NASL/USL Merger?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Owen Thornhill, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I don't see how you can't consider Ottawa and Edmonton Not Div 2 Standard. Not that they'll be in the league very long. But I don't see Edmonton jumping ship because their owner has a number of Class B Stock in NASL that he'll want to get back something on his investment.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It depends on how many teams the league actually has for 2017 but I like the idea of 4 conferences. The map seems to work out pretty well that way. I would probably have the Texas teams in a Central conference instead of the South and some other moving around but that won't be clear until we see the actual list of teams.

Speaking of that, Nashville doesn't start until 2018. There are reports that Montreal will shut down their USL team. I'm also skeptical that some of the NASL teams like Puerto Rico, Miami, and San Francisco will move over but we shall see.

Also, why don't you think Rio Grande Valley is D2? Their owner has money and their stadium opens up in 2017.

3. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said not perfect. literally spent 5 minutes drafting it up. We could debate a placement or classification here and there, but the basic premise is still relevant. Either structure is doable. an bottom line, I look at it and think it would be for the good of soccer in the US. Much more stable for all involved.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And all it took was seven years and a bunch of invective, millions of dollars and more non-cooperation!

SoccerPrime repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great if a new team wants to join the USL, they should have to play in Div3 and and win it to move up. Of course, the $200 million check and a stadium would be needed to move from Div2 to MLS.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the plan when they went USL-1/USL-2. They said that when USL-1 was "full" (I forget what that meant at the time for them), the only way into USL-1 would be through USL-2.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that was Tim Holt's line when he was the man. Still a good idea. Has some merit.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't recall, did any teams ever take advantage of that semi-pro/rel thing they had going on back then?

9. pletch99

pletch99 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Winchester, England
    I seem to recall Cleveland Stars accepted promotion from USL-2 to USL1 and only lasted one season.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good memory. As memory serves too the Richmond Kickers self relegated in the mid 2000's from USL1 to USL2.

11. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    so the USSF has stepped in & decided that both the USL & the NASL are Division 2 leagues. I guess somehow the NASL will stay in business. I wonder what the Indy XI are preparing to do. I heard rumors that this side wants to migrate over to the USL like Ottawa Fury & Tampa Bay Rowdies did.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only there were a place to find such information. :)

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a merger by any stretch of the imagination. But maybe more like picking up scraps off a carcass.

Blando13 repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did someone say carcass?

[​IMG]

artml repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this thread gets visited about the same time each year and its not even 2 years old..........

Dec 28, 2015

I'd kind of like them to keep the NASL ball though, even if the league folds......

[​IMG]

17. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    With the Deltas and Edmonton Folding, North Carolina Moving to the USL, what are the chances that the league survives into 2018? Would Jacksonville, Indy, Puerto Rico, Cosmos, and Miami, OC, and San Diego move to the USL? If so that would be a real beefy USL that is approaching 40 teams. Would this be the start of USL2/3/4?

Personally I would like to knock it off with these MLS2 teams, fold them all, or move them to another city/ stadium all together. Seattle and Houston got it right with having their D2 team far enough away from their MLS Father. Seattle is moving to Tacoma in 2018. Houston is "Rio Grande". Both will continue to draw well. Sadly though... all other MLS run teams are floundering at the gate.

It is exciting to see where the MLS/ USL will be going in the years to come. I do think however that the USL needs to Split into USL D2 and USL D3. They can do Promo and relegation. It would bring a bigger excitement to the league. It may show MLS a thing or two as to how they can make a DC United/ New England Revolution game in October be exciting for the fans when both teams are struggling to maintain their D1 Status.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Zero chance of Puerto Rico, Cosmos or Miami joining USL. The other teams? Maybe. Either way USL is not splitting vertically. They have already said that when they get to 36 teams they will switch to 3 conferences instead of the current 2. They would have to get to 48 or so before they would think about 4 conferences. USL already has 9 teams joining over the next few years. A couple more ex-NASL teams is not going to change their basic strategy and structure.

BTW, USL3, a D3 league, is starting in 2019. It will not be linked to USL through promotion/relegation.

Seattle is moving their MLS2 team to Tacoma. That is 20 miles from where they play right now in Tukwila. That's is almost the same distance away that Swope Park plays from Sporting Kansas City although it does sound like they might be moving to Children's Mercy to meet the D2 guidelines.

"Continue to draw well" is also interesting since S2 is 26th in USL attendance at about 1,000 people per game. That is pretty much the same as LAII, OCB, Swope Park, and TFCII. Bethlehem Steel, Real Monarchs, and Timbers2 draw twice as well. They are the better pure MLS2 teams on attendance. We shall see how the new Seattle/Tacoma 2 team does.

USL is not going to promotion/relegation. One of the things helping their growth is the regional nature of the league. They are creating conferences where teams are close together. That is working and the league is really growing. Teams have certainty and relatively low, predictable costs. Going to promotion/relegation would destroy that.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

GalaxyKoa and athletics68 repped this.
  20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I guess pro/rel did work on some level for NASL right? They got their whole league relegated, and likely eliminated completely from existence.

Seriously though, why is it always pro/rel with these people?

GoDawgsGo and The Irish Rover repped this.
  21. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro/Rel is what is done with the Premier League, the greatest, bestest league in the universe.

That's it. They can harp about the "benefits" of the concept, but fail to ignore how the Premier League is controlled by 5-6 teams every season and the other 14 clubs try to avoid relegation. If anything, they support a "Big Spender" philosophy, where you are rewarded by wealth, not talent.

Arguing with them is an exercise in failure.

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently they will merge one team at a time. The latest is North Carolina
    :rolleyes:

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. They always ignore the ruinous effect Pro/Rel has on those unlucky teams that get relegated too. Many of them don't just get relegated from the top flight, they go into a virtual nosedive financially and on the table. I always use Portsmouth as the most ready example I've seen personally. They dropped like a rock and didn't arrest the fall until they'd nearly been knocked out of the Football League entirely landing low table in League Two.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't be the last if NASL folds. Teams like Indy and San Diego could be making the jump. We should know in about two weeks. No injunction from the Appeal's Court, no NASL.

25. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Portsmouth went full blown bankrupt and were sanctioned by being dropped to the bottom of the professional pyramid in England. I think Blackpool might be a better example but I take your point.