NASL Expansion News, Rumors and Wishful Thinking Thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by oneeyedfool, Mar 14, 2015.

1. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This song immediately comes to mind.

Now I at least know what this "nineteen oh four" was about!

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, this team will never take to the field so you won't have to talk much

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s possible that the USL or more likely NISA would accept even if the NASL dissolves.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say you guys are not exactly in the demographic that uses that.

Just what a local told me.

And then there's this:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nasl-team-name-20171017-story.html

athletics68 repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don't think the SD team is one that is necessarily dead if NASL folds. It seems they're in the advanced stages of getting their stadium in Oceanside among other things.

6. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I've lived in San Diego the last 5 years or so and I only heard of 1904 within the last year or so. It was actually on the voting list that the SoccerCity folks circulated earlier this year but lost out to FootyMcFooty Face when that option went viral. I like the colors. Crest is cool. Hate the name but I imagine it'll grow on me.

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys need to join better gangs.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need someone to explain to me how New Orleans, Virginia Beach and other NPSL clubs are going to successfully jump to NASL. I get that Cosmos, Jax and Miami owners might prop them up to get started, but long term how does that work? They don't have the finances to do it. Most don't have stadiums to do it.

10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well VB City at least has their own SSS. It's in the middle of nowhere but its better than at a high school. I don't see them having the finances to move up though. Maybe if they partner with Norfolk's Tides (AAA) and Admirals (ECHL) ownership groups and the company that is building the Oceanfront Arena a few miles away.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So one npsl team has stadium that has failed pro soccer and football, and apparently no $$ ownership.

CharlottetownFC repped this.
  12. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the lawsuit doesn’t do in the league this boneheaded move most likely will.

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the Mariners were very successful until we got a new owner that didn't actually have any money and killed the franchise and no football league has been successful but the NFL.

I think because what happened with the Mariners the area has been hesitant with having another high level soccer team. However I think with the popularity of soccer higher than it was in the late 90s a new team can be popular here. I would prefer USL over NASL but ill take what I can get and support it, even if I don't live there anymore.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The new San Diego 1904 FC have announced officially their plans for a new SSS to be built in Oceanside, CA at the existing SoCal Soccer Complex along with upgrades to the same. The stadium will seat 10,000 and open in 2019. Looks like it was pushed back half a season from their original estimates, probably due to the instability with NASL. They'll open the 2018 season March 31 at USD's Torero Stadium.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/SD-1904FC-Announce-GM-and-Stadium-Home-453126303.html

ceezmad repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So if there is no NASL, will they end up playing in NISA or the USL?

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've yet to say. Given NASL isn't dead yet and they're committed until it is, I wouldn't expect them to say anything more until it does die. Especially since it's troubles seemingly took them by surprise. But we do know they have some history of speaking with USL, aren't a fan of its model, and they seem determined to play. So NISA might be a better fit unless they're determined to be D2 and can work something out with USL since the objections to USL they've raised seem more a misunderstanding of USL than an actual issue.

30King repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overreaction for missing the world cup?

2in10 and athletics68 repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the AFL.

And the Mariners were so successful that they had nearly as many ownership groups (four) as playoff appearances (six), and never drew more than 2,500 a game in a season.

And everybody who ever owned them lost a bunch of money (except Sidebottom, who never had any to begin with).

SoccerPrime repped this.
  19. pletch99

pletch99 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Winchester, England
    I think the idea that NISA is an option for San Diego in 2018 is pretty far fetched.

They have 6-7 letters of intend for a widely distributed group of teams.

Even if they gain the wreckage of the NASL, I would have thought best case is that they get Miami, Indy, Jacksonville, San Diego and Orange County. That's still a pretty national footprint. Most of the teams on the list would have a couple of busable games, but otherwise their costs are going to be not too disimilar to a division 2 league. Sure you could organise into a couple of conferences, but I don't think they have enough teams for a viable low cost league.

Obviously, they could spend a bit less on player salaries, but with so many new pro teams started up, I suspect the market will ensure that salaries rise even for the lowest of journey man.

If the NASL survives the court cases, it might be back with 8-12 teams depending on how much money Rocco and Silva are prepared to spend, but that would make NISA starting much less likely, although San Diego would have somewhere to play.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven’t you read the Wilt Manifesto? Travel costs are unimportant. duh.

-sarcasm-

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes