NASL history 101

Discussion in 'NASL' started by penske, Dec 21, 2013.

1. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not an NASL squad, good try. They ever played an NASL game and were gone before the league started officially. You can't have it both ways.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay AC St Louis, although a founder of the NASL, wasn't an official NASL team. What was it you wanted again, a list of failing NASL teams? 2.0 right? I don't think any of them have failed yet, thanks to USSF enforcing rules and Traffic propping up failing interest from owners. Are we good now?

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the NASL started after USL didn't sell to the guy who owned ACSTL

4. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    #4 MakingGoals, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    A couple of errors. Both are partially right...
    AC St. Louis and Crystal Palace Baltimore both owned franchises in the NASL which they gained in November 2009. Both of these teams honored the territorial franchises (Vancouver and Baltimore) belonging to the NASL when the clubs placed their men's first teams to represent them in the USSF D2. So technically speaking, both clubs did have franchises and represented those NASL territorties in the USSF D2. They did not, however, play in the NASL solely sanctioned D2.

chapka repped this.
  5. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that matters is since the standards were enforced the league is stable. I have no love for the past failures of the 2nd division soccer but the fact is the standards are working and it's one of the reasons people like me want the NASL to succeed. Traffic supporting several clubs is no different then how AEG owned half of MLS. Expect Carolina news in the new year and that saga will be closed.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize you have agenda and the unfailing ability to always have the last word and be correct, but the reason we even started talking about failing franchises is because we were discussing San Francisco having the right ownership group. VA Cavalry was mentioned as an incompetent franchise. No other NASL club was harmed during the posting of this thread.

7. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Correction, the NASL officially started as a league in 2009, without sanctioning. The NASL franchises and clubs representing them played in the USSF D2.
    The NASL then gained sanctioning in 2010 as D2. The NASL ran its first season as a D2 sanctioned league in 2011. But the formation of the league started in 2009. Clear cut differences.

8. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they did. But, the owners started the TOA after USL decided to sell to NuRock instead of Jeff Cooper. Cooper was the owner of ACSTL.

I know all about what happened in 2009. It partially lead to the destruction of my team.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    #9 MakingGoals, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, that I know - how the clubs went their separate way to form an association that invested in forming a new league. In other words, people sometimes mix the two together. And sometimes people believe that the NASL was only "formed" when they received sanctioning in early 2011, which is not true at all. The NASL was officially solidified in 2009. TOA (the Team Owners Association) is not technically the NASL (the North American Soccer League). They are two separate entities. The clubs that broke away from USL-1 and formed TOA basically created a group that made decisions (for the future of their clubs) based on unanimous voting. This group had members (all the club owners) who wanted to form a new league. These investors created a separate organization (independent of TOA) known as the North American Soccer League. They are not one in the same per se. However, within the league certain concepts are carried over in terms of the board of governors where club owners have seats and can have a vote towards how they'd like the league to go.

Btw, which was your team, ACSTL?

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland.

11. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Ah, City!

Cleveland is a great place that has a lot of promise. Things are changing there. I would definitely like to see a top soccer team there someday.

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What kind of news? What will be "closed"?

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Ownership news and Traffic owning more than 1 team in the league.

14. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We've heard rumors down here for awhile now that Traffic was close to being out of Carolina. But right around Soccer Bowl time I think, I recall Neil Morris saying all was quiet on the ownership front in Carolina. But maybe they were keeping things quiet up there. If it's true, it's good news not only for Railhawks fans, but Strikers fans too.

15. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing down here, as far as we can tell, but the team is probably stable enough for Traffic to wait.

16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I read you lost NASL 2013 topscorer Brian Shriver to the St Pete Rowdies

17. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Honestly, the possible sale of the Strikers rumors are going around again too. Everyone always assumes Traffic will keep the Strikers, but I'm certain if they got the right offer they'd sell them in a moment. I've always kind of thought ultimately Traffic would end up with no teams or just Carolina. They couldn't ask for an easier situation then the Railhawks' long term I think.

18. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't say "St Pete Rowdies". I know you're joking, but ugghhh....

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  21. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    brentgoulet repped this.
  22. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    brentgoulet repped this.
  25. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 YankBastard, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Excerpts from Pele's book, Why Soccer Matters on how he came to the Cosmos and the NASL. It's a little long so I apologize.

...The first time I heard of the New York Cosmos was at a post-championship party in 1970 in Mexico City when I met two brothers from Armenia. The Erteguns told me about their desire to start a soccer team in New York City. "We're in the world's greatest city and we're going to create the world's best soccer team," one of them said. It was an interesting concept, but I must admit I promptly forgot about the whole thing. It seemed like one of those crazy ideas you hear at a party when everybody has had a little too much to drink.

