NASL & the Americas Champions League

Discussion in 'NASL' started by DanGerman, Dec 15, 2015.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can also say that the best club often does not win MLS Cup or NASL SoccerBowl every year.

Matthew Johnson and artml repped this.
  2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say one of the top couple teams wins the MLS cup or NASLsoccer bowl every year. Maybe not the best but one of the best.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, because no NASL team has ever made a serious run (and no minor league club has either, since MLS has been maturing) should they not have to prove, via the Open Cup, that the league is worthy of direct entry into this tournament?
    As it stand right now, we can all agree that no NASL team is anywhere near being on the level of the better MLS clubs....not even close. The league should have to prove it's strength, just like MLS has to, to earn spots. Let's say MLS gets 3 direct entries, if those 3 clubs do very well, perhaps the league will get a 4th, and a 5th spot. Just like the World Cup where they try to determine the number of spots each confederation gets based on the number of genuine contenders. The ACL would need to see proof that NASL has enough quality to be given a spot. They could do that by winning the Open Cup, using that entry and doing well in the ACL.

kenntomasch repped this.
  4. Eric Shinn

Eric Shinn Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I wouldn't do that far, the New York Cosmos are clearly a solid organization on the field, and are on par with the bottom rung of MLS franchises right now. So yes, the MLS teams are on the whole better, but to say no NASL team is even close is flat out incorrect. I'd even throw Minnesota in there as well as an example of a team that would be on par with the lower part of MLS sides.

bnyc repped this.
  5. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva has fired former Senator George Mitchell as an adviser to help create this tournament.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always a good sign for project completion.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly one of the ten best NASL sides.

Few championships are ever won by bad or mediocre teams. (The 1984 Padres notwithstanding.)

AndyMead repped this.
  8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....someone doesn't want to get his hamds dirty.

9. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It will be interesting to see how this summers Copa America does financially. If it performs well I can see some MLS clubs* joining LigaMX one's as invitees to Copa Libertadores.

To be frank, the rest of CONCACAF is dead weight. Include a provision that if a non-LigaMX or MLS team wins the CCL they get to go but leave it at that. Why would any rational club owner/organizer want them in a tournament? To increase costs, while lowering per game revenues (no one pays to watch Sporting KC take on a semi-pro team from T&T) and causing the deminised winnings to be divided more?

This is the kind of pie in the sky, head up the ass, musings of the NASL and its fanboys that make everyone else not take them seriously.

*It should be noted that last years MLS CBA includes provisions for Copa Libertadores incentives. Not sure if it is new but interesting none the less.

10. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Single post schizophrenic much?

Seriously, that is an interesting addition to the MLS CBA, but I'm not sure if you are quoting someone else or what is going on here at all.

Sam U El repped this.
  11. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm speaking in general. If this summer's Copa America is a financial success I can see some MLS teams being invited to the Copa Libertadores but the idea of a new joint CONMEBOL-CONCACAF super tournament on the level people are talking about is insane from a business standpoint.

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Has this proposed tournament fizzed out due to lack of interest or have I not been able to find the links that indicate continuing developments on this?

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    My guess is that no sponsers are willing to commit money, so another fantasy league goes the way as so many before it.

To the land of dead links.

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the acquisition of MP & Silva by private equity is causing some projects to get delayed. In my experience, that type of thing puts plans to invest effort unrelated to the acquisition on the shelf for about 3 months. Then it takes a little time to reprioritize projects after the acquisition completes.

Riccardo Silva seemed to be driving the vision there so a question would be does this project stay with MP & Silva or does it leave to a new venture with Riccardo Silva. It probably depends on whether the PE firm cares about the concept or not.

Sam U El repped this.
  15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    It can also cause a lot of cancellation of projects. Also this would be a huge project, big projects take time, and there tends to be periods of little or no news. So it is hard to say where the state of things are. Overall I feel like it was more of a , "You know what would be a cool idea?" kind of project that companies sometimes like to try than a serious one.

Matthew Johnson and Sam U El repped this.
  16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a former NFL commissioner and former US senator on the advisory board, it is a bit more advanced than just cool idea phase:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oins-board-for-all-americas-soccer-tournament

USAsports6, Hill Giant and Sam U El repped this.
  17. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the article doesn't claim that any NASL involvement is being actively discussed; it's mostly the article writer's speculation. (And actually gives more reasons to not give NASL any bids; i.e. that MLS would walk away from the project.) The article also doesn't clear up the confusion of whether the 64-team tournament would be straight knockout or start with a group round. It does surmise that it would be Concacaf-only and Conmebol-only until the final 16.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Any word?:D

song219 repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just trolling now. :)

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what Ricardo Silva is up to these days?

22. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suing the USSF for lack of pro/rel.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he's not actually doing that.

It's not a lawsuit. It's a request for arbitration.

The shorthand of "suing USSF" is the same superficial nonsense that brings us "the fourth division" when no such thing exists.

There is no lawsuit.

USSF is not being sued.

A lawsuit is an actual thing, not a grandstanding play dreamed up by two guys who have been involved in American soccer for an hour and a half each.

jaykoz3 and SoccerPrime repped this.
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more like tattle-telling. Not as American as suing but close.

SiberianThunderT and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    More like a spoiled little kid holding his breathe to get what he wants, or screaming wildly out in public to the same end.