NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well the Cosmos did get Erik Stover from the MetroStars/Red Bulls. :p

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Exactly, big college sports programs take coaches from small programs ALL THE TIME...doesn't mean they are competition.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did. The better NASL players and coaches moved up into MLS, the lesser MLS players and coaches wound up in NASL.
    Kind if like any other industry where people who outperform move up, but in this case, because NASL was so pure and amazing, it's "poaching", not just the natural evolution of professionals wanting to perform at the highest potential for the highest pay they can earn.

kenntomasch, DanGerman, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't believe those Broadway plays get away with poaching the wait staff from Manhattan restaurants. It should be a crime.

BrianLBI, BalanceUT, Bill Archer and 5 others repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One, are you going to respond to the comments about you from the last few pages before you joined up and started posting.
    Two, are you getting any compensation, financial or otherwise, from Silva, Commisso, etc.? Only asking because they were doing so much astroturfing surrounding the US Soccer elections...

DanGerman repped this.
  6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not here to have an honest conversation.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Too bad. I think many of us appreciate when someone is willing to come in and force us to reexamine and rejustify our understandings and opinions on these matters. Being kept on one's toes is a good thing.

But, yeah, showing up with a bunch of echo chamber, conspiracy theory, Twitter fodder isn't a good start. Whenever someone on BigSoccer's first posts are in MLS N&A it usually doesn't end well. MLS N&A is the opposite of Reddit and Twitter. Superficially it can appear the same with plenty of piling on and even groupthink, but most of us are here because we are on the lookout for better understanding, not confirmation bias.

Ismitje, Bluecat82, BalanceUT and 15 others repped this.
  8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he didn't seem like your standard Bro/Rel fan that blindly believes that it'll solve everything. The only thing I can think that would deter him is his possible lack of knowledge of the sport here and its history. Hope he changes his mind and tries to engage us in an honest debate.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accusing anyone who disagrees with you of having confirmation bias is a form of confirmation bias.

BrianLBI, BalanceUT, xbhaskarx and 5 others repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal started negotiating with MLS on 2007, 3 years before NASL was formed, which leaves Minnesota as the only "poached" team.

There are only 3 teams left in NASL. The teams that signed the LoIs would never have been ready for 2018.

11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can we really characterize these as "poached" teams? I thought the selling point for NASL was that it was a collection of independent teams, free to operate as they chose as opposed to MLS' single ownership. Therefore, if one of NASL's independent teams, made the business decision to switch leagues, isn't that in keeping with their central tenant?

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

billf, RafaLarios, Paul Berry and 2 others repped this.
  13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when did NASL, or it's proponents, rely on facts?

jaykoz3 and NashSC repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a $5 million release fee.
    upload_2018-9-3_14-30-59.jpeg
    At least until he is sentenced.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

So, has he paid the players, coaching staff, back office, front office, vendors, or the local municipality yet in South Florida? There was much fanfare when he became a minority owner of an NASL "Club".

16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully they have all their ducks in a row and are ready to go.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have been reading excerpts from Jeff Perlman's new USSF book coming out soon.

It's downfall seems so much like the NASL, it's scary.

Step 1: Get "wealthy" owner in the biggest tv market
    Step 2: Don't realize that the new owner is only interested in going to the other league
    Step 3: Try to compete with the other league while ignoring what has worked
    Step 4: Don't vet new owners and small city owners don't push back
    Step 5: League collapses as most teams cannot sustain/compete with team of wealthy owner

billf repped this.
  19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I believe you mean USFL.

I had to re-read this post several times before I figured that out!

Zamphyr, sitruc, BalanceUT and 5 others repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you talked to Steven Bank. Wow. Yes, Virginia, everyone on this thread knows who Steven Bank is.

As for talking to him, well, he talks to everybody. And talks. And talks. The trick is to get him to shut up. Every goddam time someone writes anything about soccer they talk to Steven Bank. I dont know how Steven Bank has time to do any work other than bloviating about soccer with anyone who will listen.

No one has ever been able to explain to me why his opinion matters other than that hes " a lawyer", but lawyers are a dime a dozen on BS. There are six or seven who regularly post on the Crew forum alone.

Its interesting that you chose not to write his name, but perhaps its because hes a) not anything like "pro MLS" , as you claim and b) hes a well know pro/rel fanboy.

Who, btw, knows pretty much nothing about FIFA and how it operates despite what he pretends. With all due respect, and summoning as much modesty as Im capable of, Ive forgotten more about FIFA than Steven Bank will ever know.

But Im always suspicious of posters who want to play the "appeal to authority" card without naming the authority. You figured nobody around here would know who you were talking about.

Wrong. Everybody knows who you were talking about.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego 1904 is one, according to the guy running the show now. (Who was and may still be involved with that club.)

I have no inside info, but it would make sense in that case that Cal United might be another. (I know they were looking at going to USL's new D3 outfit, which also makes some sense because of Tucson being in the mix already, but I guess all things being equal, they'd go where they think they have the best chance of being part of a decent league.)

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah. My bad.

I meant to post some of the excerpts as well, but it would probably push this thread towards the politics section.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I like Steven Bank, and I actually think it's quite unbiased rather than being a pro/rel fanboy.

Everything else Bill said here is correct. Steven is neither a shadowy sage nor a knee-jerk MLS apologist.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a minimum standard or maximum standard for fail rates that can be used to interpret the phrase 'higher than it should be'? I'm unaware of such an animal.

AndyMead repped this.
  25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that, too. Thanks for confirming...

Also, I now have a new everyday example to use in the several classes in which I teach confirmation bias.

Jazzy Altidore and Beau Dure repped this.