National Team Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by La Trucha, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Could of and should of been at least 5-0

2. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Nevermind the goals Bonilla and maten ate in front of the net lol

3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll accept the W, and all 3 goals were excellent, but I'm disappointed that we could not score more goals. With the amount of possession, plays and shots we had all night, we could have absolutely achieved 4-0 at least. We'll struggle against Jamaica if we're this complacent.

The excuses of bad refereeing and a persistent Barbadian defence can only take us so far. Again, I was impressed with Ceren's performance tonight; he stood out to me.

4. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Trucha - I agree with you about 90%. But here is where the other 10% comes in. The guys are playing better as a team. Yes I understand it was Barbados and not Brazil. However it’s hard to deny they are playing better. I remember when la selecta use to struggle and or lose against the likes of Barbados. So that being said I am hoping they can figure out a way to finish by the time we meat Jamaica. If we manage to do so. We may and can win. Look I was not happy with the hiring of de los Cobos. But I got to give him credit. And credit has to be given where it’s due. He needed to win this game, he needed to win the last one. And he did. It’s not pretty. But it’s business lol.so let’s see what happens. I am becoming a little bit more (10%) optimistic. Lol. My take bro. But I do agree with much of what you say.

5. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    By the way brother all kinds of respect for your opinion. I am just optimistically happy we looked good tonight lol.

La Trucha repped this.
  6. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The talent and passion are there, the level of play is fast and attractive, and the team work very well together, but the inability to finish has always been a problem over the years. You saw the amount of opportunities to score wasted, we can’t be doing that. Just look at the stats; a stronger opponent wouldn't allow ES to hold the ball as long, or take as many shots.

D295298F-D62D-42E5-9419-443D8CDAE404.jpeg

We’ve shown in the past two Gold Cups that we could defeat Jamaica if we were able to finish. We need to score heavily against Bermuda and/or Jamaica to remain in the top 6.

PS. It’s also sunk in that this WC cycle will be the last for a number of our players who will be in their early 30’s come 2022. AA will be 37.

7. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    #157 slaminsams, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    When did we struggle and lose to Barbados? Even in our darker years we would still get past countries like Barbados. We did tie Saint Kitts, Guyana and Barbados during World Cup qualifying at times but against a team like Montserrat which is far below them we would traditionally do fine even in down years. Things are in bad shape

We have players abroad now, even the guys in the league aren’t doing to bad Alianza had pretty good run in the CL and some of the other clubs did too, we have better player development then previous years, the clubs are letting the players play on the national team, match fixing is looked down upon by the players a lot of the previous problems we had have gone away yet our FA goes and does something stupid like firing Lara because there was “supposedly” no money yet are paying DLC just fine. They hire Gochez to coach our u20 team.

They put Hugo Carillo in charge we are essentially dead in the water for a few years for that reason alone. It’s hard to see an upside so long as he is running things.

Belize is running up the score against their opponents these Caribbean sides haven’t really improved much we have just regressed a lot which was unnecessary but for the incompetence of our FA which will continue

8. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    We need Zelaya against stronger teams. I dont know if CDC will call him up again or if he just doesnt want the team to be over reliant on him and wants to see what other options he has at his disposal.

9. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Some are speculating that the reason why he isn’t calling Zelaya is because of the Costa Rica game all those years back. Since Fito came out and publicly said they were given the order to throw the game by the coaching staff. This would make sense considering he is the last one from that squad that can still play.

10. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    The question would be with Fito do you change that to a 4-4-2 with him and Bonilla or do you go bold and make it a 4-3-3 with Pineda joining them up top.

11. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    These would have been great games to experiment and see which would be best moving forward.

12. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  13. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    SMH there are times where I tell myself why i even bother anymore, we have really become a tier 3 team in Concacaf. There is no excuse for this loss.

La Trucha, Willsant87 and slaminsams repped this.
  14. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    For the friendly against Haiti, Joaquin Rivas will be starting as forward and Kevin Carabantes will be starting in goals.
    External links: https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Jo...lantero-titular-ante-Haiti-20181118-0016.html
    External Links: https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Ke...eleccion-mayor-salvadorena-20181119-0025.html

Hugo Carrillo has asked for a change of ideas from Carlos De los Cobos, he also took a swipe at Under 20 coaches.
    External Links: https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Hu...ico-formacion-de-la-sub-20-20181119-0013.html

(a) I think the criticism is starting to take a toll on Carrillo trying to get Cobos to change his methodology.
    (b) HAHAHA yeah take a swipe even though you hired the incompentence of Alexander Rodriguez and then hire a last minute replacement in Ernesto Gochez, Now I am not a fan of Goches, however considering how short amount of time he had and the fact we weren't blown out of the aprk in the games against mexico or Panama.

Even Cobos admitted that not qualifying to Gold Cup would be a disaster, honestly he should be sacked if thats the case, I mean I have seen no improvement under him and he failed a pretty vital task.
    External Links: https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/De...a-Copa-Oro-sera-un-fracaso-20181119-0032.html

Willsant87 repped this.
  15. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Now I’m not a fan of Gochez but he did an admirable job given the circumstances I think I would let him coach the U23. Question now is will he even want to since Hugo is an a-hole that will throw you under the bus.

Now back to Gochez he does have at least some connections n the states to finding players so it might help albeit he would need to revise his tactics and find strikers.

Finally to add the youngster that is currently in River Plate was not called up he mentioned how he wanted to so that answers the question posted earlier if he was still abroad.

16. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Rivas scores 1-0. He is looking really good out there. Also if you have Direct TV the game is on channel 428.

La Trucha repped this.
  17. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Massive suprise play a striker in a striker position and we get goal, who would have thought it?
    Well I know it went against DLC tactics especially not playing Dennis Pineda or somerandom midfielder in the main striker position

slaminsams repped this.
  18. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I agree, i did feel Gochez did well despite the odds stacked against him, but I also feel he played a very defensive game. I think we should be trying to pry away from that and get more tu a tu, as when we did that with Mexico they gave them a lot of trouble.

Yes, the River player is still there in their youth squads. The question is, why was he not called up? Hugo has said Gochez called many of his friends, so if that is true that is a big issue. We need the best of what we have, which is already very limited, so why not bring in the abroad players we have who WANT to play??

Tbh though, Joaquin isn’t a striker striker. For Roughnecks he plays as the second striker, and maybe that’s what he should play for ES too, since it looks like DLC doesn’t want to bring in Zelaya. Have Joaquin with Bonilla.

19. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well two things either River wasn’t going to release him or FESFUT would have been penny pinching and made up some excuse to not bring him.

That says a lot though that the second one can be a legitimate option. As for Gochez calling his friends if true I would tell him to look in other spots if he is going to coach them moving forward.

20. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I don’t see why River would say no if they aren’t in any sort of playoffs. I would go with the second one because we know how cheap FESFUT is.

All i can say is, Gochez did above average, but failing to qualify for another WC is disappointing and should be alarming.

21. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I don’t like saying this but is it really alarming at this point? I mean they’ve made every other NT group outside of the senior side an afterthought. They are going to continue with cookie cutter methods as long as the same revolving heads are around at the top, since they see the rest as a waste of time instead as an investment.

I do agree tactics have to change and the e should be more offensive.

22. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Sadly you’re correct. But the fact that we can literally look forward to failure is disheartening and should be a wake up call. But i guess we’ve been saying that for years huh?

If ES played attacking soccer correctly with the talent that we have we would actually be fun to watch