherwise! :cry:

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You can dig up infomercial ratings, yeah. On NBCSN they can be around 10k, 20k, 30k ish. MOTD used to be around that range, maybe a tad higher on occasion.

The NASCAR thing, I guess it was planned to run after the event so they kept it there. Probably didn't matter too much but neither does MOTW so they didn't bother changing it.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean? You can open a stream and go back. You can click along the line to pick how far in you want to go to or click on an event (goals, cards, and injuries) to be taken to it.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Through the Roku app, you can only join a live game where it's at (as opposed to starting a match at the beginning if it hasn't yet finished) and can't rewind, pause or fast-forward. If watching a completed game/show on replay, then one can move around freely as you indicate. I'm not sure if it's different on a computer, etc.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm using a computer.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday September 15, NBC will go from Watford vs. Manchester United at 12:30 P.M. to Notre Dame at 2:30 P.M. without Goal Zone.

17. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meh, I usually just wait for BBC MOTD anyways...

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious How you watch that? VPN?

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good to see CNBC back in the mix. Maybe their policy is 3 Gold matches per 10am ET kickoff time

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be some pretty damn low rating on Sunday I suspect. :p

23. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    They'll be low everywhere. Juve and Roma are only notable teams in Europe that play on Sunday.

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ha, yeah probably.

Though prediction time: bigger audience Sunday -- Everton v West Ham on NBCSN at 11 or DC United-RBNY on ESPN at 1?

25. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    PL definitely because NFL starts at 1.

QPR Kevin H repped this.