...The idea didn't appeal too much to me at first. Well let's be honest, it was absurd! The Cosmos's general manager, a former British sports writer named Clive Toye, started trying to recruit me as far back as 1971, the year after the World Cup in Mexico. I was still with Santos at the time and Clive came to the team hotel while we were playing a game in Jamaica. He tracked me down by the pool where I was sitting in a lounge chair with Professor Mazzei. "We want you to bring soccer to America," Clive said, practically too nervous to breathe. "We think you're just the man to do it. Money is no object." Clive outlined some basic terms of the offer. He sat there talking while Professor Mazzei translated. I have to admit during that first visit I was only half-listening. I wasn't trying to be rude, but you have to understand I have been receiving offers to play outside Brazil for more than a decade by that point. Many of the best teams in Europe, including AC Milan and Real Madrid made fevered overtures over the years.....

...But American soccer? It seemed like a nut that couldn't be cracked....And despite all of Clive's promises, I was skeptical of the very American-seeming notion of whatever you didn't have you can buy. How would bringing me to The United States magically create interest in a country that already had four top rate professional sports leagues? It seemed ridiculous! I, too, was underestimating the power of soccer.

Clive Toye kept after me for years obsessively like some kind of crazed hunter. I was Moby Dick to his Captain Ahab. He even made the Cosmos' team colors yellow and green, the same colors that the Brazilian national team used, thinking that this might help seduce me. No matter how many times I politely told him no. How clearly I would say I would never, ever, ever leave Brazil. He would always show up again, lurking in a hotel lobby or making his way to the sidelines of my games. Each time he acted as if the conversation was the first we ever had. "We have this great team we're putting together in New York," he'd begin. Just as earnestly as the first time we talked. "We think you should come play with us for three years." I'd smile and listen, but I also didn't want to give him false hopes. "Thank you, but I'm very happy in Brazil," I'd say.

...Until I started to think, 'Hmmm maybe playing in New York City wasn't such a crazy ideal after all.' I won't try to disguise this. A big reason for my change of heart was the ill-fated visit from the accountant in late 1974. I. Owed. Millions. I was determined to pay the dept and knew that soccer was, by far, the best way to do so. The sums Clive was mentioning amounted the most lucrative contract in history, in any sport. But there were other reasons to that had absolutely nothing to do with money. One of Clive's best lines had to do with unique opportunity of bringing soccer to The United States. "Play for Real Madrid and you might win a championship," he would say. "Play for New York and you'll win a country!" This overture resonated with me a lot, actually. The Cosmos were not just offering an opportunity to play soccer, but to change it's whole culture in one of the world's most greatest and important countries.

...Finally, sometimes the little experiences that happen to us in life and the people we come across could have a huge affect on our decisions. One morning in Brussels, Belgium Clive showed up; lurking, smiling, in a good mood as always, at my hotel. I'd retired from Santos by this time and had played the night before at a charity game for the retiring Belgium captain, the great Paul Van Himst. Clive invited himself into my room and kept having to start his pitch over as a procession of international soccer superstars, guys like Rivellino of Brazil and Eusébio of Portugal, barged in to hug me goodbye. "Come on Pele, just three years," Clive was pleading. By that point, I had some interest in what this man was saying, but I remember that particular day I was in a hurry to leave Belgium and get back to my family in Brazil. Such a hurry, in fact, that I leaned down to pick up my suitcase and tore a giant hole in the seat of my pants. I called downstairs to ask if they had anybody who could quickly sow the hole closed. They sent up a maid who collected my pants and disappeared.

Clive was still making his case when, a few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. It was the maid again. She held the pants in one hand and a camera in the other. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. She stepped into the room, shaking, and handed the camera to Clive. "Please sir," she whispered, "would you take a picture with me and Pele?" The maid, whose name I'm ashamed to say I don't recall, told me that her husband had bought a ticket to the previous night's game. He had been hoping to see me play for the first time. Two weeks before the game, sadly, he died of a heart attack. So her son used the ticket and went to the game instead. The maid wanted a photo of me so she could give it to her son as a kind of memorial. Halfway through her story I was already crying. By the time she finished I was shuttering with sobs. The story was tragic and I felt profound sympathy for this woman and her son. Also, her story reminded me of the profound connection I forged with so many fans over the years as a soccer player. I'd been retired for a few months by this point, but that old feeling washed over me. Warm. Sentimental. Alive. It reminded me of my true place in this world. And I realized that for all my misgivings over the years about fame, I desperately missed the most basic and rewarding part of being an athlete: The bond with my fans. It wasn't too late to try to recapture it.

After the maid finished telling the story and Clive took several pictures of her and me together, I kissed her goodbye and she left the room. Then I turned to Clive. "Okay," I said, "I'll play for the Cosmos." Clive's eyes lit up like a child on Christmas morning! "Really?!" I nodded, smiling. He started running around the room, frantic, in jerks and stops, totally unsure on how to react. It was as if he'd never considered the possibility I might say yes. What to do now? I really liked Clive by this point so I just told him to relax and do what he needed to do. Finally he had me sign a piece of hotel stationary expressing my intent to play for the team. It wasn't quite that simple, of course. We needed to negotiate a real contract with agents and intermediaries and all those things. But the signed sheet of paper was a start. Many years later, Clive still had it in a frame hanging it in his office. 'GB Moder in Brussels,' the letterhead read.

Imagine. Me, a poor kid from Brazil, talked out of retirement by a British man working for an American soccer club with a Brazilian woman delivering the coup de grâce....

Sam U El and Prosoccercdn repped this.