NASL Future teams?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That IS interesting. Los Angeles Aztecs is one of the great names ever.

They'd still need somebody else out this way. And IF this is the "new" organization rumored, the other is an "existing" one, so, gentlemen, start your speculation.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked the PTO site, they say Los Angeles Aztecs is a dead trademark, abandoned years ago. Where are you looking?

3. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This could be nice for soccer...
    http://goo.gl/maps/vUF6

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Could be. Isn't. See my earlier post.

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, not happening for me. I must be doing something wrong because I get returned "No TESS Records." When I looked for it yesterday, I found dead ones originally owned by the original Aztecs. Oh, well.

[​IMG]

7. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good find! The listing includes several filings to cover it's use on clothing, and organizing soccer events. I wonder who the money is behind this team? Assuming it is the new team to be announced.
    I agree that this was a great name and I just bought a shirt from Bumpy Pitch because I loved the old logo.

I've run out of new speculation for the existing team. I think the key is the money required in the USSF standards. This limits our existing team pool to the usual suspects - Rochester, Orlando, Charleston and I'm adding Richmond based solely on owner wealth. I know the San Diego Flash has apirations to grow, but I don't know if they have the money.

The main question is - who owns an existing team with over $20 million? Any other ideas out there?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You overpaid. :) $19.99 on Throwbackmax.com.

Didn't we have this conversation? Rochester's always going to be put on a short list because of their prior experience there, the market and the stadium. Orlando, obviously, will reach a point where they've done all they can do in D3 and if MLS is more than a few years away, it may make sense for them. Charleston has absolutely no interest, nor does it make sense for them as an organization (their own words, they get to choose) at this point in time (and perhaps never). City Stadium in Richmond is simply inadequate. And the Flash, from what I'm told, may have aspirations, but current ownership couldn't do it alone.

Supposedly the Monsouris do. But you don't want that, do you? ;)

9. Real_Madrid_Fan

May 9, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    LA Aztecs would be a good thing for NASL and I think that Orlando and Rochester rise interest...

10. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did find it odd you have to search for the owner(NASL), not the team name for it to show up. But it's there.

Maybe it's just the league covering it's future bases just in case(to avoid any sort of Rowdies situation down the road), but it would be interesting if it's something legitimately in the works.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I got it now.

Along with Detroit Express, Atlanta Chiefs, Soccer Bowl, Minutemen, Atoms, Baltimore Bays and Roughnecks.

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh yes, TESS. We used that to leak that ECHL had filed the Orlando Solar Bears trademark a full month before the team was announced. :p

13. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So St. Louis, which makes sense from a lot of perspectives.

Still, it's a challenge there. Has long been.

New Mexico is certainly intriguing, though I don't think the Lobos are particularly relevant.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang I was hopping they would stop at 16-18 and keep a full regular season round robin. :(

17. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it just be one table, two games against each opponent, one home one away?

18. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Yea it would be 38 games at with 20 teams. It means the season would start in early March and end in November.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With playoffs that would be too much IMO
    I think 18 teams are the most in the USA and Canada for full round robin + playoffs.

There are about 39 weeks from March 1st to November 30th.

Early March can be really cold in many places in Canada and Northern USA, also the finals at the end of November could be very cold depending on the teams.

18 teams = 34 games
    +
    4 weeks of playoffs

Total 38 rounds.

I doubt that any league in North American would do awa with the playoff. (but that would be a solution for the 20 teams).

20. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think about playoffs... 38 games plus playoffs may be a bit much, but maybe it's time a US league tried experimenting with a European-style set up...

21. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if NASL pulled it off successfully, maybe Garber would get on board as well... Who knows!?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I do. I know. He wouldn't care.

23. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit!

You're probably right.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I love the debate about 18 vs 20 teams when this league has ..... eight. Talk about the cart before the horse.

Usually I find Brian's work at IMS pretty informative, but this article was a bit confusing to say the least. So, is the postponed announcement going to be for two clubs in 2013 and the St. Louis thing is just an additional group for '14 (maybe '15) or was St Louis one of the two projected announcements leaving just one group joining next year?

Previously it was one new organization and one existing club joining for 2013 with details to be announced right about now. The USL Lions would qualify as an existing club if they are bringing in new ownership partners.

Personally, I believe if all eight clubs retun next year and keep a stable platform, the league is headed in the right direction. An expansion wave of 3-4 clubs in 2014 (with plenty of time to put theirselves together) would be quite nice.