National team game songs

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by FWSCKEEPER, Jan 20, 2003.

1. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    I just got done watching the 'Our Way' DVD and noticed that after one of the games in the 1st round we ( Sams army ?) were chanting that damn Ole Ole Ole Ole thing. Is'nt there something else we can sing, That is soooo Mexico. How about a rousing version of 'America the Beautiful" man that would sound sweet . Close your eyes and hear it.
    maybe we already do, But the OLe thing has to go.

2. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Ole is sung throughout the world. It's not just Mexico.

3. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    Througout wich part of the world ?
    I think it sounds like we can't make up our own chants and are just ripping off our rivals.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's getting soooooo old. I was here in Pasadena for WC '94 and I wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard that song.. Even the Brazilians were singing it every 20 seconds on the streets in Pasadena.

5. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    Ok , now close your eyes and picture all the US fans singing at the top of their lungs
    AMEEEEEERICAAAA AMEEEERICCAAA
    GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THE ?

Now that my friend is powerful.

6. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did it at 9:11 of the US v. Jamaica game this past qualifying round, and it was awesome. I'll always be reminded of that game, though, and personally, I couldn't sing it as a regular cheer.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool fans always make sure to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" when the team is surely about to lose to remind them they will always support them fully no matter what happens on the pitch.
    A song such as "America the Beautiful" seems to fit that type of usage to me (hopefully that won't happen but rarely).
    Hopefully, there will be a lot more ideas for songs to come along on these boards soon.
    I'll try too..

8. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    I also remember them singing Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, hey, hey goodbye to Portugal, as well as "overrated--clap, clap, clap clap clap"--which were great. I think we should get our cheers from college basketball and football rather than borrowing foriegn ones or making up lame ones IMO.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    k.i.s.s.

keep
    it
    simple
    stupid

that's what we do at fire games, and it has a large part to do with why we are the loudest, most unified supporter's group in mls

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    For a while "America the Beautiful" always went off at minutes 43 and 88. I'd like to see that continue since it's a patriotic song and a small tradition of singing it was starting to develop. However, you can't have too many scheduled songs either. That way you'll come across almost like robots. Singing comes from the heart, and you want it to come across that way.

11. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Why at 43 and 88 minutes........ just the two minute thing?

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    That could be it, I don't have an answer as to why that time was picked, just noticed at at qualifiers I went to.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Correct.

There was some sentiment to make singing "God Bless America" at 9:11 permanent. Personally, I like the idea, but I can see why some people don't.

The biggest problem with singing at USA matches is that songs don't last long enough. This is what usually happens:

Someone starts a song, let's say it's the Ole song. They sing it 3-4 times and about 25 people or so pick up on it the first time through. Then a few more people pick up on it. By the third time through, you have about 50 people singing.

So what happens? Someone else starts another song and you essentially have dueling songs while a bunch of other people stand around confused, not knowing which one to sing.

We need songs to go on for 3-4 minutes at a time so everyone can join in. Ask people who were at RFK for the El Salvador match. We sang the "oooohhhh... U-S-A" song over and over again for about 4 minutes. By the time we switched the song, we nearly 300 people in our section and people from other sections singing it.

I know it irritates some people to sing the same song over and over again, but it's the only way to get the crowd involved.

Sachin

14. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

i was there...that song was awesome...it was the first time i heard it at a game and still can't get it out of my mind...... it was the first real song i heard because it lasted so long....and a lot of people joined.....

the ole song is a bit annoying....and now when i think of a song for the us...the one from the el salvador comes to mind....

by the way....what's the origin of it? someone at the game said the world cup...but i was there and didn't hear it....

anyway...can't wait to sing it in miami on the 8th

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

************ the people it irritates... you need everyone to pick up on working together, so repeat it until everyone gets together and then keep doing it for awhile longer... to beat in the idea that it's a group and we all work together

the joke at fire games is that we've done "lo-lo-lo-lo" for 45 minutes straight

but what it really says is that we don't mind repeating what we do, we want everyone working together and we will keep doing it that way so we stay a tight cohesive group... limiting the number of things done and repeating things throughout the game greatly helps

if you sing "america the beautiful" you need to do it more than 3 times in a row

16. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the song's from south america. River Plate's fans sing it(not saying that they're the only ones, just using them as an example) and they sing it in spanish: Ohhhhhhhhh vamos River Plate, Ohhhhh vamos River Plate...somethin like that. We just switched it up to Let's Go instead of vamos and there ya have it. I agree, it's catchy.

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    You're a grand old flag
    You're a high flying flag
    And forever in peace, may you wave
    You're the emblem of
    The land I love
    The home of the free and the brave
    Every heart beats true for the
    *scream* RED WHITE AND BLUE *scream
    Where there's never a boast, nor brag
    So should old aquantince be forgot
    Keep your eye on the grand old flag!

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Short chants sound great too. They're also the easiest for others to pick up on and not worry about sounding stupid, or singing wrong.

The classic "Stick to cricket" for Trinidad was a great example.

"You'll never beat the U-S!"

"We're red, we're white, we are ******* dynamite!"

Players names are also good at times. "Cle-tus" "Lan-don" etc.

Something like "Too much sake'" would be good for Japan. I'm sure the actually creative folks here can come up with some good stuff.

-Kevin

19. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I may be in the minority here but when I was at the Hondo vs Nats game in Seattle right before the WC I found it incredibly annoying singing America the Beautiful, God Bless America etc etc.

Why? Well for one it isn't a very football specific chant. However it also is just too damn flag wavy, GW BUSHY, driving a honkin huge gaz guzzling Chevy with 4 flags, etc etc for me.

Maybe that's my own deal with my politics but I would like to see more US NATS specific cheers that support our lads and are original. The flag waving stuff just turns me (and alot of other folks who were with me) off.

Of course I have now thrown down the gauntlet and will need to start getting creative here (easy to criticize hard to lead).

20. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's wrong with waving a flag?

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Better not stand next to me then. I'm all about waving the flag and rubbing it in the opponent's face. :D

If you can't make nationalistic statements at an international soccer match, where else can you make them?

Sachin

22. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Maybe?

23. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how can you be turned off by wavin a flag? that's gotta be the dumbest thing i've ever heard. how else would you like to show you're patriotism and spirit then when supporting your country?

24. metrolec10

metrolec10 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    miami/queens,new york
    how about this one

50 states
    make 1 great
    red,white and blue
    we stay true
    were all friends
    until the end

25. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Look I am not turned off by waving a flag at a US National Team game. That is what you do, I understand this and I have definitly done it. The pride I felt last summer at our great run in the WC was wonderful. But it was pride not so much as an American but as an American Soccer Fan who has suffered in the shadows for so long. Do you see the distinction?

The problem I have is what has happened with all this damn flag waving that has happened in the two years since 9/11 with people driving monster SUV's that get 10 miles to the gallon with flags on both antennas. The irony is just too much for me.
    Make sense?

I for one love waving my US NATS scarf and will cheer and scream for our lads as much as the next guy or girl. How bout this for a cheer:

To the Tune of "When the Saints Come Marching"

Oh when the Nats
    Oh when the Nats
    Oh When the Nats Come Marching In
    Were gonna beat you sorry wankers (or the team knickname here - Catrachos, El Tri etc)
    Oh when the Nats Come Marching In

Simple, easy and everyone knows the tune