Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have from what Twitter is saying. Dos Santos has a new club already and the players have all been released.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I know. I was poking fun at the "fan delusion" that you can't fold or move a pro sports franchise the year they won the championship.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happens all the time in US Soccer.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s sad this league and team can’t take off. I don’t like the outlaw stance the new NASL took but MLS didn’t and doesn’t help matters. Any Quakes fan will you that just since the inception of the league in 1996. Whichever way you spin it, San Jose was robbed of their players and championship winning teams. In a span of time, it wasn’t all that ago. The league did nothing to help us and I can’t forgive them for what they did.

I believe seeing another league and/or club fold is heartbreaking to any fan of the game. Again I’m not defending the NASL but I certainly won’t side with MLS or the USSF , for that matter.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I live right by Kezar, so it's a bummer for myself personally as it was a nice option to have to go games.

I was at that last game and the amount of kids who were super into it (like knew the players names and everything) made me sad. Knowing this was likely to happen, it brought me back to when I was a soccer obsessed kid who knew all the Quakes players when they just up and left.

It's a shame the owners couldn't absorb a loss for a couple seasons, because despite their crappy name and marketing I think the amount of families in the area looking for something like this would have made it work eventually.

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I happened to sit next to a charming 60-something couple for the final. They are life-long San Francisco residents and this was their third-ever soccer game, the first being the Deltas' regular season finale and the second the semi-final playoff. They had never even visited Kezar Stadium before. They were enticed by the recent San Francisco Chronicle article and were intrigued by what they saw "so close" (from the 14th row and beyond the warning track). they urged me to help them understand what was going on; for example, they were shocked to learn there were only three subs per side. They were also saddened to learn that this would be their last Deltas match, just as they were starting to embrace the game. I gave them my card and invited them to be my guests for a Quakes game in the front row next season. Hopefully we will gain some converts.

DotMPP, bobby_guzman, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its sad seeing a team fold or relocate. I don't think we'll see another team in SF for a long time.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, especially when you consider all of the history with that club...

bobby_guzman repped this.
  12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team needed to be called the San Francisco San Franciscans.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #988 falvo, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Too bad they couldn't make it work. I think folding of teams and/or leagues is terrible for anyone involved with the game from fans to players and coaches. With two other teams in southern California, the Deltas could have saved money on travel by playing each team four times. With the split season the NASL uses, that's half the schedule. If the NASL really want to make a go of their second division, they should consider starting a regional league.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. How much sense does it make for teams in California to travel to NY , Indy or Miami? Of course they will lose money.

14. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Every few years someone will try again here.

15. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    How on earth can you live in SF for 60 years and never have been to Kezar is beyond me.

16. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Actually 69-70 yards wide. A little narrow not awful. That said it was really long and really long combined with slightly narrow makes for a bad combination in my experience. Worse, it was quite muddy.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat simultaneously (or at least overlapping) was the USWNT game played at Avaya Stadium that same night.

The playing field (corner-flag to corner-flag) was widened a bit from Chris Leitch's near-ideal 74 yards to the fully-ideal 75 yards and it was awesome! :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know. Not only that, but they had no idea the stadium once sat 50k for Niners games. Rip van Winkle quality to them.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not unless they come up with a better plan. I say start a regional team in a regional league. Then maybe build from there. I don’t know much about this NISA but I’m assuming the costs and travel will be a lot less than they are in the nasl as they will be a third division. Maybe they can put a team in that league in a few years?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would need to be part of a coordinated west coast move by that league. And would need to be outside SF proper in a place like Oakland...

Or you know they could just join the USL and save themselves the league uncertainty. Maybe even affiliate with the Bay Area MLS team...

21. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    That hasn't stopped anyone yet!

California Victory redux.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah they had a worse plan than the Deltas. You think the latest addition would have learned from them.

23. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won and done is so sad:

falvo repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They seemed to have big plans when they came in and with a strong ownership group.

Even though we all pretty much knew this was the outcome, I still think it’s sad to see a team and/or league fail.

Sactown Soccer repped this.