NASL/NPSL Relationship

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Prosoccercdn, Nov 14, 2013.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except AAA baseball players are actually good. And there are fewer of those "4A" guys than you think. And the NPSL is not exactly AAA-level.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they're not likely to actually be reserve teams. They're going to be teams of college guys to whom the NASL team has no real claim or dominion or control over, plus guys whose best days are behind them.

How's it going to "eventually pay off?" exactly? (Or is that what you're asking?) Guys who would actually have the opportunity to be Division II-caliber players at some point aren't going to play for an NASL team's "reserves" if they can get a professional, paid contract elsewhere (whether in the USL or in Scandinavia or something). The level of professionalism in the NPSL just isn't there.

Bingo. And the occasional Luke Mulholland, who I believe is a really good soccer player, but might be a tweener.

You have to control a player to be able to sell him. There is no evidence that NASL teams are going to "run" NPSL teams (i.e. pay the freight) and stash guys they control and keep them from making money elsewhere so they can ride in 18-passenger vans to Miami only to have the game cancelled while they're in the locker room because the opponent is out of money. So those guys are going to be free to go wherever.

Players play where they have the ability and the opportunity to play. Just like there are not tons of overlooked international-level players toiling away in the barrios of this country, no matter what Phil Schoen thinks, there aren't tons of players playing in amateur leagues who are good enough to play at a high professional level, or who would be with "just a bit of seasoning" (i.e. more games against crap teams on junior high school fields).

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn, you do a lot of talking about what the NPSL isn't, but what's that opinion based on - watching a few teams 10 years ago? How many NPSL games have you even seen in the past 2 or 3 years? Is it more then 5?

And there's already SOME player movement up from the NPSL to NASL. Just last season, the Georgia Revolution lost a guy to Atlanta http://garevolution.com/home/711235.html.
    The question here is whether the 60+ NPSL teams could legitimately provide "enough" talent to the eight NASL teams. Maybe they could, maybe not. But this whole "2-tier college players"is outdated info at best (check out NPSL Champion, RVA's roster http://www.rvafootballclub.com/Team.html - it's loaded with Division 1 guys).

Seriously, quit spouting old war stories about the Phoenix Mongoose (or whatever) and instead GO to a few NPSL games. Or you know, admit that you don't know that much about the NPSL (that's a perfectly acceptable position).

bullsear repped this.
  4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games do you figure I have to see when I see...organizations that fold halfway through seasons, that can't draw flies to their games at junior high school facilities, when they can't do stats, when they have no money, when they get locked out of their high school facilities because they can't make rent...when they change names on the eve of the season......and so on and so on?

Do you deny those things happen? They do happen. They happen a lot. And not ten years ago, this year.

Look at Detroit's roster. Look at most rosters around the league. RVA might as well be the Galaxy in this league. It's mostly Division II guys and guys who aren't going to be playing at a high level of professional soccer. Because those guys have other options.

I know you get your panties in a twist because YOUR team plays in the league and you think it's the greatest goddamn thing ever, but it isn't.

The NPSL's problems aren't a secret. They're pretty obvious. But you're a fanboy who does nothing but shill for the league. Would you like me to...oh, I don't know...travel all over the ********ing country going to games of your half-assed, would-love-to-actually-be-fourth-division league so you don't have to read what I say, or could you just resolve not to read what I say, fanboy?

5. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's say 5. Have you seen 5 NPSL games in the past two years? If you have, I'll say you're qualified to speak somewhat intelligently. If not, you aren't. Have you seen 5?
    They don't happen a lot. They happen about 2%-4% of the time. Judging the other 96% by that is foolish.

And the PDL (the other 4th-tier league) is significantly better? I doubt you can back that up with examples.

I read your posts because of the great work you do gathering and recording attendance. I comment because you mar that work with willful ignorance about the NPSL. It's my great fear that others will mistakenly attribute the quality of your work in soccer statistics with also having a competent knowledge of 4-tier soccer. You admit to having no interest in becoming familiar with the NPSL, yet you continue to speak as if you were. That prompts me to call out your lack of knowledge so that others might see a more accurate picture.

penske repped this.
  6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I like disposable razors.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

8. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, here's the story of Chris Klute, who played for the NPSL Silverbacks Reserves in 2011, got called up to the NASL main club and now plays in the MLS. http://www.npsl.info/home/771528.html
    Just one story, but it seems like a nice example of how a NASL/ NPSL relationship could pay off for the players.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    NASL - NPSL partnership is a natural fit. Many players can move up and down for numerous purposes. And this also creates an opportunity to build followings in different cities.

10. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the shift in popularity of soccer in America we have to move the conversation away from what soccer was to what it is becoming. Any industry in America to include sports is built upon supply and demand. It stands to reason that with Forbes showing that MLS teams are worth real money that others will want to get in on "some of the action." Becuase of this it also stands to reason that lower divisions are going to get more attention. In order for domestic soccer to progress forward it will require expanding more into the global soccer market but this will also require both infrastructure and structure within the United States to improve drastically.

I advocate that only the strong should survive in US Soccer. However I think that with the overall surge in popularity of American Soccer coupled with MLS/USL PRO partnership and the rebirth of NASL it should be considered natural for the roots to go deeeper and the overall pyrimid to be improved to support growth. I feel there will still be more failures at the lower divisions than success stories but in America I think that's the way it should be because it only serves to strengthen and enhance the overall game... and isn't that what we all ultimately want?

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  11. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I like some of the of things you are saying. But one thing to consider is that survival of the fittest will continue to exist (even when the dust supposedly settles). Ten years from now we really don't know what's going to happen with any of the three leagues. People will say that MLS will always survive (anything contrary would be blasphemous), or some may say that the NASL might become stronger, or that both may merge, or that one will eat the other up, or the USL Pro will expand or collapse. The truth is, none of us really know what's going to happen, no matter how many times anyone may write in a gazillion threads. But some do have a vision of what outcomes we can work towards. Bottom line is, that until there isn't a true coalition by the three leagues (some kind of defined network, even if each is independent), then there will always be "competition". The US and Canada are so unique in the global landscape of soccer. Where else in the world can you find 40 to 50 major cities to participate in a professional sport within two countries? This is why the NASL has the opportunity for growth, why the USL Pro is trying to seize on those locations, and why MLS wants to grow as much as they can before any other league can gain a solid footing. Will there be two "first divisions"? Trivial. Let's just enjoy the ride. Whatever happens, happens, so long as there is growth and everyone gets a chance to support a team of their own. Right now is the best time for the sport in North America. Let's hope that it only gets better for everyone.

TerminusFooty repped this.
  12. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    The more teams the better and there is a level (for every city over 50,000) to suit them. I'd love to see 24 mls team's 48 NASL teams, 96 USL PRO, 192 PDL and 384 NPSL teams and have promotion relegation but i can also hope for world peace. Similar chance of each happening.

13. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful. Many clubs in other countries (that have pro/rel) is field a reserve team in the lower divisions, I believe Real Madrid's reserves are (or are at times) in the second division.

14. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    With Barcalona and Malaga, They cant get promoted to the same division.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they can't if they have NCAA players on their rosters.

Unless they move up for just training reasons (not get paid), pro-paid players moving down may not be allowed under NCAA rules, unless they stop being paid I guess.

16. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Hey, I think you might have missed the point. I was referring to building something with the NPSL. I won't say much, but the NPSL in a couple of years will not be the one that we see today.

17. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And Indy Eleven Reserves will apparently make 3 NASL teams so far fielding reserve teams in NPSL for 2014.

Still no official word on OKC FC moving from PDL to NPSL and possibly becoming the OKC's NASL reserve team in the future.

18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #44 USRufnex, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    I think USL has a better case against OKC FC moving from PDL to NPSL than they did against last summer's move to the NASL-- even though it's obvious the non-compete clause was intended for the NASL, not the NPSL.

My wild guess about the future is that an attempt will be made in the next 2-3 years to start a professional level NPSL.
    This will be in full partnership with the NASL and the goal will be 3rd tier status eventually-- an "NPSL Pro" league that will attempt to compete with USL Pro if possible.
    The NPSL had an instant relationship with the NASL the day that Michael Hitchcock became commissioner.

***BTW, I have zero insider info on this prediction ever happening, nothing at all coming from Tulsa's FO... just a hunch... not saying it's gonna be any good or even marginally feasible...***

19. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I could see that as a possibility as well, a "Premier" NPSL Pro division added with the stronger, able, and willing organizations.

As for a OKC FC NPSL team I hope it happens, it would be a good rivalry for Tulsa and OKC teams.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you consider moving from PDL to NPSL a relegation. It's really more of a lateral move from an unstable poorly run below D3 league to an even more unstable and poorly run sub D3 league.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010