NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same problem. Just logged out and then back in and it was resolved.

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1152 QPR Kevin H, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    It was on at 11am ET today - NBCSN. Coincided with the last hour of the British window. (add: it's archived on NBC's site if you want to watch https://www.nbcsports.com/gold#full-event-replays)

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  3. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't see Goal Rush on the NBCSN stream schedule. Hope it pops up again this season - decent way to keep up with things in the background on a busy Saturday morning.

https://www.nbcsports.com/live

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow there is an 85 minute Premier League Live starting at 1:30 P.M. NASCAR coverage starts at 5:00 P.M., with no Goal Zone after Manchester United vs. Leicester City, although they might show Goal Zone online.

5. MisterB1968

MisterB1968 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    New Castle, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been added to the gold package, I guess they realized it was a workaround for when some of the bigger teams were on at 10am and people didn't need gold to actually watch them.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha. I had assumed deadline would be midnight UK time, like most if the other deadlines I can remember.

I guess I'll just have to check it out via websites, which is more efficient anyway!

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the first game, NBCSN made mistakes. The bottom line said about Arsenal (I underlined the mistake):

"Finished in 7th place last season and qualified for the Europa League (best Premier League finish in club history)
    Finished outside the top-4 in each of the past 2 seasons after finishing on the top-4 in each of the previous 20 seasons"

They had technical difficulties so you couldn't hear some of what Rebecca said to Neil Ashton.

8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With regard to the first sentence, they got Burnley and Arsenal mixed up. Arsenal finished sixth. And the sixth placed finish isn’t their worst in the premier league era. They finished 12th in 94-95 (sorry if that’s a spoiler).

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Watching Fulham-Crystal Palace on Gold and enjoying it. I’m not sure if it’s a new feature, but there’s a “mosaic” option with all the live Gold matches showing at once (three matches at the moment), which is good when you don’t have a heart on for a specific match, all are kicking off, or more than one is coming down to the final whistle.

I’ve got Rokus and it’d be nice if the Gold app allowed you to sign in with both your TV provider login and Gold login so you don’t have to switch apps to watch the game(s) showing on NBC’s TV channels. ESPN’s app has two login options so you can access everything in one place. I don’t understand why NBC Sports has a separate Gold app.

10. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    This is my first experience with Gold, and I think the video quality is horrible. I'm watching on a Roku with 180Mbps download speed. Video frame rate is terrible...ESPN+ video looks so much better than NBC.

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    ESPN is more crisp during the action, but it has been live streaming for more than a decade and Disney spent billions on digital media company BAMTech a couple years ago for a reason. I don’t have an issue with NBC’s quality, though.

Maybe I’m too easily satisfied because I vividly remember resorting to Real Audio streams on dial-up service for this kind of stuff.

12. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    That's because NBC is owned by a cable company. Their business goal is to prevent cord cutting.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. Real Macao

Real Macao Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Looks like ESPN+ will get FA Cup instead of NBC. It's interesting that NBC hasn't seemed to have bid aggressively for other soccer properties since it has started to show the Premier League. I guess they figure they should invest their funds behind Premier League rather than buying a bunch of other stuff.

14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    NBC does not need the FA cup, which overlaps with premier league anyway, except maybe for 3 weekends. And even on those weekends, you are lucky if there is one good game. Add to it that big teams are playing their B teams, and it's easy why NBC does not need it or want it.

15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Good point. I guess the Premier League is one more thing Comcast can hitch its wagon to in the hope of keeping TV subscribers. It's an expensive, unproven wagon, though.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My childhood friend randomly asked me how he could "watch European football" and if you're not tied to any specific teams, it occurred to my that between $18 per month for Fubo Latino and (optionally) $5 per month for ESPN+, you have A LOT of football to watch. Pretty much everything is covered except Premier League and if you're not tied to specific games, even that can be satiated with an antenna with the games they shown on NBC and Telemundo. So stuck in the weeds on this board that didn't really think about how much you could get for so little. (Wouldn't work for me, because I am stuck with many specific teams.)

So is the only more or less major property (relatively speaking of course) which isn't now settled Coppa Italia? Looking back just a year when you couldn't watch Boca or River, many Ligue 1/Serie A games were unavailable or available only live on BeIN connect (when it worked), no Eredivisie, etc, it looks like we're in a very good place right now, relatively speaking. I don't know if this is the right thread, but what's on people's wish list? Russian used to be on NGSN. Portuguese could use a better platform, given that GolTV plays many games on delay when there are conflicts with other properties and puts only Uruguayan games on "Play" in the USA. I feel we could get more Brazilian games given that GolTV shows only two or three per week (PFC being expensive and only SD) -- in contrast every Chilean and Argentine league game is available live and on demand on Fanatiz.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ponied up $50 for the season of PLP. Then I figured I'd get my money's worth and I watched their "Big Match Preview".

Man I wish they would have used last year's subscription income to improve the interface of their player a bit.

In particular, it's badly needing a fast-forward/rewind mechanism. One of my other streaming apps has something like "30s ->" (fwd) and "<- 15s" (back) which I find to work pretty well.

Also some other streaming apps show the battery gauge from within the app, which is quite useful.

NBC, you listening? Yeah I wish.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Every time I'm watching a live match via Gold I hit the rewind button on my remote at least a couple times throughout the match only to be reminded I don't have that option. It can't be that hard/expensive, right?

NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    About five minutes into the West Ham-Wolves match, the feed on the NBC Sports Gold app switched to the Brighton & Hove-Fulham match for five minutes or so. Had to watch the mosaic feed showing all four matches on one screen and with no sound (I guess they think four matches is too many for commentary from one, but three wasn’t when I watched mosaic a little in week one).

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Have to say, a very good 4th (Spurs) v 5th (Watford) on pay streaming only isn't the coolest look for NBC.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1173 NorthBank, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Also during the HT show of Burnley-ManUtd, they did not show any highlights of Watford-Spurs, nor even mention the score from what I saw. Very odd. And unlike NBC.

P.s. At full-time NBC could have switched over to Vicarage Road where there was quite a bit of excitement going on, but they chose not to. Also odd... unlike NBC.

P.p.s. +1 for Robbie Earle who explained (admitted) on GoalZone what went on: NBCSN was supposed to broadcast Watford-Spurs but because fo thew Mourinho/Woodward turmoil, they switched to ManU... and stuck with that story 100%, at the expense of those stable London clubs. ;)

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went on Gold today to watch Watford-Spurs. It was 2T but I planned to watch from 1'.

No such luck. It started me at current/live time, right after 1st goal was scored.

1. Is no way to start a match from beginning, when it's in progress? (Without it plunking you in the middle, revealing the score at that time)

2. Is there no way to pull up a specific match (url?) without having to see the scores at top?

Sorry if this had already been covered above. I'm on my phone and it's difficult to scroll back thru history.

25. The_TMangrove

The_TMangrove New Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Aug 20, 2018
    Regarding question 2, if you are speaking of the scores that appear at the top of the streaming window, you can remove those. When the page first loads, there's a message at the top and you are given 15 seconds to hide them.

I removed them the first week and it has remembered this as a preference ever since. I use a web browser on my laptop so other devices might be different.

I would guess starting from the beginning while the game is in progress isn't possible. Someone else may know differently as I've never tried to do this.