Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK sorry, I recently started following @3pointsport on twitter, and he tweets so much stuff, I guess I confused the Oakland Roots with the Oakland Stompers.

I'm still confused about all these new league acronyms. That was the real point of my post...

bobby_guzman repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I believe the Oakland -East Bay FC Stompers are playing in the current NPSL.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I mean a bunch of the leagues you listed aren't defunct...

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean it depends on if Miami FC and the Cosmos infect them with the insanity they infected the NASL with. If they accept they're a minor league and work to be the best minor league they can be, they might survive.

Personally I hope they make it. They're the first pro league to actually follow through on putting a team in San Diego rather than paying our city lip service like USL, NASL, MLS...

5. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ========================
    The proverbial alphabet soup of soccer leagues......
    As much as we complain about what MLS & USL are up to, this is still the most stable time period we have had for quite awhile. I wish USSF would not certify anymore more leagues even if they are in the same division/level. Other than pure politics and personal differences of opinion on how leagues are run, this is why this keeps happening. If everyone would put the game itself first, I can't believe with the "new" MLS/USL pyramid, there is not a budget level for anyone who wants to run a team.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Soccer leagues have come and gone and even though we've all questioned MLS and their borderline legal or even some would say "crooked moves" , at least they and the USL are the only two leagues who have survived and to a point, thrived for an extended period.

The ownerships and stadiums alone are something to be communed for. During the years of 1985 until 2005, if someone were to tell we would have 26 teams where the owners owned their own stadiums, I would have thought they were crazy.

Throughout history, I don't think there was any soccer league that lasted as long as both have. If the next ten years are anything like what the last ten have been, with the coming of World Cup 2026, there is no telling where both leagues can become. I'm assuming they will turn into something big. Maybe not on a par with the EPL, the Bundesliga, the Serie A or La Liga but certainly the biggest league outside of Europe.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stockton Football Club Joins the NPSL

[​IMG]

The leadership of Stockton Football Club includes Chris Hernandez, Dr. Bennet Omalu, and Abdelrahman Kurdieh.

Omalu, who will act as Vice President, is the world-renowned neuropathologist that served as the inspiration for the movie Concussion.​

Wow, it's the guy from League of Denial

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look Stoked.;)

tenfourteen repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This new-ish league has a gazillion teams. And they've got multiple teams in some cities. There are two of these in Portlandia! And like a lot of lower division leagues, teams come and go every year. And this is fourth division!

Still, I'm considering going to a match, though my local Community College are even closer, and they win a lot.

I think it's cool that there are lots of soccer teams in the US now. Soccer is no longer the next big thing, we have arrived. (Actually, I'd argue that we arrived some time ago, between 2005 and 2009.)

I don't see SF supporting a minor league team, but there are a lot of cities on the list that might do OK. Also, I think the criteria for success in this league is different than MLS or USL. They probably don't need huge attendance, but rather selling players on to other teams farther up the food chain.

We'll see what happens, but it's good to see lots of lower division clubs.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPSL isn't even connected to USL, in fact it's a rival league that USL is poaching teams from.

USL is
    USL Championship (second division)
    USL 1 (third division)
    USL 2 (fourth division, formerly PDL)

No pro/rel between them right now, but teams do seem to move up and down based on the league that best works for them, for example the Richmond Kickers are "self-relegating" from the second division to the third.

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m still having trouble understanding why businessmen are buying or supporting these 3rd and 4th division teams. There’s no money in it, right?

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the upside is greater than, say, minor league baseball. How many minor league baseball teams catch fire like Cincinnati or Louisville? And there is certainly no hope of moving up to MLB. Also, the more teams that join, the lower the costs, as a major cost in minor league sports is the travel.

Look at Phil Rawlins, in 2007 he started what was at the time a third division team, the Austin Aztex, for I'm sure very little money. In 2010 he moved them to Orlando and had immediate success on the field and in attendance, capturing MLS' attention and securing a MLS expansion team by 2013. They paid a $70 million expansion fee and joined MLS in 2015. As of the 2017 season the team is valued by Forbes at $275 million.

Beyond that who knows. Especially for markets that have no MLS chances and low attendance like Tulsa or Charleston...

In many parts of the world there can certainly be ulterior motives...
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1140 falvo, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Maybe it would be better if they invest in another team further away form the
    When I look at attendance numbers of LA2 & NYRB2 and TFC2 , I'm not sure how long the MLS owners will want to go with this (second team) investment. Same goes for the academies. Garber stated last week in the SOL address that owners are spending $100 million a year on the academy program and sooner or later, they are going to want to see a return on it.

The MLS second teams especially, certainly aren't making any money on attendance or tickets sold. Even though you won't make a lot of revenue by the amount of tickets sold, I doubt they are getting much money from TV or sponsors either.

They are probably using the main stadiums so I guess they don't have to pay rent but when you see NYRB and KC's Swope Park Rangers playing in a final as they did a few years ago and drawing 800+ fans, you can't help but think sooner or later, they will be folding their operations sooner or later.

upload_2018-12-14_4-3-13.png

Maybe it would be better if they invest in other teams further away from the main club as the Quakes are doing with Reno. I think it would be good for the Quakes to partner with a Bay Area team either in SF-Oakland or the peninsula. What happened to the Burlingame Dragons big plans?

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why MLS teams have a USL reserve team. That’s how they develop players to someday sell. In theory, one big sale like Alphonso Davies pays for your USL team.

What I don’t understand is the motivations for this new rapidly growing crop of non-MLS owners and affiliates.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people have more money than sense?

don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand why anyone needs their own yacht or jet or tricked-out RV, but these nouveau rich want all of them, and sometimes several of each. Guess every rich kid wants a soccer team as a stocking stuffer these days so they can keep up with Merritt Paulson and Anthony Precourt.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's what I meant to say, but I have to use lots of words. :)

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I keep coming back to the same line that the "teams and leagues are losing money"....

Why would any owner keep on investing in a sinking ship if he is losing so much money? .

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    tax write off cartoon.jpg

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ASL, USA /NPSL1, NASL 1, MISL ,AISA, USL1, WSA, WSL, ASL2, SWISL, SISL, SOSL,USISL, APSL, A-League, CISL, MISL 2, NPSL2, NPSL3 &4 , USL , USL Pro , D3, PDL, NISA, NASL 2 , MLS...

A bunch? Out of all those leagues listed, only two are still going strong. The PDL & NPSL are amateur outfits and NISA I don 't believe ever got off the ground. The NASL 2 will probably never come back.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't find any news anywhere. Is the New NASL folded for good or are they coming back?

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say the league is on hiatus, hoping to return in 2020.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are suing MLS and USSF. They expect to win. If they do, they might be able to bring the league back. I think MLS and USSF hope that they can delay trial long enough to make the issue moot. I expect NASL to win their lawsuit, but it might well be too late to make a difference.

And what brought them down this time was that Traffic was the main investor, and they got caught in the FIFA/CONCACAF scandal, so the rest of the NASL owners had to buy them out on extremely short notice. It didn't go well.

I'd be happy to see the NASL make a comeback, but I won't be heart broken if they don't.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark