NASL temporary Sanctioned

Discussion in 'NASL' started by eclipse02, Nov 18, 2010.

1. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well good news and bad news.

No more Canada teams (in the short run) Minnesota can move to Ottawa after Montreal leaves (maybe) Minnesota could get a new team in 2014-2015 if the money is there, and there will be D-2 Football in 2011.

3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    At least the USSF is willing to work with the NASL from what it sounds like.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so they have temp. sanctioning until Feb. when the USSF will make the final decission. what good does that do any of these teams? It puts them in the same boat as last year giving the front offices about six weeks to sell season tickets, get sponsors, promotions, schedule the season and all the other things that these teams should be doing now.

Why not make the decision now? why wait until Feburary?

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Yes, I am sure that players and fans and sponsors and etc... all love that ''temporary sanction''

6. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is, what does "temporary sanctioning" mean?

Does it mean the decision for 2011 is being delayed until February, as you think, and as I thought at first?

Or does it mean they're good to go for 2011, and then NASL would have to apply again for 2012? But in that case, what does February have to do with anything? What will change between now and then?

I wish the news story about this was written more clearly. If they mean the latter, "provisional sanctioning for 2011" would be a much better way to put it.

I swear, even when we get some news about this mess, it only raises more questions...

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I think we will know more after MLS CUP.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a great marketing campaign to make the decision during MLS Cup.

9. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Well in a way it's an extension. "Hey we know you guys are trying but you really need to get your sh*t in one pile."

Having a Feb deadline is the USSF way of giving a deadline. This being soccer in the US, I'm sure that deadline is written in sand on a very wet beach with the tide coming in.

10. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this as big problem. Apparently, AC STL is waiting for NASL to be "sanctioned" before a potential buyer will move forward. This "temporary" situation may delay (or derail) that purchase. And, as stated above, it puts everyone in a hold position until February when they may or may not get the green light for the season. More evidence that this whole US Soccer situation is ridiculous.

11. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    temporary sanctioning for nasl

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I wonder if the Silverbacks are just a placeholder, waiting for ACSTL to get its act together, and then say, "Ha, just kidding," and bow out again. The 'Backs getting into the fold at the last minute seems fishy. Of course, they practically played their whole season mostly on the sly when they did play, their schedule known only by a select few, those who knew where their website was, and thought to look at it every once in a while.

Of course, it's all speculation on my part; we still have the right to speculate without repercussions, don't we? :confused:

13. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps.

I'd like to hope that USSF is actually making an effort to review the bid and its teams seriously and not just wasting everybody's time. How silly will it look for them if your scenario is true?

Are there any fees associated with the bid process?

14. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or, this could be to give time to Minnesota to extract itself from any potential Ottawa conflict (with the new Canadian FA decree). Also allow St. Louis to get its house in order before the final bid in case Atlanta or Minnesota need to drop out?

I've got to have some kind of hope that all is not lost here in St. Louis. :(

15. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Is it safe to say there is a good chance the league will get the ok in feb.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any updates from the meeting? I tried finding a link on twitter but nothing.

17. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

still waiting to hear...

18. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've often felt we need an over-arching organization to bring all levels of soccer in the US into some sort of order but after watching how badly USSF has handled everything since the split i'm thinking we might be better off just letting money-hungry egomaniacs continue to wag the dog.

19. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yep, another possible scenario.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    David, the RETURN OF THE GLORIOUS SILVERBACKS will be on april 9th against Minnesota

More information on www.nasl.com

21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not looking good for AC St. Louis. This doesn't sound like they're leaving room for a last-minute addition.

"The NASL will play the 2011 season with eight teams..."

"Other matches include...NSC Minnesota Stars at Atlanta Silverbacks..." (so both Atlanta and Minnesota appear definite)

23. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Im hoping the worst case Senario is that they just take a year off to get their house in order. (fingers crossed)

24. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Recently, Brian Wellman of the Carolina RailHawks confirmed that if the sale of AC St. Louis does take place and if the proper paperwork is submitted to the NASL they could still join the league, making a 9th team."

from http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2010/11/22/ussf-approves-nasl-bid-for-sanctioning-of-division-ii-soccer/

25. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States