Nate Weiss: Youth Development at VfB-Stuttgart

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by dukefan27, Feb 11, 2008.

1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YA has just confirmed this signing, and have a few comments from Nate on the situation.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WEISS HOPING TO BE IN LATVIAN OPENER

"As far as things here are going, everything is great in terms of [soccer]," the Florida native recently told YA. "We start our season on April 10th against the top team in Latvia, FK Ventspils. I'm not sure if I will be able to take part in the match however, because I am still waiting for my work visa to arrive."

3. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I spoke to Nate and he got 20 minutes in the first game and nearly a whole half in the second game for Fk Jelgava. They lost their first two games to two of the bigger teams in the league but they have had very promising results in the Latvian Cup and are in the semi-finals of that 16-team tournament.

Nate is hoping to continue playing strong and he feels that the team as a whole shouldn't have any problem being a top half of the table team although it will be hard to finish at the very top given the resources of the larger clubs. He is back to playing his "natural" position at left back even though he's listed as a midfielder for the team.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this on Y-A

Jelgava upset traditional Latvian giants Skonto on penalties in the semifinal of the Latvian Cup. Weiss was an unused sub.

They'll play Jūrmala in the final on May 19.

5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FK Jelgava won the Latvia Cup today and will go to the Europa League next season.

6. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Spoke to Nate again for a while and thought I'd post a video he sent me to the forum. Not sure who made it, either Nate or a friend of his, I'd imagine. It's clips from some of the televised segments of his games. He is #23 with the bright orange cleats. There are a host of youtube videos available if you search 'fk jelgava' but I can't recommend any as I haven't watched any except the one below.

He is playing regularly as a sub in the second half, at left back or left wing depending on the game. He has one goal which you can see on the video and a couple of assists according to what he told me. The team has been getting some positive results lately and Nate is hoping the Europa League goes well so that he can get some positive publicity. He played with Alejandro Bedoya on a club team in Weston, FL for 5 or 6 years and I think his friend's recent international consideration has him excited about doing the same. Anyway, here is the link. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKb796zrlU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKb796zrlU[/ame]

7. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kymvx2kMNa8"]YouTube- Nathaniel "Nate" Weiss[/ame]

Link to another video Nate sent me. Some of the footage is the same, but a bunch of it is new.

8. ncstate99

ncstate99 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icC0wIYi21o"]YouTube- nate against jauniba moments[/ame]

just saw this..some highlights from his last game..looks ok!

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WEISS REFLECTS ON SEASON IN LATVIA

10. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009

Good question that I actually asked Nate when I met up with him a few days ago. He is back in South Florida and starting to train again since the Latvian season ended a few weeks ago. He said that he has been speaking to a few different teams and countries and there has definitely been some interest. He told me he has an invite to Czech Republic for January with a top division team. He mentioned Cypress, Greece and Slovakia as possibilities for next season although those were early discussions with a team and nothing formal. Also, I know he keeps in touch with people from Israel all the time. I'll try and update if/when I hear things from him.

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info.

13. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

He played the second half today in the first pre-season training game. J-Södra lost 1-4 against IFK Göteborg.

Opinions on his performance seem to vary:

"Weiss made himself available and ran tiredlessly."

"Weiss could be a contributer since that's our weakest position in defence."

"None of the trialists showed enough to be real options. Enough with the signings that only increase squad depth."

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  16. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Just wondering who/where those quotes are from...coaches, scouts, media, etc. I found a few articles on the Jonkoping Sodra website but the google translations were a bit dodgy.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Here is a youtube link to a clip of Nate playing against IFK Gothenburg in Sweden. He is playing with Jonkoping Sodra and is #20 in green.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtQQg0P2hY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtQQg0P2hY[/ame]

19. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it have made sense to spend one more year in Latvia. You know, have a little consistency to your training and your CV? I have to think that, just like in the real world, job hoppping (or in this case club hopping) doesn't look too good on a resume.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    over the years I have seen some of the things that people write, and while I am
    never bothered by other's opinions, there are times that I wish I could set a
    story straight, not to make me look better but more so that people can see whats really
    going on.

I don't want to sound too pretentious because I understand that many of you
    could care less about what I do, but if there is even 1 person out there who is interested in knowing my thoughts and opinions, I will be checking this regularly and posting prompt responses.

3 weeks ago, I was on a trial with jonkopping sodra in Sweden, and played well
    enough that I garnered some interest from a preseason opponent in ifk gotenburg.
    I was offered the chance to stay with jonkopping, but having always wanted to
    play in the MLS a preseason invite would seemed to have trumped everything when
    they told me after watchin game tape that o was in contention for a starting
    spot. Upon arrival to Chicago I learned that not only was I going to be looking
    at a minimum contract, but I was also competing with 6 right backs, and one
    signed and delivered already,
    so needless to say after 2 weeks in preseason and only 20 minutes of actual game
    play, I realized this might not be the most
    ideal place to be. So, with that in consideration on Monday I will return to
    Sweden. Jonkopping has already reached there limits on roster spots, so the
    manager there will try to set me up with another team for six months, they bring
    me back in July when a few players contracts expire.

I must make it clear that I am not going to use this forum as means to bash anyone, but I am moreshowing that I am willing the speak the blunt truth whether it makes me look
    good or bad.

Starting on monday I will also use twitter as a way to let anyone who is interested follow me. I will use video and photos to make anyone following me feel as if they are there with me. If anyone wants to give me some advice on what would make this more interesting or what they would most like to see I am open to any and all suggestions...

you can follow me on twitter
    @nweiss23

Testudo repped this.
  23. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hella cool. Thanks for doing this. I think BS needs a dose of reality every now and then. :)

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately you are not the first nor will you be the last YA who wants to return home that gets a low-ball offer from MLS.
    I hope you can find a club in Scandinavia until the summer. It would be cool if you ended up somewhere where we could catch a match streamed online once in a while. Good luck and keep us posted.