Nate Weiss: Youth Development at VfB-Stuttgart

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by dukefan27, Feb 11, 2008.

1. dukefan27

dukefan27 New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    http://shamrockrovers.ie

Former Nc state defender Nate Weiss who accroding to the coaches at NC state is playing third division in Spain for a lower team of RCD Mallorca, was on trial with top flight Irish side Shamrock Rovers this past week, and was aparently doing very well from what the website says. Hebroke his nose in a trial game against Kildare county and now must wait untill the signing window opens again. Rovers have said that they are waiting on the results of his injury untill they ask him back again.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. dukefan27

dukefan27 New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I don't understand where this came from. All of a sudden this kid is playing in spain and now going to sign first division in Ireland? He was never on any websites for Americans playing abroad. Anyone know anything about it?

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If he was playing college ball in the fall and has recently gone overseas, I'm sure he's one of many guys who have gone abroad to lower divisions we don't (yet, I hope) know about. And if he was playing in the Spanish third division, there's even more reason to have not yet found out what's up.

By the way, nobody named Weiss was listed as having appeared in the 2/8/08 Rovers/Kildare game according to the club's match report -- though this may imply that he was unnamed as a trialist:

1 Karl Coleman
    2 Ger O'Brien
    3 Pat Flynn
    4 Daragh Maguire
    5 Barry Ferguson
    6 Danny O'Connor
    7 Eric McGill
    8 Stephen Rice
    9 Eoin Doyle
    10 Dessie Baker
    11 Sean O'Connor

Substitutes Used:

16 Keith O'Neill
    17 Dave Tyrell
    18 Robbie Creevy
    19 Chris Mulhall
    20 Ross Moran
    21 John Martin ​

No mention of a broken nose either.

Link:
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/reports/2008_08_Feb_vKildare.php

Looking for more.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nate's team in Spain is UD Arenal, where it looks like he'll be finishing out the season.

6. Sporting Fan

Sporting Fan Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Weiss' club Arenal is actually in the Fifth Division which is called the Regional Preferente. His club was in the playoffs for promotion to the Fourth Division (known as the Tercera), but lost in the playoffs.
    Based on the fact that there are (120 teams in the First 3 divisions and 384 teams in the Tercera) it is safe to say that Arenal does not pay its players, so that is why he would be ELATED to go to Ireland..

7. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally know two guys that left UNC at played a season in the Oberliga without a word of mention on Yanks-Abroad.com or this board. This type of thing is much more common than you think.

FYI both of them are back in the states and have taken up real jobs after earning in the 15k range for their first and only pro season.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nate and UD Arenal won promotion this past season, but it looks like he may be moving on. Seems he's currently on trial with Irish second division team Monaghan United.

9. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
  10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Weiss from Y-A.com.

Apparently a move to Serbia fell through and he went back to Sweden and signed with a "third division club". Unfortunately, he's referring to the Swedish Division Three, which is the fifth level of Swedish football. It sounds like he's hoping to hook on with a bigger club in Sweden.

12. ncstate99

ncstate99 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    I really hope the kid makes it. I was a coaching in the NC area when he played for NC state, and he works harder than any kid I've ever seen.
    I remember hearing from the coaching staff at State that he was in Turkey doing preseason with a Serbian club, and that he was signed already...

13. ncstate99

ncstate99 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Weiss is back in Israel again for the second time trying to get a deal with a team (last year he trialled with Hapoel Kiryat Shmona). I find it unbelievable given his inability to crack a real European team that he keeps trialling with clubs in Israel's highest tier. I think that he should try for the second division like Bryan Gerzicich did. Now Gerzicich is in the top league because his club got promoted.

Anyway, Nate arrived today and is trialling with Hapoel Beersheba, the club that Ryan Adeleye is contracted to.

http://www.one.co.il/Article/145482.html (in Hebrew)
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3786826,00.html (in Hebrew)

16. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I know Nate Weiss from his time in Florida and I still keep in touch every so often. He did ok in Ireland with Longford Town and used that to get a trial in Sweden with DIF who loved him. They were in the middle of the season and couldn't get him approved by their board to get him a visa in time for the season so I think he just played with Orebro because he was running low on funds. Visa issues have been a big problem in breaking in with Europe but it hasn't an issue in Israel which is why he is there again.

Things seem to be progressing well in Israel as his current trial has been extended because the team is seriously interested in signing him. As another poster mentioned, he's one of the most dedicated and intense guys I know and he has made himself into a serious player by sheer force of will (I used to be faster and stronger than him back in the day!) so I hope something works out for him. Somebody keep this updated if they hear anything about him getting signed.

17. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3789638,00.html

On October 13, Hapoel Be'er Sheva, played city rivals Maccabi in a friendly in front of 500 supporters. Weiss went 30 disappointing minutes for Hapoel before the club decided to release him. No idea if he went anywhere from there.

20. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El El Netanel (in Hebrew)
    Ma'ariv

Interesting article about Nate Weiss. Use Google Translate. It talks about his whole career thusfar.

22. PsychSpider

PsychSpider New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Just spoke to Nate Weiss and he signed a contract in the highest Latvian league with FK Jelgava (www.fkjelgava.lv). He told me that there were some second-division Israeli teams interested but that they were not ready to sign him and he got a guarenteed offer from a Latvian team that scouted him when he was in Sweden. I can't tell you too much else as google translator doesn't do the best job with Latvian to Englsih.

Nate seemed pretty pleased to be playing on a European club and to be playing regularly again. I hope he brought his long underwear as we natives of Florida think it is cold when it is less than 10 degrees celsius. I haven't been to Latvia, but if it is the same as Sweden then he's probably neck deep in snow and freezing his balls off!

Good luck Nate!

23. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States