National team game songs

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by FWSCKEEPER, Jan 20, 2003.

1. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    http://www.ga.k12.pa.us/academics/us/TECHsite/WWIsite/WWIpages/audioOVERTHERE.html

I really like this. I think it would work if everyone learns the lyrics beforehand. It's not a very complicated song I don't think. (Make sure you click on the link at the top and listen to the song. Very funny the way the guy sings it.)

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/n/oncetoev.htm

I like it. It's a little bit creepy though so I guess it is very intimidating. Make sure it's really loud though. This one would be very nice if everyone just took some time to learn it beforehand. Hell, I'll stand in front of the section with it written on posterboard if that's what it takes.

Once again if it is so complicated that we need cue cards I'll do it.:D

Both great ideas.

I like this one as well.

I'll make the cue cards! Seriously though it's not hard to learn these songs. Think of all the meaningless stuff you have stored somewhere in your head. This is actually semi-important.

So I guess I should start working on compiling The Official Hymnal of US Soccer? We all need to stop being so lazy and learn the songs and chants. It's not hard.

It's a matter of repitition. It doesn't have to be short. We sing the same song at every football game for my school. Over and over. It's long as ************ but we all know it b/c we wanted to know it. It's intimidating to walk into a stadium and hear the whole other side singing in unison.

The soccer moms would hate this. It's a great idea. ;)

Seriously though. It's not that hard to learn these songs/chants.

Does Sam's Army or anyone else happen to have a drum that's ten feet tall? If there are a bunch of drums beating out the same thing all at once it gets to be very intimidating and will make the other side's fans very agitated. The school across town has a huge drum and they make a heartbeat on it for most of the game. This in addition to whole songs would be very nice.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    An old Civil War marching song:

Yes, we'll rally round the flag, boys, rally round the flag. Shouting the battle cry of freedom. Yes we'll rally from the hillside, rally from the plain. Shouting the battle cry of freedom. The Union forever. Hurrah, boys, Hurrah. Down with the traitor, up with the star. Yes we'll rally round the flag boys, rally round the flag. Shouting the battle cry of freedom.

You could take out traitor and put in any country/team name.

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    You can always turn the masses' ignorance of the lyrics, but knowledge of the tune, into a powerful force unto itself, as done at Penn State when their alma mater is "sung":

"We don't know the god-damned words.
    We don't know the god-damned words.
    We don't know the god-damned words.
    Dear old State, dear old State."

And by the way - don't be surprised if "Over There" is the title and thematic hook to the USSF's commemorative DVD from the 2006 World Cup.

4. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Back in the day when I went to Middlebury hockey games the big winner was:

Cheer boys cheer, for Middlebury's here
    Fight boys fight, fight with all your might
    It'll be a hot time in the old town tonight

It's not as short as it looks, as the lines are long, and Middlebury could easily be replaced with "the fightin' Yanks," or something.

5. hinchaderiver2005

hinchaderiver2005 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 19, 2004
    how about the mira mira mira,sacar te un foto y te vas a tijuana con el culo roto song...sang when argentina beats mexico in the us.
    and sorry for the the spelling mistakes in spanish,i suck at writing spanish but talk it fluintly

6. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SA, I agree and I've suggested Rally 'Round the Flag on other threads but no one else ever agrees/disagrees/anything. It's an easy, repetitive tune and there are more verses but obviously the first, best-known one would be the only one sung in a mass setting. It doesn't get much more patriotic in my opinion.

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Two things about these chants I think are important (IMO)

Simplicity, Repetition Deepens the Groove!!
    And the use of the word Yank, Alot of countries use it as a derogetory word and we love the word so let's use it!

To the tune of: "When the Saints go Marching in"

Here come the Yanks!
    Here come the Yanks!
    Here come the Yanks to win again!

Simple, repeat it for about 4 minutes and everyone will pick up on it,
    and then keep it up....

Oh that brings up another point, if you are going to print up song or chant sheets, please make a note about what tune to sing it to.

This tends to confuse alot of new folks. they want to sing the tune but don't know what tune to sing it to.

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

"Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
    Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
    Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
    The U.S. marches on."

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I like that! Now we only have 46 days and about 2 hours to go............
    Or at least I do......

46 days 1 hour and 59 minutes......
    46 days 1 hour and 58 minutes......

10. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I always thought the 'I wish I was in Dixie" would be an awesome song to sing during a game!!!! Maybe the Ray Charles version of "America."

11. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does everyone know "I love this bar" by Toby Keith? That would sound great.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    During the US-El Salvador match a coupla years ago, we sang the "alabaster cities" verse. Priceless.

13. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not quite the patriotic "American" tunes I was thinking.

14. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

No offense Q but if people start singing Contemporary Country Music songs at a soccer match I will have no choice but to start hurling my own feces.

15. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    I love country, but I would also have to do some hurling on that idea.

Has Sam's Army ever thought of passing out songsheets at games. I know it could be a little costly, but it might help.

I agree with using variations of high school/college basketball/football chants. It would feel more American.

16. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    haha. me too.

17. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Lord please - no Toby Keith!! Although it may drive the opposition running off the pitch. LOL

I suggested in the US Chants thread, that we do the simplest, most powerful chorus in the history of music. . . . (drumroll. . .)

ACDC's Back In Black with "U.S." subbed for "I'm back" so it would be the easy u powerful chant of:

Hey Hey Hey Hey!
    U.S!!
    Hey Hey Hey Hey!
    U.S!!

(Then twice as loud and an octave higher like the song does. . .)

Hey Hey Hey Hey!
    U.S!!
    Hey Hey Hey Hey!
    U.S!!

It's easy. Its repetetive. And it will sound like a fekkin' prison riot when it goes off. . . . Attica!! Attica!!

LOL

18. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Pizza Hut
    Many great ideas.

But how to pick an 'official' Nats support song(s) and inform the masses?

Does it start with a poll? What gets into the poll? Who starts it? Does it start on BigSoccer, Sams-Army, ??????

I guess what I have always envisioned (as others from what I have read here) is a sea of red singing in unison to a song(s) at various points in a match.

I like the idea of the the Fed did with contest a few years back, but the "Goals, Goals, Goals..." bit never seemed to catch on.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said in the other thread. The "Kids in America"

"We're the Kids in America, Whoa oh!
    We're the Kids in America, Whoa oh!
    Everybody live for the music go 'round.

La, la, lalala.
    La, la, lalala.
    SING!
    La, la, lalala.
    La, la, lalala, lalala.

We're the kids,
    We're the kids,
    We're the kids in America!
    We're the kids,
    We're the kids,
    We're the kids in America!"

It's perfect I tell ya.

20. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few of us in the Riot Squad section sang this at the US-Denmark friendly We even tried Neil Diamond's "Coming to Amercia" and of course, Grand Funk Railroad's "We're an American Band" and "Glory, Glory Hallelujah". Didn't really catch on. Frickin' commies. :)

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game and that was a pretty tough crowd for a trial run. Most anything was going to have problems that day. Not exactly an electric atmosphere, particularly compared to MLS Cup which was absolutely jumping.

It seems like a great fit. Very, very, very simple. Great to sing aloud. Most everyone (or at least anyone likely to sing) knows it. Lyrics fit excpetionally well.

22. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a lot of good ideas and decided to post finally on my thoughts. I think the size of the section will determine what types of songs to sing.

If we are smaller, we can obviously focus on more difficult tunes that aren't as simple. And of course if we have a big section (like I hope for in Germany) then we have to focus on more simple stuff.

I don't believe we should 'adopt' any style of cheering from another country, but after having returned from seeing England in Euro 2004 (and other who have seen England [or another national supporters group which you can understand the language]), I think changing the words to "patriotic/American" songs to put in "soccer" lyrics is kind of hokey. I liked how the English songs are (whether you agree with them) are reflective of their nationalism and country's history.

Throughout the match, the songs included Rule Britannia, God Save the Queen, "English 'till I die" chant, and one song (which some of you may already know) about German bombers and the RAF shooting them down. NONE of those ever mention soccer, but rather reflect the nation.

Similarly, with the US, I think there's nothing wrong with singing some of the songs mentioned above and "God Bless America"/other historic songs.

23. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA!

I agree with the feces hurling at country songs too.

I guess we can sing Dixie if Clint Mathis scores.

We need something though. Can you imagine how pissed off Europeans would be if they were losing to us in a World Cup game and US fans were singing some American patriotic song?

24. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BRILLIANT!

25. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I don't see nothing wrong with singing patriotic songs either, but one thing (among a lot of things) that separates us from the English supporters is that they have a supporters band. The band may not always lead the songs and chants, but they help organize them and make them sound intimidating. With a band you could get several hundred people singing and chanting the same thing quickly (instead of having to repeat the same song three times to get it across to people). As I've been saying in the US Chants thread, put together a band, a few simple American chants that just about every American would know, throw in a couple of popular American patriotic songs and I think that many casual American fans would get involved in the game. With all due respect, I don't think some of these long complicated songs will catch on with the casual American soccer fan. Heck, even in college football many people do not know the words to their school's alma mater.