NBC at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Caesar, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    LOL that was 10 hours after the race finished!

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is that NBC probably looks at ratings and sees that Athletics (Track and Field) does not draw the viewership that other sports like gymnastics does. Though Athletics has been a rousing success for the majority of team USA and in particular the women.

If I were programming, I would be showing the entire afternoon and evening program from the Olympic Stadium live.

3. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    no track and field again on live today and its a saturday. I turned the tv off in disgust. NBC on a saturday is delaying all the events people want to watch until after 8pm. Wouldn't surprise me if the 4 x 100 relay is on again after 11pm.

This should be criminal.

Do we need a sports minister in this country like they have in European countries?

4. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Over I can watch the olympics on 28 different BBC channels, all events live plus interactive surface on the red button where I can watch even more live events from multiple different camara angles and different commentators.

and it is all free :)

5. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    yeah from what I hear from my cousins over there the BBC has done a brilliant job.

is BBC's coverage of the olympics always well done? I'm sure because it's in London they have gone out of their way to make it a superb broadcast. What about past olympics?

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They've done brilliantly, in past olympics they've good well. In Sydney and Beijing the events were shown live on tv even though the time difference is massive. This is the first time interactive has come into the olympics due to the fact that we are hosting it.

BBC always covers sports events all especially the olympics and this time round I have to give them 10/10.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    No wonder the stadiums are empty.

8. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thats not why there are empty seats. They said tickets were sold out and then they held on to thousands at some venues for some reason.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From what I've seen stadiums look pretty full. The olympic stadium especially.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they are and this guy is the reason why.

[​IMG]
    Mark Lazarus

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I watched it after 11 on the East coast also. Sunday night after 11pm, when the live race was at 5pm. Ridiculous.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Last I heard you'd failed to sell three quarters of a million tickets, and none of the sponsor allocations were showing up

The Arena was a ghost town in the first week.

13. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    turned to NBC to watch olympics and it's Tom Brokaw talking about WW2. People on the east coast are saying this takes up the whole first hour of the coverage. #NBCFAIL

after the olympics i'm boycotting NBC for a month. Who's coming with me?

14. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    The problem is no one wants to watch on the computer, or their phone, or any other way when the games are live. TV is most relaxing when you are sitting on your soft couch and not in your office chair. A lot of people don't have their computers hooked up to their tv.

As for the article. The guy in charge of the Olympics doesn't know what he is talking about. Everyone I have talked to hates all of the stories about peoples lives and war. They don't like the tape delays on the weekend either. They just want to watch the sports, but the way NBC has chosen to broadcast the games is the only way they can watch the games.

The propper way to do it would have been to show all Soccer, Basketball, track, diving, swimming, and gymnastics live on cable networks like MSNBC, Bravo, CNBC, etc during the day. Then show them again in tape delay on NBC back to back to back as fast as possible with very little commentary. They could fill in all other live and tape delay gaps on tv with other sports. All sports could be shown live and in rerun on the internet.

15. Back2NY

Back2NY Member

Feb 2, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I completely agree. Was the most annoyed yesterday --- waiting all day to watch the Women's volleyball gold medal match. Saw the bronze medal match, probably live, early in the day. Tuned in prime time b/c that's when they said it would be on....Ended up watching a taped soccer game during the first hour due to the WW2 nonsense they showed.

After 2 1/2 hours of diving (didnt mind it too much) they finally started airing the match with the US up 14-7 in the first set. After they won that set, break for commercial, and resume in the middle of the 4th set with Brazil now up 2 sets to 1!!! WTH??? :x3: So, now there is 15 minutes left of programming and of course I knew what the outcome would be. So, a total of maybe 20 minutes aired of the gold medal match. Even though our team lost, I still would have liked to watch the whole match and those women deserved for it to be shown. Would anyone else agree that if the outcome were different, NBC would have showed more of the match?

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read any of my earlier posts on this thread?
    You think what NBC did made me happy?

No it doesn't.

But at least the Live App allowed me and others to watch track and field live.

In all another epic fail by NBC with respect to the following.

1. Show all events live particularly during weekends.

2. Provide a dedicated track and field channel.

3. Continue to provide dedicated basketball and soccer channels. They were terrific.

4. Show the Opening Ceremonies and Closing Ceremonies live.

5. Since Rio in four years is two time zones ahead of Eastern, but only one hour ahead due to daylight savings time in the United States, I hope all events will be shown live.

My major suggestion is to inundate NBC and in particular Mark Lazarus with emails letting them know of our displeasure with their programming choices and demand that they broadcast all events live.

Also that fat f *** Mark Lazarus reminds me of my illustrious governor Christie. I'd like the slap some sense into him, but he's so deluded into lying and thinking he's doing the right thing that it wouldn't help.

NBC did show all the soccer and basketball live. They had dedicated channels and also showed the most important matches live also on NBC Sports Network.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking to my girl about this during the past week. to prove the point I turned on NBC and sure enough there was dressage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2012/jul/11/dressage-olympic-2012-video

This is an Olympic sport. What a joke. This is a sport created to give medals to the rich and those devoid of any athletic ability.

Oh, Margret what can we do to participate and get Olympic medals like the unwashed masses, but pray thee, I don't want to break a sweat and I am devoid of any athletic ability.

You need not worry Saint John (Sin jin) the horse will do all the work and fret not he is walking so slowly you could not possibly fall off. Yawn!!

18. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Yeah I know what you meant. I agree with you about the Track & Field Channel. They really need to focus on showing live track, swimming, diving, soccer, basketball, and gymnastics. After that I would guess the next most popular events in no order would maybe be boxing, volleyball, tennis, wrestling, water polo, and handball. After that would maybe come weightlifting, taekwondo and judo. I don't think anyone would be upset if ping pong, and archery only got internet time.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Shame that the American ratings go down when track starts. Track is not only the original Olympics sport (along with boxing and wrestling), but it is by far the most competitive. Everybody runs and jumps. (Not everybody throws or vaults but close enough). The other endeavors range from being moderately exclusive (wrestling, swimming) to very exclusive (archery, kayaking) to are you kidding me (sailing, horsie).

Proof being that the Chinese can build sports programs to create medalists in the other sports, but they can't beat anybody in track. That's because talent counts the most there, training alone won't do it when the competitive pool is so large.

I watch the other stuff but the truth is that the Olympics are only as good as the track & field, everything else is a side dish.

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

chess might aswell be at the olympics if that is going to be there.

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Dressage is more deserving of being in the Olympics than sports like BMX and walking.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No it's not. Certainly BMX and Dressage have no business being in the Olympics. BMX is the province of the X games and Dressage is really more horse than human skill. The 20K and 50K walks are at least sports.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't think that shows a very good understanding of equestrian sport.

Walking is an inherently stupid discipline. You may as well have the 100m backwards running in the Olympics.

24. Back2NY

Back2NY Member

Feb 2, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I agree, speedwalking was the most ridiculous looking sport shown (besides rhythmic gymastics, that is ;) ).

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I understand equestrian very well, but dressage is extremely boring and NBC devoted way too many hours to it. Personally, Event and Show jumping are interesting and I enjoy watching it, but less so than I did when I was younger.

At least walking has endurance and some degree of athletic ability even if it does look like they are walking with sticks up their butts.