NBC at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Caesar, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Auriaprottu and DoyleG repped this.
  2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austria is. They made a mistake. Did you send them an email advising them of it?

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Nah. Someone's fixed it now anyway.

Clearly the NBC Execs read BigSoccer.

4. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    One of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission, our version of the BBC) correspondents mentioned the other day that NBC has 2,700 employees in London covering the Games. They even have their own private Starbucks.

I can't even imagine what they need that many people on the ground for.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno, but the production values have been fantastic -- at least the money seems to be spent well.

To me this is the best tape-delay Olympic coverage yet. Fewer up-close-and-personal fillers, for the most part Costas is moving bang, bang, bang from one venue to the next. The action looks and sounds great. Still too much focus on Americans, but no worse than at any other Olympics.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This Lazarus guy even has the face you would want on a punching bag. What a dick. He is in complete denial over the outrage of viewers regarding prime events being shown on tape delay in Prime Time.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense considering the number of people NBC has covering events. It's huge. They have more than just the Olympic feed. They have cameras on their people covering the events. Not sure how it works, but I'm sure at any of the major venues like gymnastics and swimming, NBC has 4-5 additional cameras along with the sizable crew in the trucks producing and directing. When doing Sunday night football I would not doubt NBC has in excess of 100 people working. Between the stadium and the studio crews.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another case of NBC screwing up the programming yet again. To devote 1/2 an hour on Prime Time to Phelps on arguably one of the busiest days of the Olympics is not fair to the other sports that took place today. Nothing live on Prime Time. Nothing live from the track this morning or afternoon.
    Here are a list of events that took place 3 1/2 plus hours ago.
    100m Men's Final
    400m Women's Final
    3,000m Steeplechase Men's Final
    Hammer Throw Men's Final
    Triple Jump Women's Final
    400m Men's Semi Finals
    1,500m Men's Semi Finals
    400m hurdles Women's Heats
    High Jump Men's Qualifying
    Earlier in the day, but covered live the Women's Marathon. I did not like the course. It should not have been an 8 mile circuit and it should have ended in the Olympic Stadium assuming events were underway.

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can't believe I'm defending NBC, but there aren't any live events during primetime in the US.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shouldn't be defending NBC at issue is not that there are no events during Prime Time. That is to be expected 8:00 pm EDT is 1:00 am London Time. The issue is why aren't the events shown live at 5:00 pm . Rather than on tape at 8:00 pm.

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They've at least shown the 10,000 meters live, which is more than I was expecting.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have considerably lower expectations for what NBC should be telecasting live.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I said nice things about them earlier but the prime-time coverage has been worsening as the Games go on, with ever-more insipid personality features, boring interviews, and (worse of all) retrospectives about previous Olympics. All the while as gold medals are being earned.

Plus NBC has been showing about 1 1/2 hours of horsie per day over the weekend. Can't show judo, wrestling, shooting, boxing, field hockey, handball, badminton, table tennis, weightlifting, or taekwando. But 3 hours of effing dressage.

15. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    this past Sunday really captured what a shockingly poor job NBC is doing with Olympic coverage.

There were 21 track and field events that took place Sunday. But all day on NBC and their other channels we saw other sports: volleyball, water polo, badminton, equestrian.

Instead NBC delayed all the track and field until late at night. The 100m wasn't shown on the west coast until around 11pm. The rest of the night we saw some track and field but not even half of what took place that day.

Stupid me..here i am thinking track and field was going to be on all day Sunday and i planned my day around it. Not only did NBC not show any track and field until late at night but they never let the audience know when the events would be broadcasted. Then when you tune in to their "primetime coverage" you have to sit through a 30 minute Michael Phelps interview and then some James Bond BS.

Can we really be surprised by this though? The producer of the Olympics does not have any sports background. He's actually the producer of the Today show.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use the Live Extra Application. I was able to watch today's evening program for track and field.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...ccount-suspended-after-network-complains.html

OH my NBC complains and Twitter suspends the account of a Blogger because he listed the NBC email address for the president of NBC Sports. The person responsible for the tape delay to prime time of so many Olympic events.
    [​IMG]
    Critic of NBC has Twitter account suspended after network complains
    sports.yahoo.com
    Twitter and NBC should be embarrassed after the suspension of Guy Adams' account.

18. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That was a shockingly bad show. I'm starting to think that Up Close & Personal ABC might even be an improvement. Shudder.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Every single day when prime time starts, it's diving. Every single day. All those sports and this same damn Chinese torture sport, always.

I hate NBC.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the past two days I have recorded the track and field during the day. That's what my program guide says. Only problem is that the goddamn equestrian is always running over by 20 minutes in a 30 or 45 minute telecast. Dressage sucks! Talk about boring!!!!

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You won't get much, as NBC rarely shows track finals live. Usually just a couple of heats, the rest is stored up for the 10 to 11 Eastern slot.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With their stupid little towels. What is up with using a hand towel when you come out of the pool.

The level of absurdity reached new heights and it's not the 10m platform.

24. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    NBC has totally ruined this Olympics. They will hang their hat on the fact that the ratings are up. But they have a monopoly on the coverage so that argument doesn't fly. I still can't believe on a Sunday they refused to show the 100m live and made us on the west coast wait until after 11pm at night.

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, get the Live Extra application and watch the entire program from the Olympic Stadium with only commercial interruption and some freeze ups during the most inopportune times.