National Team of CUBA [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by MIGkiller, May 12, 2003.

1. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    [hiding face in shame smiley]I'd like to withdraw this question, please.[/hiding face in shame smiley]

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    THANKS TO THE SUGGESTION OF MIGkILLER THE TITLE OF THE DISCUSSION/folder was changed.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ZERO

BIG 0

THEY COULD NOT HANDLE THE SUBS from steve's Bench!

4. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    This Cuban team is not bad. I must say though that the 2-0 against Canada was a fluke, they havent reached such a high level yet.

5. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Any defection news this time around?

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    bump!

So how do you guys sum Cuba's participation in the last Gold Cup and Pan Ams? Are they in the path of doing a good WCQs?

7. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think Costa Rica lost by -3 goals!!

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazilian coaches will teach soccer to cubans in exchange agreement:

http://oglobo.globo.com/online/plantao/110437944.asp

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    peruvian MIGUEL COMPANY, speaks out, he still in charge:

"El fútbol cubano requiere de una labor inconmensurable desde la base, o sea, con la incorporación a la práctica de los niños, y no creo en los milagros, pero tengo una gran fe en la naturaleza deportiva de este pueblo"

Bajo su mando, el fútbol cubano sueña con la clasificación olímpica y, a partir del primer trimestre del próximo año, iniciará el largo camino hacia la Copa del Mundo Alemania 2006.

"Son dos metas importantes para un país como Cuba, en el cual gusta mucho el fútbol, pero existe una base endeble, porque la mayoría de los talentos potenciales optan desde la niñez por otros deportes, principalmente el béisbol", argumentó Company.

Para obtener una de las dos plazas que confiere la Confútbol para la cita olímpica de Atenas 2004, la selección cubana sub 23 lucha con Jamaica por el objetivo.
    En el partido de ida, el pasado siete de septiembre, cubanos y jamaiquinos igualaron a un gol en el estadio Pedro Marrero, en la capital cubana, y el entrante 12 de octubre volverán a rivalizar en Kingston, en un choque crucial en las aspiraciones de ambos de promover a la siguiente ronda.

Como preparación para ese enfrentamiento, el once cubano ha pactado tres partido de fogueo Ante su similar de Panamá en el estadio Marrero de La Habana.
    En el primero de estos desafíos, disputado este miércoles bajo la lluvia, ambas selecciones en igualaron la pizarra 2-2. El segundo choque está previsto para el viernes y el tercero y último el domingo.

Los futbolistas locales también chocarán con sus similares de República Dominicana, en el mismo escenario, el 29 próximo y el 1 de octubre, en horas de la tarde.

10. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the whole purpose of the blockade! Kennedy was trying to prevent Russian coaches from coming over to train the Cubans so Cuba could qualify for the 1966 WC and eliminate the US in the process!! When the Russian coaches couldn't get through the blockade, Cuba had to resort to its own coaches and failed to qualify--they gave it a good run though: came in second place to Jamaica in the opening round of WCQ!!!

11. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WCQ draw

If Cuba succeeds in their first WCQs 2006 commitment against the Cayman Islands in home/home series, which they won't probably have any difficulty in doing so, they will have to overcome nothing more, nothing less than the regional powerhouses Costa Rica in order to reach the CONCACAF semifinals. The beggining doesn't look very good for the national team of Cuba.

12. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cuba just won the 2nd leg against the Cayman Islands by 3-0 (5-1 on aggregate) and now will play Costa Rica on June 13 for the next round. Tough task for Cuba in their WCQs path.

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    More scored all three goals for Cuba. He seems to always be the 'go to guy' on the Cuban team.

What club does he play for in Cuba?

Does anyone know anything about the Cuban soccer league?

14. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    I'm no expert on the Cuban league, but I know he plays for Ciego de Avila, who I'm pretty sure is the current champion.

15. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Re: Why doesn't Cuba have a decent team?

Dude, what are you talking about? The only teams from CONCACAF that are ranked higher than Cuba is USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Jamaica. Not that CONCACAF is the best federation out there, but it speaks a lot for Cuba compared to Canada, the rest of Central America, and the other 300 island nations. They had defeated Canada, Costa Rica, and Jamaica in last year's CONCACAF Gold Cup to reach the quarter-finals against USA then lost. I'm not a Cuban so I'm not going to defend them much, but have you ever seen them play lately? I have. They have a good squad that could definitely be the surprise team for WC qualifying. More Cubans are playing football, and like you said: a communist leader would sure love to have his country represented in an international competition.

16. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I`ll say that Cuba, and Panama also, are the most improved countries in the last two years.....Unfortunately for them, they have no chance to go to the World Cup

17. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Some help for Cuba

Amazing. Good for Cuba!

Argentina wants to help Cuban soccer

' We want to bring top level soccer coaches such as (Jorge) Valdano, (Marcelo) Bielsa to work with our coaches and in schools,' said the Argentine government's Secretary for Sports Claudio Morresi.

18. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    Re: Some help for Cuba

thats good for Cuba because they have alot of potential. I hope for 2010 that they will make it to to semin finals, if not the hex.

19. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

good for them...seems that Maradona`s trips to the island are working...

20. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004

Yes. They have a lot of black people. :D :D

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/23/sports/cuba-soccer-world-cup-qualifying.html?auth=login-facebook

When its campaign to qualify for the 2022 World Cup begins this week, Cuba will use an approach it has not tried in years: fielding many of its best eligible players.

For years, only Cuban players who had contracts with INDER, the country’s governing body for sports, were selected to represent the national team. This month, that will change. Cuba has called in several players who are based abroad — and outside the official Cuban sports system — to play in a set of World Cup qualification matches.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost to Guatemala 1-0 and got a red card after allowing a goal.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    horrible calls both on the goal being allowed and also on the red card.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Feuerstein
    @DFeuerstein

39m
    Full Time in today's 1st match of the 2nd half in
    @Concacaf
    @FIFAWorldCup
    Qualifying Dominica 3:0 Anguilla.
    Montserrat vs. US V.I. is next,
    5:30PM Cuba vs. British V.I.
    At 6PM Cayman Island vs. Aruba,
    Then at 7:30PM Puerto Rico vs. Bahamas

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AmericanPyramidBlog
    @APyramid_Blog

4h
    Big CONCACAF WC Qualifying games coming up. Curacao v Guatemala for 1st place. Cuba in a must win vs St Vincent. St Kitts can go anywhere from 5 to 7 pts up with a game against TnT. Puerto Rico can take second with a win over Guyana. Then Suriname v Canada with 1st on the line.