NASL To Launch Canadian League Under NASL Banner

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USAUnited33, Jul 10, 2014.

1. USAUnited33

USAUnited33 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (For some reason, your link LOOKS right, but directs me to a different story. This is the right link, hopefully.)

I'm not sure they'll have to bring more teams into the league, at least not super quickly

Peterson just said they'd like to have 20 teams in the next four years (including Miami, hah!). At the moment, they are going to have 12 teams next year (because Virginia isn't happening in 2015, if at all). Exactly two of them are in Canada. If Edmonton and Ottawa go and join a Canadian-only league (good luck, first off), they'll still have 10 US-based teams, plus the supposed seven in Canada.

While Hartford and somebody else appear to be more solid than others, they are going to be adding teams anyway if even a handful of the rumored cities come to fruition.

As for which cities....those have been debated and listed and arranged into divisions ad nauseum over the years.

3. USAUnited33

USAUnited33 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the link. There was another article about Canadian teams starting an NASL up north.

If this does come true I think it may be difficult for the NASL to gain more teams in the league. If they decide to bring in cities that already have an USL pro club then NASL will have to compete against a club affiliated with a MLS team which could make it difficult and could really saturate the amount of clubs in those cities. There are a lot of soccer fans in the USA but I don't think there is that many to satisfy MLS, NASL, and USL pro. So does NASL go after USL cities or stay away from both MLS and USL cities?

4. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CSA, CFL and NASL to launch Canadian League

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/i...-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

"CSN has confirmed that the CSA is involved in negotiations with the CFL and NASL to launch an all-Canadian league.

There could be as many as seven teams involved, all affiliated with local CFL teams and playing in CFL stadiums."

If this comes to fruition setup would apparently be similar to MLB with 2 leagues under the NASL banner and the Canadian League playing some games with the American League and champions from both leagues playing in The Championship for Soccer Bowl.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would mean you could "win" a seven-team league and get the chance to win their Soccer Bowl under their third or fourth different championship format in a handful of years.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you just answer your own question?

Why would it be harder for them to get more US cities in the league if there's a Canadian-only league?

There are several markets that currently have neither an NASL nor USL Pro team.

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 80 markets with 750,000+ population in the 48 states and Canada. Markets are not the issue. Making even more puzzling NASL's consideration of a Miami team with Ft Lauderdale there, Beckham MLS coming and the area's general poor attendance of sports teams LeBron doesn't play for.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CFL markets: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, Regina. I imagine the CSA won't care for USSF's 750k rule. Maybe Quebec City gets into this as well. I imagine this league would have teams in the 3 MLS cities and go head to head in those markets.

9. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CFL markets: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, Regina. I imagine the CSA won't care for USSF's 750k rule. Maybe Quebec City gets into this as well. I imagine this league would have teams in the 3 MLS cities and go head to head in those markets.

10. USAUnited33

USAUnited33 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I was meaning to ask is do you guys think that putting teams in smaller city or metro areas is a good business decision? Putting teams in Birmingham, Al and Hartford, though it is expansion, do you think it will help the league become successful? We don't want to end up like USL Pro and accept teams and then they fold the next season. I just wanted to hear your opinions.

11. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to have strong committed ownership and good stadium in a unsaturated sports market of 1.2 or 1.3 million than be in a more traditional, saturated major league market without strong ownership or good stadium.

I wouldn't be surprised to see NASL do pro/rel with a NASL2 lower division it creates once it gets past 20 teams. It would create some differentiation. Getting 20 teams may prove hard if the incentives to be in D2 over D3 don't improve.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ********ing way they do that.

They'd get crushed.

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, they won't outdraw the MLS teams but perhaps they can carve our their own niche in a different part of the metro area and draw 8-10k per match. That's great NASL attendance.

14. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The three MLS markets will likely opt out."

Prosoccercdn, Bluesfan and kenntomasch repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where else in Vancouver's metro area are they going to play and draw 8-10k per match (something very, very few second division clubs have done that aren't competing with an MLS team)? Swangard? It doesn't seat that many.

