NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

(If I'm USSF, I can't wait to rubber-stamp that NISA application with the Cosmos and hand it to the lawyers. What possible incentive would they have to do otherwise?)

Namrog The Just repped this.
  2. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love me some Kids in the Hall.

Beau Dure and billf repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't close the store!

5. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *taps head

Fan merchandise stores fail when most fans don't know that your soccer club exist or not...

oknazevad and billf repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even so, it's odd to close any retail outlet eight weeks before Christmas.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's the off season, November and December are a retail dead zone.

athletics68 repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't retail space generally expensive, depending on where it is? And in a 1.4 million square foot upscale outdoor mall, it would seem like you would need a lot a lot of foot traffic and merchandise sales to make that nut.

I mean, let's be honest: the Armada has not played a professional match in more than two years and don't appear likely to play in the near future. They weren't particularly popular at the time of their last pro game. Why would anyone buy any Armada merchandise unironically?

oknazevad, AndyMead and Doogh repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's been an amazing two years" he says, just like it's been an amazing 60 years for Major League Baseball in Brooklyn.

oknazevad repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one closes a store because it's too successful.

oknazevad, MLSinSTL, Gamecock14 and 2 others repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    oknazevad and MLSinSTL repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? They can make money off of it since there are people who will buy that stuff... They also sell "retro" gear from various teams who have changed their uniforms over the years, so this is no different. I actually saw a guy wearing a St. Louis Browns jacket (complete with the elf) a few years ago.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fans want to believe that their teams are just for them, while from the very start of the era of professionalism, they've been about making money for their owners with other concerns being secondary. Yes, there are some counter examples, but the whole of professional team sports has always been about owners having toys that either feed their ego or their wallet, hopefully both.

I understand why hard core fans convince themselves otherwise, and it leads to cognitive dissonance with presented with evidence to the contrary (those Carolina Hurricanes Whalers jerseys last year were legit!).

Ismitje, JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I was hoping some millennial who had had no idea of history somehow thought the old team was the Wailers, and they came up with a red, gold, black and green jersey to make everyone feel I-ree.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fans have been wearing the Whale in Greensboro (97-99) and Raleigh (99-now) since the team relocated. When I used to go as a fan (before I was media) I would wear the Whale to Sunday games. The team came down with a lot of Hartford (and New England) ties with Chuck Kaiton. Glenn Wesley's and Ron Francis (who they brought back) both have their jerseys retired. John Forslund and Trip Tracy still call the games on TV. Hell, in the early years Chris Berman and other Bristol folks used to show up at games.

A lot of Hartford(ers)(ians) send a lot of shade Raleigh-Durham's way (including one poster on BigSoccer in particular), but the Triangle's hockey fans have always honored and learned the team's prior NHL history - and some of us the WHA days. The one Stanley Cup we won was the first one played between to former WHA teams.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly don’t know if I consider any of that a good thing. The Whalers were and are Hartford’s not Raleigh’s.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't see any problem with honoring the team's past. The last media guide I have (seven or eight years ago) had three sections - Hurricanes Records, NHL Records, and a small WHA section. While Gordie Howe's #9 is not officially retired (and the other retired Whalers numbers were recycled), no Carolina Hurricanes player has ever worn the #9. (The only other unofficially retired number is the #3 for Steve Chaisson who died in a car crash late at night after the team returned from a playoff game against Boston back in 99).

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hell, the Oakland Athletics wore Kansas City A's uniforms in a home game against the Kansas City Royals.

[​IMG]

And the Royals, for their part, regularly don different versions of the old Negro Leagues Kansas City Monarchs uniforms.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

sitruc, billf and jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports is supposed to be fun. It's not a goddamned grudge match with the past.

23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn, if you're replying to me and my post, I agree that sports are fun. You can also learn life lessons from them ... in the case of the NeoCosmos, there's a great lesson in the impact of hubris.

In my day job, I look at organizational design and leadership. I've found the rise of MLS under Don Garber to be fascinating. However, the situation from the early 2010s to now where NASL imploded and USL rebounded has been even more fascinating. I really blame the Cosmos for that situation. Hopefully, we'll get a good book with insider information on this in the future.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I am speaking to the type of person who holds onto their outdated, misplaced grudges against this city or that city because they either beat their team that one time or their favorite team moved there for whatever reason or someone wore a throwback that reminded that person of what they used to have and blah blah blah blah.

Sports is entertainment. That's all it is for the end user. It's not a referendum on you or your city or your school, and it's not a morality play. If someone doesn't win the MVP or isn't unanimously awarded something or doesn't make the hall if fame, so frigging what?

oknazevad, Sal Paradise and Stuart95 repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Bread and Circuses.

Allez RSL repped this.