NASL Future teams?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a team in SD, best thing you can do is go support your local teams.

I'll be there for the SD Derby, June 16 :)

mbsc repped this.
  2. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, both teams probably don't meet NASL requirements... why the hell don't they join forces?

ps: I can imagine the answer, but it's non-sense anyway.

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this might have come up before, but the short answer is they just can't find it in their hearts to do it. I think the rivalry, along with some of the turf wars that have happened (Balboa Stadium), have kind of left some bad feelings there. Also, the stress that comes with the possibility of leaving semi-pro and going pro is too much, and then they end up having trouble agreeing on anything.

I could be wrong. I hate to make assumptions without much information, but that is what I'm gathering: one team is just going to have to "win," so to speak.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collaboration is not usually something we do well here in American soccer.

Len repped this.
  5. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and these guys already collaborated once with the A-League Flash back in 1998-2001 timeframe. Yan Skwarawas the majority owner and Clenton Alexander was a minority owner.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you've collaborated with Yan Skwara once, that is why you did not collaborate with Yan Skwara twice.

mbsc and AndyMead repped this.
  7. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened there? I'm not familiar with the history...

8. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too sure, but I think it was "financial issues" that caused the team to go under. I don't live in the area and don't have any personal history. But, I would imagine that the investment in a soccer club with financial issues could be part of the problem. The understatement is intentional. :)

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what happened on the financial side, but I do remember when the team moved their home games from Southwestern College in Chula Vista to Mesa College in 2001 attendance went into the shitter.

Torero Stadium, where the WUSA team played, would make a nice NASL stadium though, so if we get a team I hope they play there.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  10. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more USL-Pro. If they want to go the NASL route, they may need their own SSS... And San Diego often scoffs when stadium issues come up for their beloved Chargers...

I mentioned it in another thread (or maybe this one, don't remember) that maybe tearing down Sports Arena and putting an SSS there would work... It's right in Point Loma, close to Mission Beach and OB and PB, not far from downtown or Old Town or Clairemont... Or there's plenty of space in Kearny Villa I'd say :)

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, strip clubs, IIRC.

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem here in SD will always be NIMBY's.

That has been bandied about for awhile but I believe the owners of the Sports Arena land didn't want to sell and decided to sell rights to Viejas instead of the group that wanted to trade land in a Chargers stadium deal.

I think the ideal spot will eventually be in the southbay.

13. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One have to win? maybe... I see what happened here with AlbinoLeffe: Albinese and Leffe merged they have two owners with a 50-50% deal and both are considered presidents of the team. I don't know if now something has changed, but it worked pretty well: in a few years they reached Serie B and remained there for 9 year... a nice feat for a team representing two towns that togheter have about more or less 23.000 inhabitants.

Could something like that work there?

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it could. I really think it's just a matter of getting Boca and Flash to get along... And then...SD United? Union SD? SD Armada? Or maybe even just FC Armada... I like that one.

I hope not... But yeah, you're probably right. The way local politics are in SD, I could see it eventually passing, but it would probably end up in Todd Gloria territory...

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is already a SD United but Union SD has a nice ring to it.

Well I don't mean all the way down in IB or in east Chula Vista. I mean in National City or West Chula Vista.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find.

Emphasis mine. So they can't be one of the oft-mentioned two potential expansion teams (one new, one established, one in the current footprint, one outside) that we're expecting to hear about, if they're just now expressing interest.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Union-Tribune SD?

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much my read of it. The guy is not one to work with if you want your endeavor to succeed. Frankly with how disjointed his SD Boca effort has been I wouldn't want them to include him anyway. The Flash organization has been running far more professionally off field of late and has been doing great on field since day 1. If they had more $ backing them they'd be well on their way.

But that's the rub at this point. They get the money and approval to move up, great. But with the Blues on the verge of calling it quits and no one else up even if the Flash made the move up they'd simply flash in the pan and die as the lone west coast team (pun intended). The only way this works is if the Flash come up as part of a package of 2 or 3 teams (and the Blues don't fold after this year (and preferably move into the IE away from the LA basin)).

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As would we all.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course if the Blue make the jump (in case it wasn't clear that them moving would be a pre-req of them being in the equation). Which frankly if they didn't move and remained USL Pro's lone money losing west team when there was another league with an actual division they'd be crazy.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but unless we go from 0 to 60 pretty quickly, the Blues would have to hold on until the Flash could afford to actually move up. It would seem unreasonable for them to join in 2013, wouldn't it? Barring an angel investor?

That would mean the Blues would have to hold on in USL Pro for 2013 and continue to lose lots of money (the owner said they'd be there in 2013, but I wouldn't necessarily hold him to that) before they jumped to the NASL where they'd likely lose a lot more money, or they'd have to jump to the NASL right away and lose all that lots more money straightaway.

Or USL could come up with a team close by to placate the Blues for a year, but, like I've said before, just one neighbor isn't enough to make a dent in a loss of potentially three quarters of a million or more.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that but what incentive would USL have to come up with a second west coast team if the Blues were just going to jump ship a year later to NASL. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the Blues because their involvement would be a long shot. But without their involvement that's just another team you need to add if you're NASL along with the Flash since you probably need at minimum 3 to make it work (and as you're fond of pointing out 4 works even better). If the Flash come up alone they'd just end up as the NASL's answer to the failing Blues.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason would be to get them to stay. I thought that was obvious.

I'm not sure the Blues in particular or the LA market in general are so important to USL that they'd do that, I'm just saying that as an aside, that if proximity would be what swung the deal for the Blues, you'd rather lose less money than more.

At this stage in the life of DIII, I don't know that a coast-to-coast setup makes sense. It may not make a lot of sense for DII, but they have to do what they have to do in terms of the USSF standards.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, the 2013 USSF benchmarks might be the ONLY reason the Flash would be rushed into the league along with the already planned Ottawa expansion (assuming no one else is on the table out west or in general to get NASL to 10 or more teams). But if they did the Flash would have to be subsidized in some form or again they'd end up like the Blues only faster due to the cost of running an NASL team. Given the uncertainty about the Flash's finances some form of support might be even more imperative.