NASL (the real one) Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Mateofelipe, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if any of you farts out there are quite as old as I am, but the passing of Ron Newman inspired me to start this thread. Here is my tribute to Ron: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/rip-ron-newman.2086455/
    Now tell me all about Alan Hinton, Tony Chursky, et al. if you can.

Chesco United and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I was on the dry side of the state and a wee bit young for OG Sounders. Afraid they didn’t factor into my youth at all.

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I attended two Sounders games in the Kingdome - against NY Cosmos and Houston Hurricane. My biggest memory from the former was trying to figure out which bus to take to get home. My biggest memory from the latter was watching Tommy Hutchinson run.

4. Geoduck

Geoduck Member

Sep 24, 1999
    I remember Roger Davies, Bruce Rioch, Steve Buttle, Frank Barton, Alan Hudson, Ian Bridge, and Jack Brand from the 1980 team that did so well. I don't remember any individual moments very well, except for a game from the Kingdome (broadcast delayed on Mondays on KCTS-9) where Alan Hinton got ejected, put on a show arguing with the ref, and then took a seat in the first row of stands. :laugh:

What was the story behind Alan Hinton's long-running feud with Ron Newman?

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington State Legends of Soccer
    This morning brings sad news. Jimmy Gabriel – the original Mr. Sounder, our captain and later our coach – has died. He was 80. Jimmy's spirit, his teachings, his fire – they burn on. A legend at Everton, Southampton and Seattle. Our prayers and condolences to the Gabriel family.

Chesco United repped this.