NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the race between Liverpool and Manchester City for 3rd (avoiding CL playoff round) and very outside chance of City missing out completely if they lose, Arsenal wins and many goals are made up.

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    There are only 3 games of relevance this weekend. Instead of putting meaningless games on 7 other channels, they could have placed multimatch on one of those channels. After watching the bundesliga version last weekend, I can say that it would be a big hit with 10 simultaneous games.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we certain that NBC is not going to air Goal Rush on one of their Live Extra channels??

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NorthBank repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you're probably right. But maybe NBC will do one of their notorious last-minute scheduling changes and air Goal Rush on Live Extra #1?

Some Arse/Pool/Citeh supporters would certainly appreciate it. (you listening NBC?)

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this Lax.

I'm becoming a podcast junkie: Footy, Music, News, etc.

I'm also a pretty big Rebecca Lowe fan. I like Kyle Martino also, especially how he holds his own credibly against the Two Robbies on NBC.

After listening to this podcast, I'd say my respect of Rebecca is just about the same, but for Kyle I'm not so sure. I might have to give his series another listen, before I decide.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #508 NorthBank, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    So what happened to Hull-Spurs that was supposed to be on MSNBC? Did Trump's Int'l trip coopt that?

And did they shift that match to another channel at last minute? (apparently that's not a LiveExtra channel though)

I bet fans of those 2 teams are pretty happy.

Edit: Meanwhile the only remaining drama on the last day, pretty much goes poof at around halftime. :( As they queue up their "Download" show to relive the drama that was this day in 2014.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the final Goal Zone. Kyle Martino with a very very bad hair day today. Don't they have stylists on the set at NBC? Or is his hair really that wirey??

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At halftime Rebecca said that the game moved to Universal and it was because of Trump.

11. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mikebsiu repped this.
  12. DeargGerilo

DeargGerilo Member

Mar 16, 2017
    bigtw64 repped this.
  13. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Other than die hards and the supporters of smaller clubs, casual fans won't be spending money on this. I know I won't be. In addition, La Liga and Bundesliga play during this tv window so still plenty to choose from.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the article that @mebeSajid posted in another thread: http://deadspin.com/nbc-has-totally-********ed-its-premier-league-coverage-1796466439

I skimmed it quickly, but it seems to be not only bait-and-switch corporate-greed, but they did it with a really disjointed design?

$50 will get you the Extra Time matches? But not the ones that air on the main NBC cable channels, including NBCSN. To stream those matches you have to have a Cable TV package with those channels. Really?

If true, can we blame Comcast's ownership of NBC on this one??

And wait! What's going to happen to the Extra Time spillover channels on cable??

Extra Time channels have been an absolutely golden part of NBC's coverage, especially if your team is not in the top 4 (or maybe top 6) at that moment in time... or never.

Gonzo repped this.
  15. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

May 28, 1999
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Some people are going to get creative with streaming now.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a pity for those who root for mid -table and lower table teams.
    I feel sorry for you guys.

But as long as I get to see top teams almost every week I personally don't care.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says every club will have at least 3 games that you must pay to watch. I looked at 2016-2017 and counted one game at a time, a second game Saturday at 10:00 A.M., and every game the last day as on TV without Extra Time. I counted 136 games that would have been on Extra Time, which is close to the 130 NBC says. Due to postponements based on clubs advancing in cup competitions, it's impossible to know before the season exactly how many games will be played at the same time as other games.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. bselig

bselig Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Yes. NBC has calculated that "you guys" are a vanishingly small part of their EPL viewership, thus "you guys" are worth shaking down for an extra 50 bucks. The larger casual viewership ("us guys") won't miss a thing, as we will continue viewing the top 4-6 teams week in and week out on our existing NBC/NBCSN/USA platforms.

bigtw64 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The NBA already went down this road where only the 'superteams' matter - it's all Cavs/Warriors/Lakers/Celtics/Spurs all the time on ESPN/TNT/NBATV. If you're a fan of a bottom feeder like Orlando and live outside their market, you have to pay a premium to see their games. I guess $50 for EPL is not a bad price point, but I think I'll pass.

bselig repped this.
  22. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It comes out to $0.39 per game if you want to watch every game. But since most people will watch one game per window, it comes out to $1.32 per round in ppv terms. As already mentioned, with a game already available on tv, few will go for this.

Bigger question is if Comcast will skip a game with a bigger team involved and show a less popular match to spur people into purchasing this.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When every club plays Tuesday or Wednesday, only 2 out of 10 games will be on TV, and the matchday will have two windows. Therefore I disagree with the denominator in $49.99/38.

24. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the exception of midweek games, this really doesn't bother me. I mostly watch other leagues during the 3 pm UK window anyway.

unclesox repped this.
  25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    When the EPL plays midweek rounds, they usually split matches between Tuesday and Wednesday, so it'll be more like 4/10 on TV.