Where else in GTO are they going to play and draw 8-10k per match with a second division team, exactly?

Where else in Montreal's metro area are they going to play and draw 8-10k per match?

Name for me the lower-level team that has played in "a different part of the metro area" anywhere in American soccer history and drawn great numbers with a well-funded higher division team in their market.

Perhaps they could all play in the eye of a needle and get to the kingdom of heaven, too.

Bluesfan repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and your READING.

17. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Essentially this is a contraction of two NASL teams. Whether they play each other in the "Soccer Bowl" is irrelevant. If the Canadian teams were brought into the NASL as is it would put their status as a USSF DII league in jeopardy.

It will have to be two separate entities meaning NASL loses two teams. IMO this is a huge gamble by NASL that will leave them very vulnerable if one or two of their "big" clubs get poached.

18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA? :)

Joking obviously. I don't have examples but it doesn't seem like it should be an impossible business accomplishment

19. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada's partnership with the NASL could decide the future of soccer in the country:

Could it work? There's at least some reason to think it could. Canadians have generally warmed to soccer and these teams could probably draw in the 3,000-5,000 range without too much trouble. But, at least based on the attendance numbers at FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury, this league is hardly poised to overtake MLS anytime soon. A bunch of teams playing in 30,000-seat CFL stadiums would also look a lot like MLS 1.0.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/7/10/5888801/nasl-canada-partnership

sawillis repped this.
  20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There are currently three top 20 US metro areas without a pro club (San Diego, Detroit, and Baltimore), four if you count the Inland Empire as a separate market from LA.

In metro markets greater than 750K, there is about 30 available (although some of those markets are subsets of larger MSAs). So, yes, I think the NASL can be successful by concentrating on 'minor-major' markets like Birmingham, Hartford, Fresno, Bakersfield, Milwaukee, etc. In fact, their survival is going to depend on it. The good news is that AAA baseball and the AHL both use the same template: lots of second tier markets with a few top tier and third tier markets as well.

I think if Canada is going to have its own D2 league, a league supported by the CFL owners is its best chance for success. Hopefully they will have some inter-league play with the US clubs. I think they went with a Canadian league under the NASL banner for a couple good reasons. First is they can have different player rules, thereby allowing the CSA to call the shots on number of foreigners and what constitutes a foreigner. Second big advantage is that by having two separate leagues, the USSF's 75 percent rule is effectively put to rest permanently and I can be spared the hand wringing of idiots on Big Soccer fearing that the USSF is going to suddenly yank the NASL's sanctioning. The third advantage of the CFL kick starting a Canadian division of the NASL is that it effectively will lock the USL Pro out of all the choice Canadian markets. That of course is a small victory in the chess match being waged between the two leagues, but it's a start.

Blando13 and Sam U El repped this.
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The league is going to be set up like MLB. They are not putting themselves at risk. No more likely than the National League choosing to opt out of the World Series. Read the other thread and I detail three very good reasons for this type of setup.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  22. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    What makes you think the NASL has the clout or brings enough to the table for US Soccer to look the other way? Essentially this is a contraction of two NASL clubs to the CSL. If MLS poaches Minn U, Indy or San Antonio in the next few years NASL could be on life support.

23. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  24. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    This is a HUGE gamble by NASL...MLS essentially can kill the league in the US if it chooses to. Although it does make sense for them to invest in Canada for that very reason though.

25. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Why would the USSF need to 'look the other way'? I don't get you guys who think that the USSF is sitting there up in Chicago, dagger in hand, just waiting to pounce on the NASL. News flash, the folks in Soccer House really are pulling for the NASL to succeed and have proven very supportive of what they are doing. Get that through your heads.

Also, the clubs are not being contracted. The league is going to be one league, but the clubs will essentially be governed by the rules of their respective associations. That is a win win for all involved.